shelbynut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Toronto eh
State: Foreign

Chassis Swap

Post by shelbynut »

Hi All,

I have a 1969 Long box D-100. I picked it up a few years ago as a mostly finished project.

The previous owner bought it from a shop that did some customizing. Basically, they cut the front frame off before the axle and welded the front from a 93 Polara onto it.

So I have a 1969 D-100 with torsion bar suspension and 73 front disk brakes. Cool. My big issue is that they lost 3 inches in the wheelbase in this process. Yes, I have a 125" wheelbase D-100.

So it looks a little funny, since the front wheels are 3 inches further back than they should be. It's not really noticeable to most unless I point it out, but I notice it, and it drives me crazy.

Another issue is that I think something with the steering geometry is messed up. It's super sensitive, drifts all over the place. New power steering box installed, couple alignments, did the "pump it down" ps pump pressure drop, still all over the place.

Considering scrapping this hybrid chassis and throwing my rust free Arizona body on a new chassis.

Considering an 89 D-150 2WD std cab long box chassis. It's the closest I can find to the stock 128" wheelbase at 131", but at least I can split it between the front and back and have more modern

Anyone ever done such a conversion, and if so, what worked for you?

Jay
d100 small.jpg
69 D-100
Rust Free Arizona Body
73 Polara Front Clip, T-Bar Suspension, Disc Brakes, Cop Box
Original 318 +30, 360 Magnum heads, Procomp Airgap Intake, Holley 4BBL, 727, 8 3/4" w/3.73 Suregrip

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Re: Chassis Swap

Post by swptln »

You can do it, but there will be a lot of modifications to do to get your body to fit right. Cab mounts, core support, steering, etc. I did a frame clip with a 91 D150 to my 69 and it requires a lot of modifications, it worked real well, but like I said not an easy swap.
Click the link below.

IFS Frame
http://dodgesweptline.org/phorum/read.php?2,12455

More on the project.
http://dodgesweptline.org/phorum/read.php?2,12136
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

shelbynut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by shelbynut »

Going for the ultimate swap...got my hands on a complete 2008 ram 1500 Hemi 4X4 chassis and power train with all wiring, computer and keys. This should be fun!

Could take a while to pull off in my spare time in my 2 car garage, but that's what winter is for!

Jay
69 D-100
Rust Free Arizona Body
Original 318 +30, 360 Magnum heads, Procomp Airgap Intake, Holley 4BBL, 727, 8 3/4" w/3.73 Suregrip

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

shelbynut wrote:.... but that's what winter is for!

Jay
More accurate phrase would be: "winters are"

shelbynut
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by shelbynut »

True, will probably be working on it for more than one lol
69 D-100
Rust Free Arizona Body

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

It would be interesting to see how the later frame measures up. I would just take a boat load of measurements before starting especially with the 94-up frames where they had the engines set back under the dash of those trucks. You might find that the engine location might interfere with your firewall??
Mark D.

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

shelbynut wrote:Hi All,

I have a 1969 Long box D-100. I picked it up a few years ago as a mostly finished project.

The previous owner bought it from a shop that did some customizing. Basically, they cut the front frame off before the axle and welded the front from a 93 Polara onto it.

So I have a 1969 D-100 with torsion bar suspension and 73 front disk brakes. Cool. My big issue is that they lost 3 inches in the wheelbase in this process. Yes, I have a 125" wheelbase D-100.

So it looks a little funny, since the front wheels are 3 inches further back than they should be. It's not really noticeable to most unless I point it out, but I notice it, and it drives me crazy.

Another issue is that I think something with the steering geometry is messed up. It's super sensitive, drifts all over the place. New power steering box installed, couple alignments, did the "pump it down" ps pump pressure drop, still all over the place.

Considering scrapping this hybrid chassis and throwing my rust free Arizona body on a new chassis.

Considering an 89 D-150 2WD std cab long box chassis. It's the closest I can find to the stock 128" wheelbase at 131", but at least I can split it between the front and back and have more modern

Anyone ever done such a conversion, and if so, what worked for you?

Jay
d100 small.jpg
The earlier "C" body's had a sub-frame for the front suspension?? I don't know if the 73's were the same setup, but you might be able to just swap it to a non-power box. The early Chrysler power boxes were all pretty sensitive. I had a 69 Valiant with 2-finger steering :lol:
If my memory serves me correctly, the "C" bodies didn't have a K member that was removable, but I thought the boxes were the same as A & B bodies......
Mark D.

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

Creepjohnny
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa clarita
State: CA

Post by Creepjohnny »

I have a 71 d100 chassis that I'm fixin to sell. PM me if interested! I think 69 & 71 are the same chassis