**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
BigWooly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Harper
State: TX

No working key for gas cap. Suggestions

Post by BigWooly »

This is my first post, and I'm admittedly a full fledged tech tard, so please forgive any faux pas. Never been much of a gear head, mostly a motorcycle guy, but I've recently had a 70 model sweptline kinda fall in my lap via a mini storage lien sale. Oh what a sweet machine she is! My first major hurdle is getting the gas cap off. I know for a fact it's been sitting in an enclosed storage unit since Aug 15th 1992 but I really don't like the idea of drilling out the lock. Does anybody here have a better idea on how to remove the cap? I've got a key that says gas on it, but the lock won't budge. Been spraying WD-twanky in it for the last 3 days, but no dice. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. As soon as I can figure out how I'll try to post some pictures. But as stated above computers and I don't mix well.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: No working key for gas cap. Suggestions

Post by Jims68 »

:welcome to the site! I am not sure on "How" to un lock the gas cap, BUT... you could remove the neck from the tank and then take it to a lock shop. That way, he can open it, AND make you a new key. New Locking caps are pretty cheap though; the locking caps are about $12.00 and NON LOCKING caps about $9.00. REMEMBER, these gas caps are vented, but do NOT vent with a hole in the cap; so to speak.

See this post about "Vented caps" viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40252

IF IT WERE MINE... :2cents I would remove the NECK and drill/cut the old cap off and buy a new one. Locking caps were NOT a Dodge Sweptline accessory.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Gas caps were meant for honest people. Pretend your not honest and just do whatever it takes to get that sucker off. Try different keys. Might work. Drill it out. That will also work. :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

BigWooly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Harper
State: TX

Post by BigWooly »

Thanks for the input. I'll try the neck and read that thread. Got the title sorted out today so now I can officially start really wrenching on her.