**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
Styxs11
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: St. Paul
State: OR

Steering wheel rubbing

Post by Styxs11 »

Every time I go to turn my '70 Utiline, the upper part of the steering column starts to howl. Wheat would cause this? Is there a bearing o some sort that needs replacing?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Steering wheel rubbing

Post by Hobcobble »

Styxs11 wrote:Every time I go to turn my '70 Utiline, the upper part of the steering column starts to howl. Wheat would cause this? Is there a bearing o some sort that needs replacing?
There is a shaft bearing underneath the turn signal switch. On the '69-'71 columns, I believe
there is a plastic centering "collar" at the bottom of the shaft too. Others can verify... as its been years
since I've had one apart. The noise might be coming from the bearing or perhaps by rubbing if
your shaft has moved inside the column a little. This can come about through weak front cab
mounts which causes the cab to settle which can put pressure on the lower portion of the column. :2cents
John

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Re: Steering wheel rubbing

Post by WD »

Bad rear cab mounts or sagging floorboards cause the same issue in the column. Innards shift, you hear odd noises. Oil the central shaft, check your cab mounts, check the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame.

The newest Sweptline left the factory 45 years ago... Unless yours leaked/sprayed oil constantly, it will have weakened mounts and hardware by now if ever used as a truck.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...