Baffling slant 6 problem

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Baffling slant 6 problem

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

A friend of mine called me and asked me to look at his D100 with a slant 6. Seems he just got this truck and it suddenly isn't working right. It was drove to his house, but he hasn't been able to drive it since.

It only starts with starting fluid, but then seems to run great. It dies hard when put into gear, and has a serious flat spot off idle. So I check the timing. The thing must have been advanced a tooth due to how far advanced it was! I tried to adjust it, but the closest I got was about 10 degrees. So I moved the dizzy one tooth and it wouldn't run at all! :banghead It even tried firing up through the carb a time or two on the restarts or on accelleration. :thinking

So I switched the brain box to the electronic ignition to see if it would help. Maybe a little, but not much. Cleaned off the contacts in the cap (a bit corroded) but that didn't make a noticable difference either. Plugs look ok, though a little black, like it's been running rich. Tried adjusting the carb, but I couldn't make anything better.

So I am thinking that I need to get this thing back to where the settings should be, then diagnose from there. So, does anyone remember what the air gap setting is for the ignition pick-up? What about the carb? I can't recall how many turns out the air/fuel mixture screw should be. The carb appears to be a recent part, and it has great fuel pressure. It's become painfully obvious to me that it's been entirely too long since I played with a 6, that's for sure! All my trucks have 440s.

I know this truck was roadworthy just days ago, as I saw it being driven many times in the last two weeks by the previous owner. So it can't be anything serious, or at least I'd like to hope so. Thanks in advance for your help. :usa
Jeff Easterbrook
66 D100 440/727 on 72 IFS chassis
67 W200 440/4-sp. Resting
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

http://www.jeasterbrook.usana.com

Frame swap Q & A guy :Thumbsup

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Jeff, theres two adjustments on the /6 dist, the one in the block & one on the bottom of the dist, burping up through the carb sounds like 180 out , I dont have any setting here right now , but just play it by ear & see where it go's, the /6 is a lot toucher then the 440 to adj the dist, good luck
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

scoutski
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by scoutski »

I just got done working on my /6"s manifold leak yesterday. Your problem sounds like what mine did when I forgot to put the vacuum line on for the power brake booster. It would start if pumped repeatedly then it would just die. As soon as I put the vac line back on the manifold it started and ran fine.
If this is not the case then I would look at the fuel first. May have water in it.
Disconnect the fuel line going to the fuel pump and drain some fuel into a glass container. let it settle then look for water in the bottom. Remove the fuel filter if it is between the carb and fuel pump then try in on a gravity supply to the carb. If this doesn't work then try just squirting gas into the carb once it is running. Be advised with the backfiring you mentioned above this could be hazzardous to your health!!!!! Plus you can burn the whole place down!!! On second thought do not try this!!!
You said that you moved the distributer on tooth and it got worse! Have you brought #1 cyl. up on TDC and looked at where the roror is pointing? Checked the firing order of the plug wires?
Is the Exhaust restricted? Did someone stuff a potatoe up his tail pipe? Is the heat riser stuck in the closed position?
Many more things to check but this is a start.
Good luck!
Bill
Scoutski
68 W200 PW (sold to Big-J)with a 76 200 por nada
77 Scout II Original
74 Scout II SSII clone
69 800 Gold Key
65 80-800 parts
68 1300 PU with venerable 266
76 Scout II XLC parts truck
55 R110 PU parts???

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

as suddenly as this happened, my money is on timing chain/gears :Thumbsup bring up #1, and check everything to see that the timing chain/gears havent jumped a tooth. im betting they have. about the only thing that will make it go from road worthy one minute to shooting flames out the carb the next :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

wideblock66 wrote:as suddenly as this happened, my money is on timing chain/gears :Thumbsup bring up #1, and check everything to see that the timing chain/gears havent jumped a tooth. im betting they have. about the only thing that will make it go from road worthy one minute to shooting flames out the carb the next :Thumbsup
I concur Doctor. This often happens when the motor is shut off and chugs to a stop; a loop of slack chain is thrown over and grabs the next set of teeth. BAM, you've jumped time.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Nothing like going "back in time" :joker
John
[My $$ would also be on the chain]

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

Good bet on the chain...
I would check to see if outer ring on the dampner has slipped frist vs. TDC and vacume leaks......
Are valves making a lot of noise? and have you checked lash?
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

69sweptline
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Naples, FL

Post by 69sweptline »

/sicks. put my money on the chain. Especially if it has the plastic cam gear!

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

I am begining to suspect a timing chain problem, but the confusing part is it runs so sweet. Smooth and quiet, so I don't suspect an impropper firing order or anything like that. Maybe I'll pull all the plugs and see how much slop is in the timing chain. Worked on my 440 in the 66!

I did bring the #1 up to TDC and it didn't quite look like it was hitting it when it should. That's when I tried moving it, as the adjustment slot didn't allow enough travel to get there. One tooth in either direction failed to get the results I was expecting. In fact, one setting it wouldn't fire at all.

I'll have to look at the adjustment on the bottom of the dizzy, I forgot about that one. I also know that the "dwell" is adjustable with an allen tool inserted into the vacuum canister on the dizzy. I just need the gap to get it right.

I'll also have to look at the balancer, as I suppose it could have slipped. Wouldn't be the first time for that one.

Thanks for all the ideas! It helped clear some cobwebs from the old diagnosis chamber! :lol: I'll take them all over there on thursday and see what else I can figger out. I'll let ya know what I find! :usa
Jeff Easterbrook
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

powerwagontony

Post by powerwagontony »

Maybe its just because I'm still a little wet behind the ears on these trucks that are almost twice as old as me but what is a "dizzy"? :withstupid

Post by Guest »

Distributor. Tuner kids use the term as well.

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

Jeff,
are you going to make it " local track" July 17th for the Mopar Nat's? bunch of us from Vancouver are planing
on showing up.......
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

Anonymous wrote:Distributor. Tuner kids use the term as well.
Fo shizzle!

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

Jeffc wrote:Jeff,
are you going to make it " local track" July 17th for the Mopar Nat's? bunch of us from Vancouver are planing
on showing up.......
I would love to come out and meet ya'all, but it would likely be in the Scout. Both of my trucks are far from drivers right now. Are ya gonna park or pit together?
Jeff Easterbrook
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D