**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
RobertGilliam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Clinton
State: TN

Speed odometer

Post by RobertGilliam »

Installed a NOS speed odometer, odometer is working mph is not, Help!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Speed odometer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Defective, send it back!

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

Just installed a 'new' one myself during my dash redo. The old one was frozen stiff, would not turn by hand, so got a good easy-to-turn used one from the parts truck. Put a couple of small drops of oil in the bearing housing before installing. Put in a new speedo cable, too. When I first tested it, I drove around the neighborhood. NO SPEEDO! Like yours , the odometer worked though. All it took for mine was going faster one time, as my tests were only at 10 mph... It has worked fine since. Have you had it out on the highway?

Could be the reason it was 'NOS' was it was an inoperable takeout? Best of luck.
:usa

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

PwrWgnWalt wrote:Just installed a 'new' one myself during my dash redo. The old one was frozen stiff, would not turn by hand, so got a good easy-to-turn used one from the parts truck. Put a couple of small drops of oil in the bearing housing before installing. Put in a new speedo cable, too. When I first tested it, I drove around the neighborhood. NO SPEEDO! Like yours , the odometer worked though. All it took for mine was going faster one time, as my tests were only at 10 mph... It has worked fine since. Have you had it out on the highway?

Could be the reason it was 'NOS' was it was an inoperable takeout? Best of luck.
:usa
The cable itself is square and spring loaded so when you put it in when it's new it needs to turn some for the cable to line up the square hole it goes into on the tranny also.

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

But if the odometer is moving, the cable is obviously doing its job... Any luck yet Robert?

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

PwrWgnWalt wrote:But if the odometer is moving, the cable is obviously doing its job... Any luck yet Robert?
This is true, just giving a little background for him. The grease on old NOS parts dries up and that's probably what happened to your speedo needle. A NOS light switch did the same thing on my Challenger, when it heated up from having them on a while, it's fixed itself and works like new.

RobertGilliam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RobertGilliam »

Speedometer started working after getting up to about 30 which was actually 50 mph, works fine now and have 150 miles on my truck. Problem is its off about 20 mph due to going from 355 to 323 gears and 17 in. Does someone have gears and which one should I use?

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

Depending on what you have, there'll be a gear in the transmission (or transfer case) that you can change to effect the ratio the speedometer cable turns at. What transmission do you have? (will assume D series, unless you note W).

Someone just posted a speedometer gear chart, I think (by color).

RobertGilliam
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RobertGilliam »

1969 three speed Looks like I need a 30 tooth based on the chart numbers