emissions :(

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
383mrollg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

emissions :(

Post by 383mrollg »

i failed emissions 2 days in a row.. i only fail in the idle test because of the carbonmonoxide the first day i was .5 over the second day was 2 points over the difference was the second day i leaned out my carb and ran it longer...but its wierd i changed my thermostat last week and the engine runs COOL when im cruising but if i let it idle for like 5 min it will pretty much over heat why is it doing this..anyone know? and how can i fix ...my coolant mix is a little low and its not exactly 50/50
1970 D100, Built 383,727,3.91 SureGrip.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

what temp t-stat are you useing?? reason i ask, if you go too cold, then it never closes. this makes the water run constantly with very little restriction. not allowing the water to remain in the rad long enough to get cooled back off. so the water just keeps getting hotter and hotter since there not enough air flow at idle to keep up.

and why do you have to emissions test a 70?? thats below the limit. but if you want to pass. give it some fresh plugs, lean the carb out as much as it will take, run good gas, make sure the air filter is clean and its fully warmed up. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

emissions

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Trey all vehicles have to be emissioned tested, I even asked the question of how can you test a vehicle that never had emissions? Their testing to see, carbon monoxide levels, and a couple of other things, but all vehicles have to meet the specifications of that year. :thinking

mesman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Largo, Fl
State: FL

Post by mesman »

Where I'm at, on my '67, they kick the tires, honk the horn and check the lights! Make you show them the insurance verification and ask for $15.
I always wanted to be a BEACH BUM!

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

Post by duracell »

i would either get new plugs or regapp the ones you got and replace your cap and rotor new wires couldn't hurt i went trough the same thing with mine i got 450 in the hydocarbons at an idle witch was exactly what i needed to pass

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

emissions

I thought about the emissions, and on my 83 I had to have the jets in the carb reduced, then they set everything at the shop, of which was just setting the mixture screw and I watched, I run 160 thermostat in both the 318 and the 440 and neither truck even thinks about overheating, you've got another problem somewhere :thinking and the 83 318 after being rejetted passed the emission test with the levels at 1/2 of the allowed, the state couldn't believe the dramatic improvement. :dance

383mrollg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 383mrollg »

i feel stupid..., when i said my coolant was low i didnt know it was a gallon low...lol so i refilled it and now its running back to where it was so i should pass now easily my carb is leaned out pretty far..i already have new plugs and wires and cap and rotor and points im going tomorrow to do emissions ill post to see how i do
1970 D100, Built 383,727,3.91 SureGrip.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

you know, this topic right here is what makes me real glad im a new mexico resident. we have no emmisions tests at all, we have no inspection sticker or test to pass either. plus you can buy tags 2 years at a time should you decide to. costs me all of $65 a year to keep the swept on the road, extra $35 if i want custom plates. i can run straight pipes, no lights, and bald tires if i wanted to, simply cause no one checks these things around here. :Thumbsup :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

emission

Hey Trey
its not that bad, once the 81 and older pass then you get 5 year tags and it cost $33.00 a year for tags and as long as you keep your tags current you never have to be emission tested again! :Thumbsup no safety inspection, :dance

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

been meaning to ask how the pspt, ptsp, ppstx, whatever you call the experimental truck your working on is going??
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

project

you mean the Prototype Swetpline Performance Truck ?the project can't start until the current truck is a daily driver, the concept is going to be all around do anything truck, with at least 400 hp and at least 15 mpg, the suspension will be modern, although having the exact measurements of original. The frame will not be steel, either aluminum or titanium, it will have some body modifications but not much, the suspension may possibly be ALL Wheel drive, but will be determined at later date, suspesion will be able to handle at least 1G in turns and yet stiff enough to pull a trailer as a usual truck. The drive line: engine to be determined later after more research but, will be MPI either Supercharged or Turbo, with overdrive automatic transmission, or 5 speed, the outer apperance will look,(other than the body mods) will look stock and regular, looks will be decieving. More to come after more research and money :Thumbsup