**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: strathmore
State: Foreign

well i picked up my sweptie

Post by builder »

Found the history for it to be good, previously owned by Marshal Motors, with records of maintenance going back to 1999, since it was owned by the dealership, the maintenance was kept up to 99. steering has a rusty grind in the column, but its tight.breaks have no wear on the shoes but the drums need turning, the rubber hoses have no cracks or bubbles, no condensation in the oil, carb accelerator pivot is frozen but i think the one barrel is the same as the one barrel I had on my 66 fury poly 318. going to blow out the gas tank and the lines and send the tank to a buddy that can boil it and pressure test it.going to dump all fluids including the standard tranny np435, any additives anyone is using ? so its been sitting for 15 years.... oh yeah stoked this thing is so simple going to be fun to work on it !

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: well i picked up my sweptie

Post by Jims68 »

Sounds like a nice little project! HAVE FUN!! :salut
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by builder »

Jims68 wrote:Sounds like a nice little project! HAVE FUN!! :salut
oh I will been wanting one of theses for a while , just could not find one the year I wanted , so please if anyone else reads this post , count on me asking questions that i will not find posted or you guys might know of the thread to look for , to answer my question .

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Well, what year is it?

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer

Post by marklein »

Pics too please.

pwadventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pwadventurer »

Using my psychic abilities, i'd say 67 D100, 318, NP435. images/icons/smile/mrgreen.gif

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by builder »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Well, what year is it?
67 Fargo d100

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by builder »

well i did a little work on it on Friday , the good , motor runs , the bad ignition switch is hooped, the gas tank is full of rust,as well as the fuel line the carb leaks .

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

That probably has the Carter BB carb? If so, those are pretty easy to rebuild. Also, the fuel lines aren't that bad to replace either if you buy sections at say... a NAPA dealer or something like that. Also, pull the gas tank out and remove the fuel sending unit. Then, put some kerosene in the tank and a section of CHAIN about 2 feet long. Then, swish shake and dance around with the tank. Keep doing this until you've cleaned out the tank. Hope that helps you with some encouragement! :salut
Jim

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Diesel fuel is the same thing as kerosene and probably cheaper.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Diesel fuel is the same thing as kerosene and probably cheaper.
Thanks for pointing that out... I believe you are right. I didn't think about Diesel... but I know Kero is getting kind of "pricey"! :thinking
Jim

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by builder »

Jims68 wrote:That probably has the Carter BB carb? If so, those are pretty easy to rebuild. Also, the fuel lines aren't that bad to replace either if you buy sections at say... a NAPA dealer or something like that. Also, pull the gas tank out and remove the fuel sending unit. Then, put some kerosene in the tank and a section of CHAIN about 2 feet long. Then, swish shake and dance around with the tank. Keep doing this until you've cleaned out the tank. Hope that helps you with some encouragement! :salut

send me a link to the download site Jim , I have the step/rocker panels that are factory original , but the panels they mount to are gone too. thanks in advance

A

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

builder wrote:
Jims68 wrote:That probably has the Carter BB carb? If so, those are pretty easy to rebuild. Also, the fuel lines aren't that bad to replace either if you buy sections at say... a NAPA dealer or something like that. Also, pull the gas tank out and remove the fuel sending unit. Then, put some kerosene in the tank and a section of CHAIN about 2 feet long. Then, swish shake and dance around with the tank. Keep doing this until you've cleaned out the tank. Hope that helps you with some encouragement! :salut

send me a link to the download site Jim , I have the step/rocker panels that are factory original , but the panels they mount to are gone too. thanks in advance

A
See this:

viewtopic.php?t=1489

I am sending you a PM about it too.
Jim

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by builder »

carb is off , top gasket is sucked in , never seen that.....yet. gasket set on order. gas tank might be replaced with one from washington.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

builder wrote:carb is off , top gasket is sucked in , never seen that.....yet. gasket set on order. gas tank might be replaced with one from Washington.
Never seen that before either! I suppose your gas tank was really bad? Then a better one is DEFINITELY a better choice! I am not sure about the gas tank sealers anymore since I had a motorcycle tank sealer go bad and loosen and break down. So.... now I am a tiny bit skeptical about that stuff.
Jim

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by builder »

actually Jim a guy , bought a 66 fury after seeing mine , we chacked the engine out and he complained about a high idle so I adjusted his choke kick down, looked at his carb same as mine BBD and noticed his is about to be sucked down. and the gas tank after pulling it this weekend, had about 5 inches of rust on the bottom , seriously bad load of gas. i pressure washed it out and am bringing it to a friend that has a rad shop . bought some fuel line and am going to rebend the lines. replace everything. going to have fun on the body (Mashal) is pretty rusty. marshal is the name of the truck since it was owned by marshal motors an old dodge dealership.

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer

Post by marklein »

Use only 80w-90 in the trans, if you put synthetic in it, you will not get it to shift without grinding.

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by builder »

marklein wrote:Use only 80w-90 in the trans, if you put synthetic in it, you will not get it to shift without grinding.
Really? so you are saying a good thing is too good for the transmission , it likes old crusty bad stuff so no one is using an additive then I take it .

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

builder wrote:
marklein wrote:Use only 80w-90 in the trans, if you put synthetic in it, you will not get it to shift without grinding.
Really? so you are saying a good thing is too good for the transmission , it likes old crusty bad stuff so no one is using an additive then I take it .
I used 90Wt Gear Oil in my '68 3 speed trans and it shifts great!
Jim

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

builder wrote:
Where did he say to use old crusty bad stuff?