**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
jjfordguy007
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cuyahoga Falls
State: OH

Gas tank help

Post by jjfordguy007 »

Hi, I just recently purchased a 68 D100 and I am trying to get it up and road worthy for the summer. I have decided to start with the fuel system and after taking the fuel tank out to have it cleaned I discovered that the tank had a lot of rust and a hole that had worn into the bottom of the tank from the sending unit. The problem that has come up now is that I cannot find an aftermarket tank. I found a used 1969 tank on ebay, will the 1969 tank bolt in? I see the sending unit is not in the same location and that is ok as I will be running all new lines due to the corrosion in the lines. My other thought is to just buy a mustang tank and put it under that bed. any thought on using the 1969 tank or is the mustang tank a better idea? Thanks!!

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Gas tank help

Post by Jims68 »

I know someone else should answer this better than me, but I believe that the 69-71 tanks are bigger. I am not sure if you would have to do any modifications or not. I "THINK" that it has something to do with the mounting holes? Eh... I better be quiet now. As for the Mustang tank? IF IT WERE MY TRUCK; I would rather just get another gas tank that fits the truck behind the seat already.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

The mounting holes are different, plus you will have to relocate the jack and handle from inside the cab to a new location in the bed or the factory spot under the hood, as the '69-'71 trucks have. Pretty painless swapout, really.

I had thought about using a Mustang, Ramcharger, or early Blazer tank under one of my '68s, but decided against it. I don't want a filler cap on the bed floor, nor do I want to cut away at the area where the license plate attaches in order to put a fill tube. Nothing wrong with a in-cab tank. People would have you believe these are somehow huge fire hazards in a crash, but I can NEVER recall ever seeing any make truck with an in-cab tank, as a burn-out in a wrecking yard. So long as the rubber filler neck seal is good and your soft line going from the tank forward is new and pliable, you should have zero problems with your in-cab tank.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

66patrick wrote:The mounting holes are different, plus you will have to relocate the jack and handle from inside the cab to a new location in the bed or the factory spot under the hood, as the '69-'71 trucks have. Pretty painless swapout, really.
Ah.... I forgot about that jack next to the tank. I suppose he would have to cut away that "bracket" that it mounts too behind the seat on the passenger side (See Pics for example).
Attachments
Sweptline Jack 70-71.jpg
Sweptline Jack 68.jpg
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

jjfordguy007
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cuyahoga Falls
State: OH

Post by jjfordguy007 »

Thank you for the information. I guess I will keep looking for the correct gas tank. I don't have problem making brackets or modifications to run a tank in the cab I just want to keep it clean looking. I have even debated running a f-100 tank a buddy has and fabricating whatever brackets are needed.

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

I have the tank. pm sent

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

FYI, my 69 has the in cab jack retainer... And what I would assume is the factory installed fuel tank. Unmolested 69-71 dash as well. Dodge would keep using older cab stampings until they ran out. Only major visual difference 68 vs 69-71 cabs is the dash.
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

powerwagon54
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Washougal
State: WA

Post by powerwagon54 »

wiper arms are different.

coelcanth
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by coelcanth »

wait my '69 has the inside cab jack bracket as well.. do you mean this is indicative of an older 'cab stamping' ??
i have a dash with the crash pad
and my original tank holds about 15 gallons

is that the large style tank or the smaller ??

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Floor and firewall and fuse block and wire connectors and pedal assy are also totally different between 68 and 69. No way was a 68 "stamping" used in 69! Cabs are assembled from numerous pieces. Some components changed over the years, some didnt. ie, roofs and windshield frames are exactly the same from 61-71.

oldfrogdiving
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: melbourne
State: FL

Post by oldfrogdiving »

Dunno if this would help and it certainly cant be said that I'm a purist, but My recently purchased 66 D200 came with a gas tank un-attached no sender or filler hose. My truck also came with a utility bed strapped upside down to the hack job steel flatbed the PO mounted. I had an old diesel fuel tank from a water buffalo I think, I swished some gas in it cleaned it out and plumbed it its currently secured and grounded on the bed of the flatbed. The truck drives fine after rebuilding the carb and doing some wiring for brake lights turn signals. If you just want to drive it like I did until I can get the money to buy the sender and repair the utility bed. I'm kinda digging the flat bed though...
66 D200 225 uti (ex mil, gone but not forgotten)
71 W200 318 4spd limited slip 67k
89 F250 7.3 idi 61k
87 Dodge Raider 91k
96 F350 4x4 PSD 109K

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

The later larger tanks will NOT just bolt in. I have one in my '67 W200 ('68 cab) and I had to cut the back inner wall to get the larger tank in. It basically takes every square inch of space behind the seat plus is taller. I made straps to hold the tank. Drilled to fit the bottom stock holes, formed the strap to fit tank shape, drilled holes on top for upper bolts and used the clip nuts to bolt it in. Not sure what the correct names is for the nuts but some are used in the rig stock IIRC which is where I got the idea. Local hardware store had them.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

WD wrote:FYI, my 69 has the in cab jack retainer... And what I would assume is the factory installed fuel tank. Unmolested 69-71 dash as well. Dodge would keep using older cab stampings until they ran out. Only major visual difference 68 vs 69-71 cabs is the dash.
Not likely. The '69 uses the later dash, and the two dashes are NOT a direct swap-out. As mentioned, the wipers are VERY different. So, the '69 trucks use the '69 cab. You guys need to remember that unless the part was going to carry over DIRECTLY to the new model year, the "old" parts were not simply "used up" on the assembly line. ANY "extra parts" were directed into the Dodge parts network, to depots, then to dealers.

Or. like the case of six-pac parts, many were simply destroyed! My bro-in-law worked at the Denver parts depot from the mid-Sixties through the late '70s. They tossed many brand-new Hemi, Six-Pack, and other factory performance parts, complete engines, and more into the dumpster, by order of Chrysler. If anyone was caught trying to haul anything off for themselves, they were immediately fired on thespot.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

66patrick wrote: Not likely. The '69 uses the later dash, and the two dashes are NOT a direct swap-out. As mentioned, the wipers are VERY different. So, the '69 trucks use the '69 cab. You guys need to remember that unless the part was going to carry over DIRECTLY to the new model year, the "old" parts were not simply "used up" on the assembly line. ANY "extra parts" were directed into the Dodge parts network, to depots, then to dealers.
Not to mention the change from hydraulic to manual clutch systems...

John