**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
smit0911
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Arvilla
State: ND

dash pad?

Post by smit0911 »

In my '67 D200 is a pad bolted to the passenger side of the dash, probably to prevent the passenger from smashing their head into the dash. I have seen this pad in quite a few sweptlines, so was it a stock or option item and was it only in certain years? Also it seems as if this pad would prevent what I assume is the ashtray from opening all the way up? Speaking of the ashtray???? Mine is frozen shut and I do not want to force it or use heat so other than soaking it in penentrating oil what other ideas are out there. Thanx

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Re: dash pad?

Post by Txas2step »

Dash pad in '67-'68 years only. The ash tray just pops out. If you can see the bottom from under the dash, push up on it with a hammer handle.

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

Soopernaut said that the pad was an option '65-'67 and it was standard on '68s(I think he said). The pad in the pic doesn't look the same as my '68 has different "stitching". They put the same kind of pad in '68/'69 Darts at knee level. It's the same pad, but not sure it's the same length(maybe shorter). I sold a Dart one on egay for $300 about 5 years ago. On Darts there is a short one at knee level on the left side of the steering column too, BIG $$$. If you happen across a Dart one at a junkyard, you can get good money for them, real rare option.
I think your only option is penetrating oil on your ashtray.
Here's a link on ashtrays and pads... viewtopic.php?f=31&t=33846
Attachments
3r13M13q85Gf5rc5t4d6r4e37b8d195491250.jpg

behindthebadge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ozark
State: AR

Post by behindthebadge »

The dash pad started in '67 - maybe late year. It is a safety feature. Same thing with the low-glare matte black paint on the dash (instead of body color) to reduce glare.

As to the "ash tray" - my understanding is that the one on top of the dash was THE ash tray BEFORE the addition of the dash pad. You are right that the pad restricts access to this tray.

On my truck - the ash tray is a slide out unit located under the dash. According to the '67 Dodge Truck brochure, page 5 - the "ash tray" on the top is called a Dispatch Box.

I guess since it became useless as an ashtray and since it was too expensive to retool the whole dash to remove it - they had to think of something to call it... so somebody came up with DISPATCH BOX. :lol:

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The ashtray appears to have been optional in early yrs. Many trucks dont have one - just a smooth dash.
None of my 67's or 68's had an ashtray under the dash pad.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

You didn't specify if the stuck ashtray was the one in dash or under. Assuming your speaking of the upper in dash ash tray, I have encountered 2 trucks in my playing that did not have actuall ash trays on top of the dash but rather a fixed block off plate. Before oiling or trying to force it out stick your head under there and be sure its really a functional piece. I speak from experience when I say you can really screw up a dash trying to force it out.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

damn carl, yer still alive! How are the girls? (all 4 of em)

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

Everyone is doing good, all 4 are gettin bigger and meaner while i just get older lol. . Just livin life best we can.

smit0911
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Arvilla
State: ND

Post by smit0911 »

I really apreciate all the help and insight, kinda cool learning about a rolling piece of americana! As i sit in my truck and look at the extent of detail that went into every feature . For example the shape of the rear view mirror bracket, just compre it to the cheapo, dull looking mirror bracket used in modern cars. It is for this reason I find very little appealing about any modern vehicle.I picked up my 67' for 1500.00 and drove it 100 miles home @ 60-65mph . I think I got the ol' Dodge pick-up fever! A bit of off the topic, but my truck was one of 4 owned by a vet dying of agent orange posioning. I lost my job shortly after getting the 67' late last year, bummer cause the guy called and said he was gonna sell the other 3 all for 1500.00, one being a turn key 6 banger with some sort of power assist steering. Body needed paint but pretty minor body work. Back to the topic, reply to WIDEBLOCK; that ashtray or dispatch box is in dash and come to think of it when i looked up from underneth i cant quite see a ash tray-I think its just gonna stay shut, serving as a item of curosity. Does anyone know of the whereabouts of an underdash ashtray for resting those long stogies? Thanx again

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

wideblock wrote:Everyone is doing good, all 4 are gettin bigger and meaner while i just get older lol. . Just livin life best we can.
Wideblock...good to see you post.Are you getting back in the sweptline game or just on to straighten out us "know-it-all's". :lol: Ever back in the Houston area ?Chris

I learned something new on the filler vs ashtay. :Thumbsup

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

I'm out of the swept game for now. Sold just about everything I got including the under dash ashtray this guy needs. Still got a damn near mint black dash pad though if anyone needs it. Just lurkin in the shadows for now till the finances get right to jump back in the game. Still got the fever, I don't think there is a cure for that.

Just as a side note on this topic... this Is pure educated speculation but back in the day the dealers would dress vehicles up to sell better. They all did it. Its thought that you can tell by the ashtray if your dash pad was factory installed. The dealer wouldn't have gone thru the effort of installing a dispatch plate. They would have simply bolted the pad on with the underdash ashtray and called it good. Where as the factory would have done the job right and installed the proper hardware. Also seen the term dispatch used across the board to describe anything that was factory eliminated. First I have heard it called a dispatch box for the ashtray cover up but you see the radio delete vehicles with "radio dispatch plates" in the dash.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

deleted
Last edited by PwrWgnDrvr on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Been looking at all my 67's and 68's. NONE have an ashtray, or plate, under the dash pad - just nice, smooth dash. I would suppose the only ones with a hole under the pad happened when the pad was added post factory. Either a dealer, or owner. Wasn't the ashtray an optional item, like the ciggy lighter was?

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

Never seen a smooth dash. Every truck I have come across had a ashtray or the hole for it.

Hit me up with a pm or a phone call. I saw your deleted post before you deleted it. You know what I want :)

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

nytemuvr wrote:Soopernaut said that the pad was an option '65-'67 and it was standard on '68s(I think he said).
No, I said not all 67s came with one. Later ones were more likely to have one. In 68 they were standard. Some people with 67s also mentioned they had the ashtray below the dash so that could have been a mid year change.

According to the 67 brochure the ashtray was standard. The dispatch box is also known as the glove box and is not the same thing.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Every 67 that I have had (at least a half dozen) had a dash pad(except my D500) They all had the block off plate that Trey spoke of.The 68 dash is a one year bast@rd just like the hood.Smooth top like Terry said. :2cents

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

I had a 67 d200 that didn't have the dash pad.