Speaking of v.......

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
Gordo70W100

Speaking of v.......

Post by Gordo70W100 »

Sorry guys I know this question has nothing to do with a sweptline ( I do own one though). I just purchased a 73 Dart with a vinyle top that is in perfect condition, but has been sitting in the Arizona sun for at least 8 years since it was drove last. I was wondering if there is anything that I can apply to the top to softin it back up or am I doomed to watch the top fall to pieces. Which I know will be very soon seeing as to how it has been put back into service.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

You do NOT want to use ArmorAll or similar products, they accelerate the decay of rubber and vinyl and are about the very worst products you can put on tops, interiors, and tires.

Give it a good scrubbing with good old soap and water. Use a good fine scrub brush and lather the top up real good to clean it thouroghly. Rinse and repeat. If the top is coming apart anywhere, you're probably stuck having to replace the top. It's too old and brittle to take a repair without having it look like crap. Once clean, do NOT apply and type of dressing. I replaced the original top on my '66 Coronet in 1985. Since then, it has NEVER seen vinyl dressings or ANY kind of silicone cleaners or dressings, only warm, soapy water and a cold rinse four times per year (by hand) on the top. It looks like I just had the top put on last week, it looks that good.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

One note to add, if you do clean it with a brush, try to go carefully over the "threads" where there are seams. Some vinyl tops have threads, but not all, so you may not even see any. :2cents

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

i agree with the soap and water clean up, and avoid any petroleum based protectants like armorall. the tend to over soften the vinyl leaving it weak, and decay the seams. on my chrgers original roof, it was becoming seperated from the roof of the car, thus why i took it for a new one. the upholstery guy told me that "protectants" tend to soak in, and eat at the adhesive that holds it down. then recommended a good cleaning with soap and water regularly, warm water if possible, with a light scrubbing to get the dirt from the grooves. he also says avoid highpressure washes, they tend to shoot all the way thru the vinyl and will lift the top from the roof over time. and finally, he suggested good old saddle soap as a softener, said to just follow the directions on the can :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

It looks like we are unanimous in advising you not to put any of the popular dressings on your top. In addition to the other problems it will cause it will also run down at the next rain and streak your windows. I just use soap and water and a rag and wash the top like the rest of the car. I do use Turtle Wax "Zip Wax" car wash and I recommend it.
1969 Adventurer W100

Post by Guest »

Thanks for all the advice! I am greatful that I asked before I applied, you see I have already bought a bottle of cleaner and conditioner. That's going back today. But I think I was a little to late when I asked for advice.....this morning when I was getting ready to give the top a good scrubbing I saw that the edge over the driver door is now curling at least 10" of it is.It hasn't curled all the way back on itself but is definitely over halfway there in the middle. Also on the pillar though it is somewhat smaller 4" long. I can't believe my luck :banghead , yesterday I swear it was perfect, now today curling at the edges. Is it possible to "glue" the peeling edges back down. After I soften it up with some saddle soap. If I have to replace it then I will...what a way to start my day :pale ,was kinda pumped up armed with my new knowledge figured that I had the vinyle top beat and nooooooo. Was I ever wrong! Sorry had to vent and you all are such a captive audience.I just want to say thanks again for all the advice! :Thumbsup

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

If you figure you have nothing to lose.... you can
try a 3M Spray Adhesive.... it might buy you some
more time for that vinyl roof.
John

Gordo70W100

Post by Gordo70W100 »

That is kinda the conclusion that I came up with also, John. I could just smear glue all over it and have it look....well you know how it would look. I guess I was just trying to put off the inevitable. No matter what I do it is not going to look right and that is what I am after, having it look right. Can't stand to look at things that are fix half-a**ed. I really don't care for the bodystyle of the car and if it was a run of the mill beater. I would just tear off the top without a second thought and that would be the end of it. But this car only looks 2 years old not 22. Except for where the paint is oxidized on the hood thanks to the AZ sun. I won't do more damage than good. I know a lot of people do appreciate the square A-body and would consider this car a "find". So thanks everyone I am just going to get an estimate this afternoon and do it right. Atleast now I know how to care for the new vinyl when I get it!

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

At our trim shop we use a cleaner/conditioner made by Malco that works well in one step.
M.O.P.A.R. =
My Own Private Adrenaline Rush !