door latch experts needed

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

door latch experts needed

Post by Kaegi »

I cant figure out why my latch does not open right. when door is open and you pull the handle the star wheel spins freely. let go and it stays put. but when you wnat to open the door it doesnt want to release all the way so i have to sit there and move the handle back and forth real fast and it finally releases. the pencil in the pic points to a spring. that spring does not appear to be broken. is there something else inside I cant see going on? driving me crazy!!Image

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Re: door latch experts needed

Post by Kaegi »

made one observation dont know if it matters though. if you push the button all the way in the wheel spins like it should. but when you let go the mechanism does not release all the way without help. but I still dont get how that would stop the door from opening when the handle is pulled. I understand how the mechanism not returning all the way to shut position woudl prevent the door from closing tightly though. and it doesnt close all the way I have to then give it another push to get it all the way shut tight. :banghead :banghead :banghead

jeffz
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Mesa
State: AZ

Post by jeffz »

The inner half of the star wheel was way more worn on mine. Not much you can do if thats the case, except drill out the rivets and repair/replace the star wheel. Hope you cleaned and lubed it since that pic was taken!

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

jeffz wrote:The inner half of the star wheel was way more worn on mine. Not much you can do if thats the case, except drill out the rivets and repair/replace the star wheel. Hope you cleaned and lubed it since that pic was taken!
I am suggesting the same as Jeff. HOLD the button in and inspect the INNER STAR WHEEL. Most likely one of the teeth is broken off. You will need to either replace the lock, or the star wheel as Jeff mentioned.

Jim

BillyBones
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Marysville
State: WA

Post by BillyBones »

Where would you find a star wheel? I drilled the rivets and set it 180 degrees and it works great!

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

BillyBones wrote:Where would you find a star wheel? I drilled the rivets and set it 180 degrees and it works great!
Try to find a broken lock that someone wants to toss out. :thinking Here again... There was a company that was reproducing the star wheels... but no longer. I know I needed a star for my 56 DeSoto... and I used a truck lock star wheel to fix it. So, if you have access to 'old cars' you may want to look at OLD MOPARS too. OR... just post here and try to find a used lock. (probably the easiest) :salut

OH... they are specific to the side too. So, a Right Side Star will NOT work on a Left Side Lock.

Jim

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Jims68 wrote:
BillyBones wrote:Where would you find a star wheel? I drilled the rivets and set it 180 degrees and it works great!
Try to find a broken lock that someone wants to toss out. :thinking Here again... There was a company that was reproducing the star wheels... but no longer. I know I needed a star for my 56 DeSoto... and I used a truck lock star wheel to fix it. So, if you have access to 'old cars' you may want to look at OLD MOPARS too. OR... just post here and try to find a used lock. (probably the easiest) :salut

OH... they are specific to the side too. So, a Right Side Star will NOT work on a Left Side Lock.

Jim
At some point in time, Gordo had some of these star wheels available new. :thinking
Maybe he could enlighten us all on this topic.
John :idea

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Hobcobble wrote:
At some point in time, Gordo had some of these star wheels available new. :thinking
Maybe he could enlighten us all on this topic.
John :idea
I didn't know that Gordo had them... I know that Vintage Power Wagons (I think that is who it was) had them made, but they no longer have them.

Jim