**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

ATTENTION MR. ROBIN.....

Post by wideblock »

you got to go pick up the june 2004 issue of classic trucks magazine bro. ignore all the chevy and ford crap thats thru most of it, and go straight to page 81. nice size article on a toyota power steering box that replaces the old ford frame mount steering boxs and works with the straight axle set up perfectly. this looks to be damn close to the same set up as whats on our trucks, and looks like a world less hassel then rack and pinion. check it out and let me know if i did good in finding this. thier source for the kit was classic performance products, buena park ca. (714) 522-2000 http://www.classicperform.com
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

you know, after reading this article again real fast, and looking in my book, all that would be needed to modify it to work on our trucks is to simply take out the ball mount for the ford steering link, and make a hole for the dodge link to bolt into, and then fab a different mounting bracket for the box to bolt to the frame. wouldnt even need the kit, the parts are from a 80-84 toyota 4x4, im sure there are plenty in the bone yards, and a gm power steering pump. make a couple hoses and a bracket, and your in business my man. now wheres that damn thumbs up smiley????
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

http://www.classicperform.com/product-p ... 6PSK-T.htm heres the link to the kit. looks to me like a new mounting bracket to fit our trucks, drill a hole in the pitman arm and boom, your in business.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Good find

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Excellant Trey,
My Classic Truck magazine must have went ot the old address, for I looked several times yesterday and nothing.
Sounds like you have a very good idea!
Clint did you see the drop axles? Thats what I was thingking of haveing designed and made only with either the spindles from a regular truck or a Dakota, I like those drop axles!

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

those tubular drop axles would save a lot of hassle bringing down the nose of our trucks. i think a tubular drop axle, power steering, and 4 wheel power disc brakes with your engine/tranny set up would make for an even sweeter ride. i like the way you set up your truck, but there is a bit too much clearence between the front tires and fenders. i have one question, why wouldnt one of them ford drop axles work as a replacement in our truck? might have to modify the spring perches a bit. but thats simple compared to fabbing a whole new axle. lug pattern is the same, and it uses all after market parts. seems like it would make for a pretty sweet set up.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Axle

Well Trey I agree with ya,
years ago I took my truck for a brake job and they put on Ford Brake shoes, and I've known for years that the ford bolt pattern is the same and now that you mentioned it, everything pretty much is the same, the spring purchases look almost to be exactly the same as mine, it is definetly something to serouisly think about. :thinking

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

classic performance

Trey,
I looked at their products and yes it would be an easy installation to use the ford arrangements, however being stubborn and a Mopar man I think that making the drop axle to accept the Dakota spindles is more to my liking, then making them available for everyone, I still like that Toyota Gear box it does look like something to put on very simple, I also like the looks of the monosprings, I just need to get my truck up here and get with a bodyshop owner that has expressed interest in helping fabricate parts for the suspension to make it a "G" machine. :banghead