Vinyl tops

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
hemidart1
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Vinyl tops

Post by hemidart1 »

I just got a factory Dodge press photo and it has a '67 with what it says is an optional vinyl top. Has anyone ever seen one?

If so can you post a pic?

Al.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

The vinyl tops were actually NOT vinyl at all. They were "simulation" vinyl. The effect looks like vinyl. It is a semi gloss color painted top with a bumpy effect to it. My 68 does have the "vinyl" top on it. This was standard on the Adventurer model. My roof had a small dent in it, and after I repaired it, I needed to reproduce the vinyl effect, so I used a spray aerosol can of stone chip gaurd that you would normally use on the bottom of your rockers. It was a paintable type.

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Sorry for the Giant photos... I didn't know how big they would be... :pale

Jim
Jim

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Jim, the "vinyl" top wasn't standard on Adventurers, it was optional and came in white or black. I'm still debating if I want to try the chip guard stuff on mine or not.
1969 Adventurer W100

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

DING DING! :dance You are right Russ! And here I thought I knew something. When you mentioned this, I checked my 68 Adventurer brochure and sure enough, it says... Vinyl Roof (Optional D-100 only) Oh well. chalk another up for you! Oh, and I LOVE my vinyl top. Although, to be honest, I am not sure if I would add it to my project if it wasn't original, but I sure am glad mine already had it to begin with.

Jim
Jim

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

hey jim, whats your opinion on useing spray on bed liner as the vinyl top?? considering adding the textured top to my crew cab. i was thinking the liner would add some extra sound insulation as well as an extra layer of heat barrier from the NM sun.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

Post by duracell »

just to be curious has any one actually seen a real vinyl top on one of these trucks or had one put on i'm just woundering what it would look like

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

I have never seen a Sweptline with a "real" vinyl top, but I can't see any reason why it could not be done.

Trey, I would think that the bedliner spray would work, but I would make sure it is paintable, which I assume it is. The one spray on bedliner I did see, the "bumps" were bigger than what my vinyl to is. So, you would want to make sure you like the texture of the bed liner and "picture" it in your mind with it sprayed on your roof. Spray the roof with a semi gloss color. That is what a real vinyl top looks like.

Jim
Jim

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

jim, the line x guy i talked to said texture can be adjusted as well as thickness to suite my purpose. i wouldnt want it painted, just the semi gloss black it comes out of the gun. as far as a real vinyl top, your looking at some pretty good cash. they would have to fabricate the side peices that hold the edges down. since our trucks never had them. but a twin seam real top would look sweet. i paid a bit over 5 bils for the twin seam i put on my charger.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

Post by duracell »

granted it might be a little costly but just think of a light colored truck with a dark colored vinly would just pop it would be very different and stand out

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

A local shop priced a real vinyl top at $800. My truck is tan, or beige, and I have it apart for painting. I will keep the same color but can't make up my mind what I want to do with the top. It's an Adventurer and I will be adding the upper chrome in addition to the original lower chrome. I've had the vent window frames and division bars chromed. It's a 4X4 and I'm concerned that a different colored top might make it a little "busy". What do y'all think?
1969 Adventurer W100

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

i say go for it. the two tone paint jobs look excellent with the side trim, and the chrome drip rail will really set of a black vinyl top. twin seam is the way to go. i also think your truck would look sweet rus with all the chrome you have in a cortez silver metallic, with the black roof :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

Russ
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Russ »

Trey, that silver would look good but Big Dad already has that one. I think I'll stay with the tan since I'm not removing the cab from the frame for the paint job and it would be difficult to completely cover all traces of the tan, especially since the engine is still in. In the interest of getting it done as quickly as possible, I've decided (for the time being) that I'll just paint it back to original. I can always change the top later.
1969 Adventurer W100

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

the light tan with a black top wouldnt look bad either, or have the top laid to match the interior, that would be cool too. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100