PwrWgnDrvr wrote:No p/s
No power assist or disk brakes
No a/c
No radio
No o/d
No fuel inj
No big block
No girlie men driving
Terry that's a fine looking line-up you have there.......any manly women driving? :lol: :joker
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

dudewannabee
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: North grosvenordale
State: CT

Re: Power steering, whats the best way?

Post by dudewannabee »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Wow, you're going to pour thousands into that truck so u can haul stuff at 8 mpg?
A modern Cummins truck with all those features from the factory will do the job better and be 15-20 mpg.

WOW, do you think I will really get 8mpg?!?!?! That is great I was expecting 5-6mpg while towing!!!!

but seriously, I have a cummins (a couple actually), BUT I have duramax crew cab 3500 dually, leather heated and COOLED seats, nav, reverse cameras (yah 3 cams, 1 on the hitch, 1 in the tail, and 1 on the trailer), heating steering wheel, AND a POWER ROOF!!!! If I was going for mpg, I would just use that, lol...

Anyway, I DO NOT doubt there are better trucks out there to build or to buy and tow with, I want to build a 70-71 dude truck, I like it, I want it the way I want it and one of them wants is Power steering, this is a hobby for me, saying I can get a cummins to tow is like saying "well if you want a sports car, dont buy/build a Cuda, buy a new challenger". I am doing this truck as a toy, I always wanted a retro truck to blast around in, go grab parts, tow to the occasional show, my wife actually wants me to build a retro camper to tag along instead of staying in Hotels, that will be next summers project...

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Follow your bliss.... by all means. :Thumbsup
John

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

I did a power steering conversion on my 66 W100 20 years ago. Used a Dodge four wheel drive box with mount from a 76/77. Custom steering shaft to stock column. Used a GM 70's/80's truck 4 wheel drive adjustable drag link with slight extension. Shock mounts to rear of axle. Pittman arm locating spline removed so steering could be centered for the conversion. Steering box mount if I remember needed one hole drilled in frame and a tab on top. Pittman arm could be a bit shorter to slow steering down. A bit sensitive for those unfamiliar with my truck. Not that I allow anyone else to drive it very often. Steering box sits under battery tray area on outside of frame and barely shows.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

longbed67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: woodlands
State: TX

Post by longbed67 »

need some detailed pics of that install if you have them thanks

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

longbed67 wrote:need some detailed pics of that install if you have them thanks

Not sure when I could get those pics. Truck is still put away in garage for winter and is somewhat inaccessible for pics. Possibly in next week or two if weather is nice to pull it out and also time available :thinking .
P M me your e mail addy for pics.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

dudewannabee
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: North grosvenordale
State: CT

Post by dudewannabee »

SO, I called Frnk at cpp left 4 messages with my contact info on his voice mail, left a couple messages with receptionist, and 2 weeks with no calls back, so I am moving on, if I can't get through to order the kit, IMAGINE trying to get tech or warranty support, LOL.. NO THANKS!!!

So Back to other options, ANYONE have any other ideas, I am thinking about just buying the toyota box and fabricating the rest up myself, IF I do this I will make 5 or 6 of them if anyone else is interested, I see the pics of the cpp kit and its pretty straight forward, I can machine all of them parts in short time, and a friend of mine at Ideal pumps can get me the toyota boxes all rebuilt and rtg for $225 each if I buy over 4...

Any good pics or instructions from others who have done this?

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Toyota box
IM007585.JPG
IM007586.JPG
IM007587.JPG
IM007588.JPG

longbed67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: woodlands
State: TX

Post by longbed67 »

dudewannabee wrote:SO, I called Frnk at cpp left 4 messages with my contact info on his voice mail, left a couple messages with receptionist, and 2 weeks with no calls back, so I am moving on, if I can't get through to order the kit, IMAGINE trying to get tech or warranty support, LOL.. NO THANKS!!!

So Back to other options, ANYONE have any other ideas, I am thinking about just buying the toyota box and fabricating the rest up myself, IF I do this I will make 5 or 6 of them if anyone else is interested, I see the pics of the cpp kit and its pretty straight forward, I can machine all of them parts in short time, and a friend of mine at Ideal pumps can get me the toyota boxes all rebuilt and rtg for $225 each if I buy over 4...

Any good pics or instructions from others who have done this?
I found a kit on the uglytruckling site that might be close it adapts a Saginaw box to a 1943 1945 wc300 chassis a box that is known to work

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

Sub frame it with a 1st Gen dodge, then you can put any drivetrain you want. Which will be all bolt in factory stuff, plus you'll have IFS, PS, disc brakes, etc. along with increasing the front axle weight capacity.

http://dodgesweptline.org/phorum/read.php?2,12455
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

:lol: . Nice one pwrwgndrvr! My wife likes my big forearms and quads as well!! :Thumbsup
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta