**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
DaveRoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Greensboro
State: NC

Aftermarket A/C

Post by DaveRoss »

Long time lurker, first time poster. Ya'll have been a great deal of help in many areas.

I bought my first truck a couple of months ago - a 71 stepside. The Oklahoma summers are hard on an old feller like me, and the 2-60 A/C is not cutting it.

Any insight on aftermarket A/C is needed...where to start, do I need a bigger radiator?

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

Vintage air makes some great units. A websearch should turn them up. I'll defer the cooling question to an expert.

mesman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Largo, Fl
State: FL

Post by mesman »

Hey Dave! You didn't go to school in Catoosa did ya? Drive a '73'ish Demon?
I always wanted to be a BEACH BUM!

MODOG

Post by MODOG »

I just picked up a 70 model that has factory air all in the dash all you would need is the under the hood parts witch I think is just a compreser
and hoses.I live just south east of KC MO I could e-mail you pic's I was just getting ready to start stipping parts off her.Make me an offer all I can
say is :shame .I lucked out on the master cylinder and booster mine went out and I threw the one off this truck in mine and it works great.Let me know.

DaveRoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DaveRoss »

mesman wrote:Hey Dave! You didn't go to school in Catoosa did ya? Drive a '73'ish Demon?
Nope, went to Grandview HS in south KC.

DaveRoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DaveRoss »

Seabee wrote:Vintage air makes some great units. A websearch should turn them up. I'll defer the cooling question to an expert.
Thanks, a websearch of 'aftermarket air conditioning' already brought up Vintage air in the number 1 position. I was just looking for some validation.

With the temps approaching 95, I was starting to sweat it.

:lol:

73_Adventurer_Sport
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lindale, Texas

Post by 73_Adventurer_Sport »

I installed a Vintage Air system in a '64 Valiant 2 years ago and am currently installing another in my '73 truck.

Vintage Air parts all seem to be good quality, but they don't make a standard kit for any Chrysler products. I had to make a custom plate to mount the compressor and alternator on my truck, though I could have searched the wrecking yards for a late model small block bracket. Other than that, it's relatively easy to install everything.

I wanted a factory look, so I cut holes in the dash for the vents. The easy way is to use their under-dash vent housings. Because I wanted the factory look and location, I had to make some sheet metal adapters to attach the hoses to the vents. It took a little time, but it wasn't difficult.

I also wanted the controls to look less aftermarket, so I fabricated a panel to mount in the same location as the stock controls, and then I removed the switches and MetalCals from the Vintage Air panel and re-mounted the switches in the dash.

I'm pleased with the cooling ability in my Valiant convertible. With the top up, it will freeze you out in 100 degree weather and with the top down, it still blows cold air on my hands and in my face, so that helps a lot in mid-summer.

There is no need to change your radiator, though I can't sit idling very long in very hot weather. However, that's because there isn't enough room to install a clutch fan on my Valiant. The truck was no problem.