**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Double overloads maybe? Towing a trailer

Post by WD »

Hooked up to the horse trailer today. Back of my truck squats a bit, without horse, hay bales, water bucket, etc. Trailer is a small late 1960s "2" horse (if they are small and really like each other).

Added 2000# half leaf overloads last summer, they should have stopped the squat (make great traction bars, no more wheel hop). Truck had camper special springs originally but somebody put in the lighter packs... :censored

Should I add a set of over the shock helper coils, swap for full helper leafs, grab a set of Lifestyle era 3/4 ton springs and use the half leaf helpers I already have? Just add a block to level the truck? I do have a set of generic lift shackles...

I have neither the time or the money to replace my 1/2 ton with a 3/4 or 1 ton. Or to order a brand new set of camper special spring packs.

What would you guys who tow with these trucks recommend? I'm used to Peterbilts, receiver hitch tag-a-longs are definitely not something I'm used to...

elacruze
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Jensen Beach
State: FL

Re: Double overloads maybe? Towing a trailer

Post by elacruze »

Timbren rubber springs are relatively inexpensive, easy to install, and don't affect ride quality when running light.

http://www.truckspring.com/suspension-p ... n-kit.aspx

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

I have a set of Firestone airbags on my '95 F350 4x4, and they are great! Put air in them when you haul a load, and run maybe five pounds in them when running unloaded. Can't beat them.
Last edited by 66patrick on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EarlKann
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by EarlKann »

Timbrens are nice, partly because they do Not take air. Air bags are another option. They are good because they are adjustable as Patrick said, but I've never seen a model specific kit for a sweptline so you'd have to adapt something to work or hope to find a universal kit.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

WD wrote: grab a set of Lifestyle era 3/4 ton springs and use the half leaf helpers I already have?
The springs from a Lifestyle era truck won't work. Centering pins are 2 inches further back on the springs.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Saves me a trip to the truck breakers, thanks.

I had to hit the area's best truck & trailer parts place this morning for some nearly obsolete wheel cylinders (horse trailer stuff). They sell the rubber helpers but recommending the coils over the shocks. Not sure I really like that idea but...

It only has to make it to the farm, after that, it will mostly be parked waiting its turn for resto-modding. As much as I like my big green and white Swepty my 49 takes precedence. Had it a lot longer, has been mine since I was a little kid, bought new by my grandparents.