hot hot hot!

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
383mrollg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

hot hot hot!

Post by 383mrollg »

my engine is just recently getting extremely hot extremely fast but! its not overheating....also smoke is coming out of the valve cover where the pcv goes into when i shut the truck off...i just changed the thermostat and gave it a radiator flush about 4 months ago but i cant figure it out.. its a 383 on a 70 d100 so i know they get real hot but this is hotter than normal...anyone know why its smoking and how to fix the heat problem?
1970 D100, Built 383,727,3.91 SureGrip.

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MOPAT »

:thinking pcv valve plugged? check to see if the valve is clogged, or the line to the carb from the is blocked. Had a similar problem in my 79 van with 360 once. The 383 in my 68 W200 runs about 200f with the 'stock' thermostat. Radiator hoses collapsing? Christine Sybdrome?

davie

hot hot hot!

Post by davie »

Is your oil 'milky' or any steam out of the tailpipe? May have a blown head gasket that prevents the H2O from circulating. This will cause the engine to get hot real quick. When engine is hot (shut it off) and feel around the radiator. It should be about the same temp all around. If it is not hot = no H20 circulation. If some parts hot and some cool = plugged radiator.

BigT

Post by BigT »

Check the heat riser valve on the right exe man if it is stuck closed it will heat up fast and heat up the oil in the head under the valve cover and make it smoke .good Luck BigT

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

is your thermostat in upside down?
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Bad thermostat. I have a car that needs a new one every other month, regardless of brand, heat rating, price range. New parts aren't worth the hassle of swapping them out sometimes...
-WD
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

383mrollg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 383mrollg »

ok to answer all of your questions no the valve is not clogged..i just replaced it all the lines are good.. and its in tight the hoses arent collapsing and whats Christine Sybdrome?...also no my oil isnt milky and no there is no smoke coming out the tail pipes i just rebuilt my heads all the way new valves valve guides springs...(everything) also total new head set gasket so i dont think a head gasket is blown..the radiator is hot all around....the heat riser valve is cut out completely....it was stuck closed a long while back until i hammered the thing out so now its even flow in both exhaust manifolds and no the thermostat isnt in upside down.... ill try replacing the thermo anyways...im getting a lot of leaks also with this hot engine... usually from the valve covers( stupid stamped steel ) and it drips down the back from on top of the tranny its wierd like its coming from the back of the intake manifold like where the valley pan is but i replaced all those gaskets and such too... i dont know,.. my truck is a mess.lol thanks for all the suggestions and inputs..chris

Gilesie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Melbourne
State: Foreign
Location: Melbourne Australia, Just the other side of the pond

Post by Gilesie »

I once installed thermo fans, had the radiator rebuilt changed the thermostat fitted all new hoses, flushed the block just to find that my temp gauge was faulty.
Regards Rod
fosh69 wrote:there is no greater triumph than to face the greatest of tragedies with nothing but a pocketful of love and come out the victor.

383mrollg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 383mrollg »

lol that sucks but i know for sure my temp gauge aint off cause that engine will burn a hole in anything man it gets hot

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

Post by duracell »

could you have put a gasket on wrong i dont know much about these engines but if im thinking right :thinking dont some fords have gaskets that will fit either way but if its on the wrong side it will cover holes for the water to go through on the heads

Post by Guest »

Duracell- how dare you bring up the evil FE series big block on a Dodge board??? :lol: You're right though, the gaskets are identical, but one has to be installed "upside down" for the holes to line up. Not sure if 383 is that way or not...
-WD

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

CHRISTINE SYNDROME

Post by MOPAT »

:banghead From the Stephen King novel with the Plymouth from hell that had a mind of its own. No known reason why things happen, sometimes self-healing!! :censored
Pat