'68 Hydraulic clutch problems

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
bikemonster

'68 Hydraulic clutch problems

Post by bikemonster »

I've got a '68 D-100 with a hydraulic clutch. In rebuilding the clutch master cyclinder found I need the stop that is located at the back of the internal spring. I found the part on the Sweptline diagram of the hydraulic clutch diagram - referred to only as "stop". I have ordered - and sent back - two Wagner rebuilds, and one Raybestos and one AC Delco. None of them come with the stop!! Any ideas or suggestions. Rebuilts are about $80-90 and I am on a tight budget. Thanx in advance.[/img]

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Where did you see this picture? Is it in the service manual? I would like to see it so I know what you are talking about. Is this something that "should" be part of the rebuild, or is it something that you would use the part from your "old" master cylinder? I am not sure if I turned in my old master or not... A bit more info, and I can look at my old stuff from my 68.

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

bikemonster

Post by bikemonster »

I am new to this internet stuff so bear with me. I think I sent you an e-mail, but then I am not sure. I found the blow-up at //sweptlineparts.com, clicked on Sec. 6 Cluth parts and went to the Hydraulic Clutch MAster Cylinder. The part is identified only as a 'Stop'. It is a flat rubber washer, about 1/8" thick with a 1 1/8" diameter. Thanx for your response. Tim

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

I did get your email, and I also sent you a picture of the washer. It is a OVAL metal washer that sets inside of the boot. I will send you one more different picture, so look for it in your email. The boot that I have isn't any good. The new master cyl that I got did include a FLAT plate. In other words, they did away with the type that you are using. and now they have a flat metal plate that sits flush on the master cyl. This plate NOW becomes the stop washer. and the boot slips onto the flat plate. IF you need a picture of the back of my master cyl that is already installed on my 68, then I will take a photo of that if you need it.

Jim
Jim

bikemonster

Post by bikemonster »

Thats not it, but I appreciate your efforts. I will try again by making a cork washer and see how that works. Any advice on adjustment. I have rebuilt the slave and now the master.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Sorry, those are the only parts I have left from my old Master Cyl. As for the adjustment, I believe it is all done down on the slave cyl. You shouold have 3/16" free play at the throwout arm on the clucth slave cyl. I will send you another pic on that too.

Jim
Jim

bikemonster

Post by bikemonster »

Thanx Jim. As I get farther along I will post you on my progress. My pick up is a step-side with a 318 - 4 on the floor. It's a blast to drive. It spent most of its former life as a farm truck, so it's had some rough use. The body for the most part is in good shape with a little rust. It had a rooted out wood bed so I removed the wood to replace it and refinish the steel rails. About that time my ex-wife and I got a divorce and she 'cleaned' out the garage which included throwing out all the bed parts and all the Dodge trim. Sucks, but that's life. When I figure out exactly what I need, I'll be shopping. Thanx again Tim

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Tim,
E-mail me about this "stop". I have a couple of old
clutch masters I can look at.
Where are you located?
John
P.S. ... cjgroves@msn.com
Put a "clutch" heading on your e-mail
as I'm pretty quick with the DELETE
button.

A440cuda1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cheney
State: WA

Post by A440cuda1 »

I picked up a Reman'd slave and master cylinder from a NAPA wearhouse for $30 and $45 respectivly. after those prices, I could justify rebuilding the ones I had. the Napa parts have lasted me about 7 years now, no complants yet.
1962 D100 Short bed project
1963 D200 Long bed
1970 D200 Long bed

Many other old rigs, not sweptline related.

bikemonster

Post by bikemonster »

Appreciate your help. Was it recently that you got those, or 7 years ago. Hadn't thot about reman'd. Duh!
Thanx

A440cuda1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by A440cuda1 »

Why don't you drop the additude and spend more time looking for parts. $65.89 from rockauto.com. Give me another hour and I'll find more for less....did you even start looking or just buy the 1st parts you found?
1962 D100 Short bed project
1963 D200 Long bed
1970 D200 Long bed

Many other old rigs, not sweptline related.

A440cuda1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by A440cuda1 »

uglytruckling.com sells clutch masters for $55...just got an email form them. Will post more soon