horn problems

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

horn problems

Post by duracell »

i just noticed yester day that my horn stopped working on my 70 d100, and while chasing it down the reson i got curious about a couple things. 1 does every one have a relay connected in line to their horns. and another thing where the horns for this truck made by autolite and also did it come with 2 horns.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

My 68 and my 70 parts trucks do not have horn relays. That is the reason for the 2 wires going to your horn. One is the ground (When pushing the horn button) and the other is always hot. I "believe" the horns were made by Spartan. 2 horns were an option, but I am not sure what years they were options. If you have only one horn it will be the LOW tone. The optional one will be a HIGH tone. Check to make sure that the contact is working on your steering wheel by using a test light at your horn. Also, check to see if the one wire is always HOT. Your IGN key may have to be "on" to test.

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by duracell »

mine was set up with 1 wire going to the horns and the ground is the horn body being attached to the wall of the engine compartment i do have 2 wires by there and 1 is hot with the ignition on and the other i haven't figured out yet there both a dark blue and wrapped together the one thats hot with the ignition on wasn't attached to anything im woundering if the relay went to the old alarm

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

I will email you a picture of the horn and you can see what it looks like. I will get a closeup of the wire plug too.

Jim
Jim

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by duracell »

thanks jim i appreciate that :salut

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

My 69 Adventurer has two Sparton horns mounted (they will be mounted when I get it back together) on the right side of the radiator support with a relay directly below them. The second horn might have been optional, I'm not sure about that.
1969 Adventurer W100

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Duracell, check your email for pictures of a "one horn" setup. The wires that go to the horn are Light Green and Dark Green.

Russ, Thats interesting, I wonder if Dodge used a horn relay when using TWO horns. :thinking Do your horns have two "connectors" on each horn, or just one?

Jim
Jim

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Jims68 wrote:Duracell, check your email for pictures of a "one horn" setup. The wires that go to the horn are Light Green and Dark Green.

Russ, Thats interesting, I wonder if Dodge used a horn relay when using TWO horns. :thinking Do your horns have two "connectors" on each horn, or just one?

Jim
One of my horns has two wires and the other has only one. The colors are lt/dk green as you mentioned to the first horn, with a black wire to the second one. It appears that the first horn grounds through the dark green wire while the second horn grounds through its mount.
1969 Adventurer W100