ischilf
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Helena
State: MT

Tow Bars

Post by ischilf »

Hello everyone.

So my students and I have decided that the old sweptline has shown us about all there is to know about the older style of vehicle (I'm not ready to let them touch my 06 Magnum R/T yet) so I located an 84 F250 Diesel. The thing is I need to get it home. I removed the front bumper and am now trying to figure out how I can mount a tow bar to it.
The thing is I'm not sure about using only a tow bar with safety chains to drag it home. Should I just leave the manual trans in gear with the T-Case in neutral? Will that protect the trans ok? I understand the T-Case will get lubricated by the chain sliding through the gear oil.

By the way, the tow vehicle is a 1970 W200 318 A/T with a new 4 bbl intake and carb.

Let me know what y'all think.

Ian

Trust me I'm a shop teacher...

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Tow Bars

Post by dodgeboykim »

ischilf wrote:Hello everyone.

So my students and I have decided that the old sweptline has shown us about all there is to know about the older style of vehicle (I'm not ready to let them touch my 06 Magnum R/T yet) so I located an 84 F250 Diesel. The thing is I need to get it home. I removed the front bumper and am now trying to figure out how I can mount a tow bar to it.
The thing is I'm not sure about using only a tow bar with safety chains to drag it home. Should I just leave the manual trans in gear with the T-Case in neutral? Will that protect the trans ok? I understand the T-Case will get lubricated by the chain sliding through the gear oil.

By the way, the tow vehicle is a 1970 W200 318 A/T with a new 4 bbl intake and carb.

Let me know what y'all think.

Ian

Trust me I'm a shop teacher...

Ditch the tow bar and find an appropriate trailer to move it. Towing a heavy pickup with a tow bar is a recipe for disaster if something goes wrong. But you do what you want. Its your bacon. :pale
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

:goodpost

Ian, get a trailer somehow (rent, borrow, beg, or buy). You'll be glad you did.

Walt

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Agreed with the other guys. Trailer from Uhaul or local rental $55 a day. Uhau| has surge brakes, but a controller is better. I just hauled an empty uhaul trailer 700 miles and back 700 with a D200 aboard. It cost me $120.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Adding to our previous posts. We impart our knowledge onto the younger generation and lead them to do the right and safe thing. Using a tow bar sets the stage for the younger generation to take shortcuts and do things in a possibly dangerous way. We lead by example and they learn by example. Teach them the safe :study way the first :Thumbsup time and stress that. :2cents
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

Note: if you rent, and if they ask you what you will be hauling on the trailer... consider your answer carefully.

Many years ago UHaul (various places) stopped letting me rent when I told them I was going to haul a 196x Dodge pickup truck. So I began renting to haul a 198x Nissan Stanza ! :salut

ischilf
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Helena

Post by ischilf »

I would prefer a trailer but the only place that would rent me a trailer are the local places that must return the trailer to them. I am looking at having to get this truck from Missoula MT up to Noxon MT.

If I go with U-Haul and tell them I'm dragging a Civic I am screwed in the event I have an accident. Their contracts only cover the vehicles mentioned. I can not afford to drive the sweptline another 140+ miles to return a trailer to missoula.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

The U-Haul computers probably wouldn't have either vehicle in their computer (tow vehicle/vehicle being towed) so they may not allow it. Otherwise, get a one way trailer in Missoula and return it to Libby.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

For long distance towbar tow, remove the driveline at the differential, otherwise the output bearing on the last gearbox will overheat.