**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
66militaryd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Dallas
State: OR

1965 dodge d200 utiline military truck

Post by 66militaryd200 »

hi, i have a old military truck and i have some questions dealing with it but first for all of you who might care about its history heres the story. My dad found it out in the brush on one of our relatives place while out hunting and he got it towed home where he took out the original motor (had a forward sump oil pan) because the block was cracked. he put in a v8 with the intetions of using it as a dump vehicle and put in a bunch of junk in the bed and got it runnin once then just kind of quit on it so he put a tarp over it covering the whole thing. Well it sat there for ten years and the tarp slowly started sinking away into the bed and then last summer i decided to start restoring it for my first vehicle. so my grandpa, my dad, and i started by taking off the bed and i sandblasted the frame and my grandpa painted that and we kept sandblasting and painting things until the end of sumnmer when i started to look for getting a title for it because without it i woulnt have been able to drive and own it. but luckily my grandpa knew the guy that drove it up here to the place where my dad found it years later, but the guy never owned anything but had everything put in one of his friends name. well we werent sure what her last name was but inside the glove box there was the insurance papers that had her name and where she lived and stuff like that. So i spent about a day looking for her on the interenet and found out her phone number so my grandpa called her because he knew her from a while back. She never answered so he left a message and then about a month later she called back and said that she had been on summer vacation and she said she would be happy to give the truck to me, she also said that he bought it in SF Bay in CA and then drove it up here but broke down in Roseburg and got it towed over here and got it fixed and drove it around for some time. but anyway i sent her the bill of sale and the paperwork for the title she needed and a couple weeks later we go it and then sent all the info to the dmv office and got that done. Pretty soon winter was here and in the valley in oregon that means a lot of moisture so we put it under a barn and have been working on it over the weekends and days i get off from school. at the moment i have it almost halfway done and is almost at the part of putting everything back together.

Well finally the questions. the first is how many of these things are out there and has anyone heard of these? Would the color be a factory color or is it a specialty color for those trucks? Also i got a 76 slant six 225 that i was gonna put in it but somebody my dad knows in portland that knows a lot about mopars said it should be a 60's to early 70's slant six but the guy i bought it from thought it was a 1970 but a mechanic said it was a 1976. it has a rear sump oil pan and i am wondering if that will fit in the truck because the original motor was a front sump oil pan. or should i get another motor thats a bit older and has a forward sump oil pan or try to convert the one i have to a forward sump one with the old original oil pan and a modified oil pickup. Sorry about rambling on so much. i'll try to get more pictures soon. thank you!
Attachments
1965 dode d200 utiline military truck
1965 dode d200 utiline military truck

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johnson City, Tennessee

Re: 1965 dodge d200 utiline military truck

Post by HEtkind »

I have a 68 D100 Utiline, 318/727 with the same two tone paint job, black with a white roof. Mine has been in use since 2005 when I bought it and started fixing it up.

I use it as a work truck, and last few years, it has support my construction and landscaping activities. It has wooden sideboards with fore and aft crossmembers so I can haul long things, like culvert and scaffold boards easily, and the increased volume made it really handy for moving a few years ago.

Have fun with the truck...but without looking at this one and my 62 D100 Town Wagon, can't remember if you need the forward or rearward oil pan sump.

Howard

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

Welcome to this site! You are going to get more of this plus anything you need to know about every detail of your truck. The folks here really know their stuff and love to share.
Great story and truck. That is what it is all about.
Jim

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

"Well finally the questions. the first is how many of these things are out there and has anyone heard of these? Would the color be a factory color or is it a specialty color for those trucks? Also i got a 76 slant six 225 that i was gonna put in it but somebody my dad knows in portland that knows a lot about mopars said it should be a 60's to early 70's slant six but the guy i bought it from thought it was a 1970 but a mechanic said it was a 1976. it has a rear sump oil pan and i am wondering if that will fit in the truck because the original motor was a front sump oil pan. or should i get another motor thats a bit older and has a forward sump oil pan or try to convert the one i have to a forward sump one with the old original oil pan and a modified oil pickup."

Welcome to the site. :welcome :usa Neat story behind your truck! :Thumbsup
Your D200, as Sweptlines go, is a pretty common model. Lots of these trucks
were purchased not only by regular citizens like you & I, but also by federal,
state & local governments. Does it still have a nomenclature tag riveted to
the glove box door? I see it is sporting what appear to be the original wheels.
If they're a 16" split ring wheel, you'll have to have the proper tire shop work
on them when its time to get new tires & tubes. As far as the color, Army Olive
Drab was standard for trucks purchased by the Army, just as blue was for the
Air Force, gray for the Navy & so on.

If you're interested in putting a Slant 6 in the truck, you'll have to make sure
you have the matching hydraulic clutch flywheel for it. At some point in time
during the '70s, the crankshaft flange on the Slant 6 changed. The crank bolt
pattern remained the same. You might be faced with having to bore out your
hydraulic clutch flywheel flange hole... just so you know. You'd be best off placing
an ad in the Parts Wanted section for a Slant 6 front sump oil pan and matching
pick up tube. There is a site that's dedicated to Slant 6 engines at http://www.slantsix.org
that can give you any information you require. You'll have to post up pics of
the bell housing that's in it currently for us to look at. We'll make sure its the
correct one to use if you go the Slant 6 route. I'm sure others will jump in and
add their comments as well. Keep the pics coming and we'll all pitch in to help.
John :Thumbsup

66militaryd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66militaryd200 »

bellhousing
Attachments
102_0790.JPG
102_0790.JPG (142.19 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
102_0788.JPG
102_0788.JPG (222.38 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
102_0786.JPG
102_0786.JPG (180.9 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
102_0789.JPG

66militaryd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66militaryd200 »

and yes there is a nomenclature on the glove box

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

That appears to be the correct hydraulic clutch style
bell housing that fits either the Slant 6 or the A & LA
318 engines. :Thumbsup
John

66militaryd200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 66militaryd200 »

ok thats a good thing. also would it be better to take all the parts off the body and have them painted before i get the cab and bed painted or get them all painted at the same time?

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by robertob »

66militaryd200 wrote:ok thats a good thing. also would it be better to take all the parts off the body and have them painted before i get the cab and bed painted or get them all painted at the same time?

Depends on how much money/time you have.

Get a quote for the paint work and make sure you have the money in the bank before taking the truck apart. Body shops can be really slow and really expensive.

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Falls City

The 1965 Military used Dodge Truck only came in
the Military Green or Gray - depending on which
branch of the service.

Most of their "spec's" were for The 225 Cubed
Slant Six until the mid 70's.

The Alternator Pulley was the three inch diameter
singe grove unit.

These were also used in The Factory's Performance Engines,
The Tow Package Vehicles, Dodge Truck's with The
Camper Special Package, A/C Engines's and some other
like reason's.

This is using less engery from the engine than smaller
diameterd pulley's require.

Any Dodge Truck Slant Six also used a dbl row Timing
Chain ( for durability ) ( NAPA carry's them ).

Rodger & Gabby
FltSgt@msn.com
COS

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

@Rodger - Not entirely so... You are forgetting USAF Blue and USN white. I've seen both that early, as well as what looks like Caterpiller Yellow, which could be any of the services. Don't forget US Forest Service Green, as well.

HEtkind
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Johnson City, Tennessee

Post by HEtkind »

I have a TW that was originally tan, and I suspect a Department of Energy vehcile from Oak Ridge.

Howard

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

I have a BLM W300 that is a rusty red color. It is a 71 however. I bought it myself at GSA auction.
My 62 W300 is white, originally USAEC, then DOE. I bought it also at GSA auction.
Of course, those are not military branches.