first time d-100, need help

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
dumpsterdan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

first time d-100, need help

Post by dumpsterdan »

i own a 1963 d-100 with 3 on the tree and a poly 318. im having starting problems.i hit a bump and the battery hit the starter relay, so i repalced it. i also repalced the ballist resistor and the starter. she still wont start with the key but i did get her started with a screw driver and she drove home really smooth. i cleaned all the connections and she still wont start w/the key and now wont start with a screw driver either.she fires and turns over for a second but then turns right off. she worked beautifully before all this happened.is there anything im overlooking here.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

im assuming you checked all the related wires for burn/shorted marks or broken/loose fittings. so, id check the ignition switch. sounds like your not getting juice thru the switch when you turn the key. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

dumpsterdan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

key

Post by dumpsterdan »

the original owner replaced the ignition and wired a pushbutton. i removed the wires from the pushbutton and and touched them together, got no spark. the wires appear good. how would i check them to make sure they are good, like an ohmmeter or something

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

you can ohm them out to make sure they have connection all the way thru. is the push button starter switch wired to an ignition hot wire, or direct?? if its wired to spin the motor whether the key is on or not, then you got a connection problem at one of the wires off the relay. make sure everything is tight, and the back of the relay is clean and grounded well to the fender well. if the starter button only works with the key in the run position, then i still say your ignition switch is fried. possibly from a surge when the battery tryed to escape. can you hear the relay click when the key is turned? you say it cant be jumpered with a screw driver now either, just re-read that. id say its the connection from the relay to the starter solenoid, or the solenoid its self. i know its new, but these days that dont mean much. i went thru 4 starters on my poly before i got one that worked right, all "new" and from napa. have someone sit in the truck and turn the key on, then hit that starter button while you take a voltage reading at the solenoid. if its getting the voltage down to the starter, but nothing is happening, take the starter back and cram it down thier throat.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

dumpsterdan
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

thanks

Post by dumpsterdan »

thank you for all the help. i'll go home and check all that out, be back with you guys tomorrow, thanks.