**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
saskfargo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: moose jaw
State: Foreign

318 with edelbrock intake questions

Post by saskfargo »

so i had a cb radio setup lying around my house and my buddy wanted to trade me for a 318 edelbrock intake that is almost brand new cause he had no use for it so i traded but now im curious can i use my factory 2 barrel carb on this until i save the money to get a edelbrock carb and i dont know much about the models of carbs. witch carb would work the best on my truck and whatnot? some help would be great thanks guys! also my truck is a 71 fargo 200 with a 318 if that helps

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Re: 318 with edelbrock intake questions

Post by Txas2step »

I'd say just sit on it until you can spring for a 500-600 cfm Eddie. No gain to swap it out and put your 2 barrel on it with an adapter :2cents

saskfargo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by saskfargo »

so is the 500 or 600 cfm mean the size of the carb? i dont know much about the carbs

gyman98
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Saskatchewan

Post by gyman98 »

Ya Cfm stands for cubic feet per minute. Basically the volume the carb will flow. What color is your Fargo? I've never seen it around Moose Jaw before, sometimes I drive around a black and orange Fargo crew cab and sometimes a Fargo w200

saskfargo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by saskfargo »

its orange it looks real rough right now with primer cause i had to take it out of the shop over the summer. i have never seen either of your trucks around moose jaw!

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Sir
Just so that you know ... most after market intakes that have 318 cast into them are for
The LA-360 Heads.

The Inlet Head Ports for all 318's are one size and The Inlet Head Ports for any LA-360 are
much larger. Because of this it is as if having an 3/4 inch pipe and trying to flow the matter
into an 1/2 inch hole. The Intake Manifold to Head Bolts are the same location and Part Number.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

rockingkay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lake City
State: FL

Post by rockingkay »

I put an edelbrock 318 intake an holley 600 on my truck. It really made the truck come alive in the lower rpms to about 4000 rpms after that you can feel the hps drop off. I used an edelbrock intake gasket. and had to grind the edge off the valve covers were they met the intake. I was happy with the out come and say it is way better then the ww 2barrel that was on it.

gyman98
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Saskatchewan

Post by gyman98 »

saskfargo wrote:its orange it looks real rough right now with primer cause i had to take it out of the shop over the summer. i have never seen either of your trucks around moose jaw!
I think I seen your truck last night, too dark to see if it were a dodge or Fargo, sitting on Athabasca...
I drove by in my Fargo crew cab

saskfargo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by saskfargo »

sorry ive been busy lately and yes that was my truck on athabaska st east i still have yet to see your crew cab around haha. so the intake may not work on my 318 is what your saying?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

saskfargo wrote:so the intake may not work on my 318 is what your saying?
You can always port match the intake to the heads if your carefull. That will smooth the transition.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

You'd be better served selling that intake or using it as trading stock. What you really want to find is a Holley/Weiand intake for a 273 that was a stock 4bbl car engine. Same sized ports as a 2bbl 318 cylinder head.

Supposedly there were 2 port sizes on 318s from 68-72, large port heads (rare) and small port heads (dirt cheap and readily available still). The large port 318 is still smaller than the 360 sizes used in most aftermarket LA intakes.

Been there, still looking for a 273 4bbl intake for my 69 D100 and I started looking in Sept 2004 when I purchased the truck. I want an iron intake, mine is primarily a farm truck.

mikeys_toy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: wilkeson wa
State: WA

Post by mikeys_toy »

What model intake is it? Late edelbrock performer ports are sized in between the 318 and 360 for easy port matching. If you're lucky enough to find an 70's intake, they're usually close.
I have an edelbrock sp2p 318 in which the ports are smaller than the 318. The edelbrock streetmaster I'm running now is almost right on.
The only reason I'm running the performer on my 5th ave is so that I can keep my a/c.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

LD4B intake is made for a 318, so you could look for that