1969 318 Dual Exhaust (w/Headers)

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

1969 318 Dual Exhaust (w/Headers)

Post by Noelie84 »

Well, it happened. One of the pipes just behind the headers developed a hole on the way in to work today. I got to looking at the pipe, and it's in fairly sorry shape. Not sure if a weld patch would hold for very long (and the rest of the system is far from new) so I'm thinking about just saving myself the headache of constantly patching the exhaust by replacing the entire system. I'm looking at this kit from Summit, but I want to be certain that it'll fit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-1 ... 100-pickup
I've got a welder, so if I can get the right system it'll be pretty easy to install in my garage myself. The alternative is to take it to a shop and have them make me something from scratch, but the local Midas wants big $$ for that. Has anybody used the system above, and if so did it fit correctly? Any pieces that had to be swapped/re-bent for them to work?

Edit- I've got a 1969 D100 long bed, with 318 & a 4 speed (Chrysler A833)
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: 1969 318 Dual Exhaust (w/Headers)

Post by Noelie84 »

As an amendment, if anybody knows of a different exhaust system that will work that they've installed/had installed themselves, could you let me know where to find one?
Thanks!
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Haven't used it, but definitely keep us posted if you decide to do it.
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Have you run this job by any local exhaust shops? :idea :thinking
Even the chain shops [Midas, Cole, Munro, etc.] have some real
skilled guys that might be able to put together something for you.
I had a local kid that worked for Midas Muffler do some nice work
for me on a couple of my Sweptlines. :clap
John :2cents

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Noelie84 »

The local Midas shop quoted me nearly $800 for a replacement system (without replacing the headers-I asked), and they said that it might cost more because they'd be custom-bending all of the pipe.
No Monro Mufflers around here, and no Cole shops either. There's a company called VIP, but they're not known for their high-quality work.
I asked a local guy (I use him for work on my '84 that I don't want to do or don't have time for) for an estimate and he had no idea, again because he couldn't find any complete systems from any of the local parts suppliers, so he'd be doing it piece by piece as well. He also wasn't too enthusiastic about it, because he doesn't keep exhaust parts on hand and doesn't have a bender, so he'd be running back and forth if anything didn't fit right.

This biggest incentive for me is pricing; I'm doing it on a budget and the $200 kit is looking more and more attractive. It doesn't included mufflers, but I'm considering straight-piping or X-piping it anyway. I just was hoping that somebody could point me to a kit that would work with minimal custom bending/fitting.

coelcanth
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by coelcanth »

I just replaced my complete exhaust system (everything from the manifolds back) at a small local independent shop earlier this month.

I asked the guys to duplicate the single pipe system that was already there and reuse the stock hanger points. I also had them replicate the round-the-oilpan style collector pipe. out on Long Island the total cost out the door for muffler and install was $450. the pipes are guaranteed for one year and the muffler for life (if it rusts out). don't really know what that means, but they seem like stand up guys and the work is just fine. the old girl certainly sounds and performs like a new truck !

my only qualm is that they made the tubing run under the front frame rail instead of tucking over it as was original. it's still not the lowest point on the truck so i don't think it will be a problem but in the future i might have it changed or have a go at fixing it myself.

when I asked a similar question in another thread a year or so ago, someone else quoted their going rate around $400 for shops in the midwest. so my price here on the east coast seemed fair.
I expect if you were installing a true dual system you might save a bit on labor avoiding the complicated collector pipe, but you might make up for the discount in additional parts.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Noelie84 wrote:The local Midas shop quoted me nearly $800 for a replacement system (without replacing the headers-I asked), and they said that it might cost more because they'd be custom-bending all of the pipe.
No Monro Mufflers around here, and no Cole shops either. There's a company called VIP, but they're not known for their high-quality work.
I asked a local guy (I use him for work on my '84 that I don't want to do or don't have time for) for an estimate and he had no idea, again because he couldn't find any complete systems from any of the local parts suppliers, so he'd be doing it piece by piece as well. He also wasn't too enthusiastic about it, because he doesn't keep exhaust parts on hand and doesn't have a bender, so he'd be running back and forth if anything didn't fit right.

This biggest incentive for me is pricing; I'm doing it on a budget and the $200 kit is looking more and more attractive. It doesn't included mufflers, but I'm considering straight-piping or X-piping it anyway. I just was hoping that somebody could point me to a kit that would work with minimal custom bending/fitting.
Although that kit you posted a link to states it works for a late Sweptline era truck, I'm
a little skeptical. :thinking Lifestyle era frames are different. I guess you could always
return it if it doesn't fit right... :thinking :2cents Sometimes, the outfits selling replacement
parts overlap their years to include models that the parts aren't compatible with.
John

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Noelie84 »

Hobcobble wrote:
Noelie84 wrote:The local Midas shop quoted me nearly $800 for a replacement system (without replacing the headers-I asked), and they said that it might cost more because they'd be custom-bending all of the pipe.

Although that kit you posted a link to states it works for a late Sweptline era truck, I'm
a little skeptical. :thinking Lifestyle era frames are different. I guess you could always
return it if it doesn't fit right... :thinking :2cents Sometimes, the outfits selling replacement
parts overlap their years to include models that the parts aren't compatible with.
John
I know, that's the part I'm concerned about, haha!! I used to work at a parts shop, and whenever we got more than 30 years back the part# cross references were hit or miss.
Sigh. I might end up just marking and disassembling the old exhaust and bringing it in as a template to have a custom pipe place bend me some pipes. Then I can tack them together with the welder and test fit until they're lined up correctly. Beats paying return shipping to Summit, I guess. :banghead

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johnson City, Tennessee

Post by HEtkind »

When I put my 68 Utiline Shortbed, 318/727, together, the entire exhaust got replaced, hedman header from summit, purple horny glass packs bolted to the headers and finally a local shop bent some pipe for turnouts under the bed steps in front of the rear axle...I think I was under $300 for EVERYTHING.

Howard
Howard
Johnson City, Tennessee
62 Dodge D100 Town Wagon
62 Dodge M-37
68 Dodge D100 Utiline
2007 Dodge Ram 1500ST

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Noelie84 »

HEtkind wrote:When I put my 68 Utiline Shortbed, 318/727, together, the entire exhaust got replaced, hedman header from summit, purple horny glass packs bolted to the headers and finally a local shop bent some pipe for turnouts under the bed steps in front of the rear axle...I think I was under $300 for EVERYTHING.

Howard
I bet that sounds pretty sweet!!
I'm looking to keep the dual shotguns out the back; I like the look and the sound. Plus if I had them dumping out in front of the rear wheels I'd probably never get the girlfriend to ride with me again! :lol:

Hardcase
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by Hardcase »

I would definitely try a local shop. I had a single exhaust done on my '61 Utiline last month for $200, everything from the manifold back, and it was all custom bent. A first-rate job.

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HEtkind »

Noelie84 wrote:
HEtkind wrote:When I put my 68 Utiline Shortbed, 318/727, together, the entire exhaust got replaced, hedman header from summit, purple horny glass packs bolted to the headers and finally a local shop bent some pipe for turnouts under the bed steps in front of the rear axle...I think I was under $300 for EVERYTHING.

Howard
I bet that sounds pretty sweet!!
I'm looking to keep the dual shotguns out the back; I like the look and the sound. Plus if I had them dumping out in front of the rear wheels I'd probably never get the girlfriend to ride with me again! :lol:
It does, a little loud, but great in the hills of NE Tennessee...

Howard
Howard
Johnson City, Tennessee
62 Dodge D100 Town Wagon
62 Dodge M-37
68 Dodge D100 Utiline
2007 Dodge Ram 1500ST

riffraff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newport Beach
State: CA

Post by riffraff »

I recently had an custom exhaust built out of 2-1/4" stainless, with stainless mufflers for my 383. All mandrel bent, with a crossover ("H") tube. I also had a sensor bung welded in, for tuning.

About $750 cash, in CA. One thing that saved money, and I kinda regret, was having the exit in front of the tires. A bit loud with my short box. Maybe not so much with a long box.

Also, I changed passenger-side manifold to a center dump to match the driver's side, and get rid of the flapper valve. Spent some money on ceramic coating those, but I plan on keeping the truck a longgggg time....

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36208
Tom
1969 W100 383/435

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

riffraff wrote: One thing that saved money, and I kinda regret, was having the exit in front of the tires.
The first thing I plan to do when I get my '65 W200 on the road is take it
to the local muffler shop and have them run the pipes back to the bumper.
The system is new.... but the previous owner had the system dump in front
of the rear wheels.... :banghead :censored
John

riffraff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newport Beach
State: CA

Post by riffraff »

Hobcobble wrote:
riffraff wrote: One thing that saved money, and I kinda regret, was having the exit in front of the tires.
The first thing I plan to do when I get my '65 W200 on the road is take it
to the local muffler shop and have them run the pipes back to the bumper.
The system is new.... but the previous owner had the system dump in front
of the rear wheels.... :banghead :censored
John
I actually put a fair bit of thought into the exhaust system, but forgot to chat with the shop about sound volume. Also, I have a full size under bed spare tire, so it made sense--at the time. Right now, I'm somewhere between getting used to it and getting tired of. Getting tired of it has got the edge--although it does sound cool ;)
Tom
1969 W100 383/435

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Noelie84 »

Hardcase wrote:I would definitely try a local shop. I had a single exhaust done on my '61 Utiline last month for $200, everything from the manifold back, and it was all custom bent. A first-rate job.
riffraff wrote:I recently had an custom exhaust built out of 2-1/4" stainless, with stainless mufflers for my 383. All mandrel bent, with a crossover ("H") tube. I also had a sensor bung welded in, for tuning.

About $750 cash, in CA. One thing that saved money, and I kinda regret, was having the exit in front of the tires. A bit loud with my short box. Maybe not so much with a long box.

Also, I changed passenger-side manifold to a center dump to match the driver's side, and get rid of the flapper valve. Spent some money on ceramic coating those, but I plan on keeping the truck a longgggg time....

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36208

Hm. I'll have to get some more quotes from some other local shops, I guess. I knew Midas was trying to rip me off, but didn't realize they were trying to do it that bad. They were quoting me aluminized pipe, too. :banghead
Last edited by Noelie84 on Fri May 08, 2015 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HEtkind »

Midas is a high production shop, low wage workers working frantically on mufflers, pipes, brakes and shocks. Ever since we got emission controls and stainless steel exhaust systems muffler shops have not done well. They have to justify the very high overhead somehow...for the time it takes to fix your truck right, they could do six shoddy brake jobs. If a decent set of brake pads cost ME $50, how can they do a brake job, with labor, materials and overhead for $99...

Had to the change the rear heat shield on the 08 Jeep Wrangler, and had to pull the muffler to do so...I just ordered a complete muffler and associated hardware from Rock Auto and did it in a few hours at most...Around New Years, in an unheated shop. (Not really unheated, I could have lit the potbelly stove, but job didn't last long enough)

Howard
Howard
Johnson City, Tennessee
62 Dodge D100 Town Wagon
62 Dodge M-37
68 Dodge D100 Utiline
2007 Dodge Ram 1500ST

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Noelie84 »

HEtkind wrote:Midas is a high production shop, low wage workers working frantically on mufflers, pipes, brakes and shocks. Ever since we got emission controls and stainless steel exhaust systems muffler shops have not done well. They have to justify the very high overhead somehow...for the time it takes to fix your truck right, they could do six shoddy brake jobs. If a decent set of brake pads cost ME $50, how can they do a brake job, with labor, materials and overhead for $99...

Had to the change the rear heat shield on the 08 Jeep Wrangler, and had to pull the muffler to do so...I just ordered a complete muffler and associated hardware from Rock Auto and did it in a few hours at most...Around New Years, in an unheated shop. (Not really unheated, I could have lit the potbelly stove, but job didn't last long enough)

Howard

True. I just wish I could find a kit that I knew would work, because like I said before I can fit and weld a kit together myself, but I can't custom bend pipe myself. A kit would be cheaper, but I might end up having to bite the bullet and have a shop do it.
Oh well, nobody ever said that owning one of these trucks was cheap. :lol:

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HEtkind »

Why don't you just design your own system and have your local shop do your bends to order? JC Whitney used to sell and probably still sells prebended pipe segments.
Howard
Johnson City, Tennessee
62 Dodge D100 Town Wagon
62 Dodge M-37
68 Dodge D100 Utiline
2007 Dodge Ram 1500ST

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Noelie84 »

HEtkind wrote:Why don't you just design your own system and have your local shop do your bends to order? JC Whitney used to sell and probably still sells prebended pipe segments.
That's what I was thinking about doing. Just marking the current system and dismantling it, and bringing it in to a shop for them to use as a template to bend me new parts. Then I could just fit them to the truck, tacking them together as I went, until I had it routed correctly. :thinking
It'll probably end up being the route that I take, since I haven't had any luck finding a prefabbed kit.

Maybe I should have bought a Chevy... :lol: :joker