**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
Adam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Wheel Color

Post by Adam »

I'd like to get my wheels powdercoated a close approximation of the original color. I had always assumed they were sand dune white ( a brighter white per a paint chip). After I had the tires dismounted, on the DD '63 and Parts Truck, the wheels appear to be more a a beige-y color. Almost like parchment, or dodge truck white, Mojave Yellow? Someone have some images to set me straight?

abodyjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.jersey
State: NJ

Re: Wheel Color

Post by abodyjoe »

ditzler 8358 is what i saw somewhere..

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetail ... tzler=8358

Adam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Adam »

wheel front.jpg
Wheel From '63 DD. Bet dollars to donuts this is original to the truck
wheel side.jpg
Wheel from '63 parts truck.
The paper is there for a 'white' comparison.

Adam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Adam »

I ended up having the tires from 3 different sets of early trucks wheels dismounted. I brought a set of four rims to my local powdercoater and snapped these images. I ended up going with BG-01, which looked slightly lighter than the original, unfaded color present on the inner portion of the rim. The bare rims were shot in sunlight. The finished product was photographed under florescent lights.
almond inside.jpg
almond outside.jpg
bg-01 inside.jpg
BG-01 outside.jpg
completed wheel.jpg

Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kenai Peninsula
State: AK

Post by Prormk »

Those look good. What size tires do you have mounted there on the freshly powder coated rims?

Commando66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Gig Harbor
State: WA

Post by Commando66 »

I had some paint matched to the inside of the rim like you did. It matched the rim just fine but since my truck is white, they looked odd not matching the body. I took my tailgate in the match the color and had the rims repainted to match the body. These are some expensive wheels now!

[IMG]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/Commando66/DSC03735_zps507e925c.jpg[/IMG]

fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cochrane
State: Foreign

Post by fireguyfire »

Can anyone tell me what the original rim colour would have been on a 69 adventurer? I am still trying to track down a set of original hubcaps for it but I'm curious about the steel rim colour underneath; mine has 80's rims which are going to go!
Commando66, your truck looks great!
My 69 adventurer is factory white with a black interior and I'm debating about doing the black textured paint on the roof like yours.

Adam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Adam »

@prormk Thanks!The tires are 7.00-15 LT. It's what I have run on the truck for the last several sets.
@fireguyfire All non-body color, non plated exterior metal (rims, grills, bumper, etc) for our trucks was painted either sand dune white or dodge truck white. The earlier trucks had a little more yellow (Dodge truck white?) and the later trucks, like yours were a brighter white (sand dune white?) Unless your body is also white no one will ever know if the shade is slightly off

abodyjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.jersey
State: NJ

Post by abodyjoe »

has anyone used the color map book to match the original color? if so what color did it turn out to be?

just took my truch to the shop to match some of the original paint on the roof and it looked to be #493C3. the color is a lot more grayish white then i thought but its damn close looking to whats on my truck.. the paint guy suggested that if i was gonna be off i'd want it more white then more on th e gray side.. it made sense..:)