wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Fuel Gauge reading 1/4 off

Post by wally426ci »

68 D100 - stock in-cab tank

I've had this issue for a long while and just deal with it but I'd like to get it right.

My tank reads 1/4 tank too high; so when it shows 1/4 tank, I am essentially empty. When I fill it up, it goes above Full.

Recently I tried bending the float arm in the direction that it is already bent in order to basically lower its position on the range of the span. That did not change much and if anything made it a little worse......

Any ideas? I have another sender which I believe to be 69 (straight pick-up tube) I believe this one gets me a little closer but need to double check again. I plan on working on it over the weekend to soldier the junction of the tube to the sender plate so I wouldn't mind fixing this issue while in there.....

:salut

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Fuel Gauge reading 1/4 off

Post by Jims68 »

Just a thought... maybe it is a bad gauge? Do an ohm reading for the Range on the sender unit next time you have the it out.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

I am thinking it could be the sender because this is my 2nd or 3rd fuel gauge? I will ohm test it but I won't get the gauges pulled before carlisle

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

wally426ci wrote:I am thinking it could be the sender because this is my 2nd or 3rd fuel gauge?
This makes me wonder... why? Hmmm.... voltage? Is it wired correctly (meaning, has anyone made any funky repairs of the harness). Yeah, I know it is a lot to look at in the amount of time when going to Carlisle! :salut

I think I have a spare sending unit, I'll see what the Ohm readings are on that.
Jim

GMAN69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by GMAN69 »

You said you bent float arm, your post said you bent it the direction it was already bent .it would need to bend it up.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

yes, it is already bent upward "V" from the factory so I continued that bend. :Thumbsup

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

Jims68 wrote:
wally426ci wrote:I am thinking it could be the sender because this is my 2nd or 3rd fuel gauge?
This makes me wonder... why? Hmmm.... voltage? Is it wired correctly (meaning, has anyone made any funky repairs of the harness). Yeah, I know it is a lot to look at in the amount of time when going to Carlisle! :salut

I think I have a spare sending unit, I'll see what the Ohm readings are on that.
Thanks Jim. I will keep everyone posted. Hasn't changed from harness to harness either. All wiring is in great shape.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

OK... first I have to say that this pickup/sending unit came out of a 1970 D200, although, from what I "remember" they were the same length as the 68 trucks. Here is what I found (after I got it working). It was dirty from the old gas residue so I took it apart and carefully cleaned the wire and the contact. CHECK your contact inside to see if that is going all the way from end to end. Maybe that is bent somehow...????? Then, make sure you bend the wire BACK to the original "set".

FULL - 71
HALF (approx half tank) - 90
EMPTY - 127

Your mileage may differ :lol:
Jim

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

68 and 70 senders are not the same. 70 is longer. I believe the ohms are the same, but 70 will not fit 68.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

powerwagon54 wrote:68 and 70 senders are not the same. 70 is longer. I believe the ohms are the same, but 70 will not fit 68.
That is why I put my "Remember" in italics in my last post. :lol: The old memory slips sometimes :lol:

Thanks for the confirmation :salut
Jim

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

Thanks yall. Wrenching tomorrow