**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fruita
State: CO

Tire Size question

Post by maxmac »

I'm working on a '66 D-100 Town Wagon and the wheels and tires are totally shot and completely mismatched. Looks like it had 16" originally with a 7.00X16 tire on it. The rear end has 15" wheels.

My question is how big of a tie can I put on a stock D-100 without it hitting fenders/steering components, etc? I found a set of 5x4.5" Jeep wheels off a newer Wrangler Rubicon with a set of 265/75/16 tires on them that I can pick up cheap while I continue with the rebuild.

Any advice is appreciated. Posted a pic of the girl for your viewing pleasure...
Attachments
DSC_0019low.jpg

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Re: Tire Size question

Post by Rodger »

Mac

You have an five hole pattern. This means in more modern vehicles you
are limited to 15 inch wheels. Around Colo Spgs this is an $25 per wheel
item.

The 235 x 75 x 15 sized tire is an good combo.

Will the Jeep Wheel fit to the Sweptline ??? The center hole must also match.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by maxmac »

Thanks for the feedback. The 265's I was looking at would have been too big. I wound up finding a matched set of Dodge 15" steel rims with brand new tires on them. They are 235's and I only have about 1.5" clearance at the front of the tire. I think part of this is due to the sag on the springs. They are basically shot but needed tires first. Springs come later...

Here's a pic of the new tires/wheels. They came with the half moon hub caps but only 2 trim rings. Oh well, I can find trim rings cheap!
Attachments
CS LOW.jpg

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Im not real familiar with the townies, but have comments stating they are built on the same chassis as the swepts. If that is true, there is a guy near me parting a nice 65 D100 that has nice front springs available. pm me your email adr and I will fwd it to him.

runcharger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: B.C.

Post by runcharger »

Big improvement anyway!

Sheldon

maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by maxmac »

Thanks Sheldon. When I saw that the hubcaps came with the wheels, I couldn't turn them down! Truck looks way better than it did. I was nervous about the tires that were on it. Truck sat in a field for 15 years and I swear the front tires were original to the truck!!

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Im not real familiar with the townies, but have comments stating they are built on the same chassis as the swepts. If that is true, there is a guy near me parting a nice 65 D100 that has nice front springs available. pm me your email adr and I will fwd it to him.
A fella left a note on my PW in PDX one day about a TW. He was in a company rig so I did not see it but walked up when I showed. He confirmed the chassis in those years is Sweptline while the earlier ones ( like our '57 TW/PW) were on Power Giant chassis.