**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
Papac3
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kennard
State: NE

Engine paint ?

Post by Papac3 »

Is there a current engine paint code for the turquoise color used on the 318s of the early 60's?

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Re: Engine paint ?

Post by 66patrick »

Mopar Performance P/N P4120752AB $12.99/aerosol can each.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar-Performance ... 3/10002/-1
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Post by hitparader »

Most poly 318's of the 60's were red, Mopar paint P4349218. http://www.mymopar.com/enginecolors.htm

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Red was the predominant color on A318, LA318, and 273 engines (and some 1969 340s) from around 1963 through 1969 (1966 on the Poly A). Turquoise was the color for big block engines from 1963 through 1969 (except Hemi and most 440 engines). I can remember a Turquoise A318 in a '66 D100 several years ago, but the owner at the time changed the color from red, because he didn't care for the red.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

aqmet
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Norcross
State: GA

Post by aqmet »

The information I have been able find indicates that the color of late 63, 64 and early 65 318's were turquoise. See the attached response from the Walter P. Chrysler museum from a few years ago when I asked them this question.
TW009.jpg
The best engine paint I have found is by Hirsch, they sell on line and have the correct big block turquoise.

http://www.hirschauto.com/AEROSOL-ENGIN ... RY%20TURQ/
1964 D100 - Town Wagon 318 NP435
1964 D100 - Town Panel /6 A745

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

It surely is model-specific but I have never seen a turquoise Poly 318 in sweptline pickups. All that I have seen are red.

- EM

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

I put this together a few years ago and it based on info gathered from a lot of guys trucks. Just keep in mind Dodge did a lot of non-standard thing to the trucks.
http://www.dodgesweptline.org/tech_ref.htm

I always use the MP engine paint it holds up real well too, so whatever works. Just as an FYI, don't let anyone tell you it has to be high temp paint. That is big old fat wives tale, the biggest problem with painting an engine is a lot of people don't use primer, use a good quality automotive primer and any type of automotive paint will last for years. I've painted engines with all kinds of paint from lacquer to the modern urethanes and they will hold up just fine as long as the parts are prepped and under primed correctly.
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

LuckyBaldwin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Stockton
State: CA

Post by LuckyBaldwin »

i've only seen 1 turquoise poly. years ago when i worked in the snow cat shop at keystone colorado, one of the apprentices showed up one day with an old convertible 63-64 fury he had just bought. it had a turquoise poly 318. the guy he bought it from told him it was an old 440. told him "you can tell it's a 440 because it's turquoise". so maybe some cars had them, but i'm thinking turquoise polys were repaints by lying sacks of sh... trying to pass them off as 440s to make more $$$ on the sale.

i just finished rebuilding the LA318 from my '68 W100. i used duplicolor "chrysler red". i'm happy with the results.
CameraZOOM-20160523182258388.jpg
i only prime the rusty sheet metal parts. i wipe the cast iron parts off with a white rag and acetone. and keep wiping them off until the white rag stays white. then i use 2 light coats and a final wet coat. i wait 10-15 min between coats. (10 on warm days, 15 when it's cool)

that's what works for me. best method is to experiment and find out what works for you. good luck!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

As I've noticed over the years....
'62- Early '65 - Chrysler Turquoise
Mid-'65-'66 - Chrysler Industrial Red

John

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

LuckyBaldwin wrote: i only prime the rusty sheet metal parts. i wipe the cast iron parts off with a white rag and acetone. and keep wiping them off until the white rag stays white. then i use 2 light coats and a final wet coat. i wait 10-15 min between coats. (10 on warm days, 15 when it's cool)

that's what works for me. best method is to experiment and find out what works for you. good luck!
Any automotive paint will not stick to bare metal/cast iron and plain old primer is not designed for bare metal as well. It will work for a short time/quick fix.
Any bare metal, cast iron included needs to be treated with some sort of metal etching primer/sealer. Most of your basic primers are designed for filling, leveling and color blocking and require sanding for adhesion. Primer/sealers are not designed for filling or leveling, also primer/sealers do not require any sanding for paint adhesion, as regular primers do. Another thing to keep in mind a lot of your regular primers are porous and will absorb and hold chemicals and moisture, etching primers are sealers and are not porous, so they will not absorb chemicals or moisture once they are fully cured. That is one of the reasons they have to be top coated before they are cured.
So, basically what happens is the top coat/paint chemically adheres to the primer/sealer and becomes one, as well as adhering to the surface.

As Lucky explained, cleaning, dry time and multiple recommended coats is key to the product working correctly.

As an example, Rustoleum's red-oxide rusty metal primer is a etching type of primer, there grey primer is not.
I use PPG DPLF etching primer/sealers on any bare metal surfaces, which can be painted directly with no sanding, unless it has cured, then it needs to be sanded. Just my :2cents
Mark D.

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

The "old wive's tale" that I fell for in my youth was Dodge motors = Orange, Plymouth motors = Blue/Turquoise....... My first car (69 GTX) had a blue big block engine with orange heads. Somebody had removed the 440HP block & stuck a 383 in its place, using the 440's 906 heads. Seller didn't bother disclose this but instead told me the Orange/Blue lie & me being a 15yr old dummy believed him.

The late 65 Poly I had was red.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

712edf wrote:The "old wive's tale" that I fell for in my youth was Dodge motors = Orange, Plymouth motors = Blue/Turquoise....... My first car (69 GTX) had a blue big block engine with orange heads. Somebody had removed the 440HP block & stuck a 383 in its place, using the 440's 906 heads. Seller didn't bother disclose this but instead told me the Orange/Blue lie & me being a 15yr old dummy believed him.

Bucky
:shame That's a good one, never heard that one before :lol:
Mark D.

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome

Post by MadMC63 »

I was actually told that back in the early 80's. My 71 318 is/was turquoise. I've noticed some sites refer to it as old Chrysler blue instead of turquoise.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

abodyjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.jersey
State: NJ

Post by abodyjoe »

712edf wrote:The "old wive's tale" that I fell for in my youth was Dodge motors = Orange, Plymouth motors = Blue/Turquoise....... My first car (69 GTX) had a blue big block engine with orange heads. Somebody had removed the 440HP block & stuck a 383 in its place, using the 440's 906 heads. Seller didn't bother disclose this but instead told me the Orange/Blue lie & me being a 15yr old dummy believed him.

Bucky

lol..

orange was high performance color

turquoise was low performance color. except on some 340's

from what i remember anyway..

abodyjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by abodyjoe »

best way to paint the motor is make sure its super clean.. then a spry with a nice epoxy primer then use a nice high solids polyurathane paint..

buy as little as ya can of the Hirsch paint and have it color matched in a high solids polyurathane. it will hold up a lot better.

here is the motor we did for the wifes dart.. orange but you get the idea..

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

abodyjoe wrote:

Bucky

lol..

Yes, orange was an HP color, but there were also HP packages on turquoise big blocks. LA motors were blue from 69-71 not turquoise. LA's were red 61-68.
Mark D.

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome

Post by MadMC63 »

Did Chrysler use any other shade of green on 71 LA's. My block has very little paint left on it and it's aged turquoise?
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

MadMC63 wrote:Did Chrysler use any other shade of green on 71 LA's. My block has very little paint left on it and it's aged turquoise?
I had some 383's of the 67-71 era & they looked green, but I suspect they were just faded & dirty.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

abodyjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by abodyjoe »

swptln wrote:
abodyjoe wrote:

Bucky

lol..

Yes, orange was an HP color, but there were also HP packages on turquoise big blocks. LA motors were blue from 69-71 not turquoise. LA's were red 61-68.
A 60's 340 was turquoise or red. Not blue until what 72. And orange from 70-71 for the most part.

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

Keep in mind guy's the colors used on cars did not coincide with the trucks. I don't believe turquoise was used on any LA motor car or truck.
1970 was the first HP 340 and believe they were the first orange LA motor.

Here is an article I wrote on 61-71 Sweptline truck Engine identification and color.
http://www.dodgesweptline.org/tech_ref.htm
Mark D.

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab