door hinges

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
davie

door hinges

Post by davie »

Does anyone know who makes a hinge pin replacement to fix those sloppy hinges on a '66? Another question is, are the left and right sides interchangeable or are they specific for each side? I thought that I could try and find a passenger door side to replace my worn drivers door side.
Thanks!

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

The hinges are the same for left and right, HOWEVER... if you use the right hinge on the left side, the "PIN" will now be upside down. The head will be on the bottom and if it is a bit loose, it could work its way out. To prevent that, you could just give the tip of the pin a "tack" weld to hold it in place. DON'T weld it completely, just a little tack.

You can also buy new pins at this site here. Have a look:

http://vintagepowerwagons.com/products/ ... -parts.htm

Hope this helps.

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

I bought new ones at the dealer about 5 years ago.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

davie

door hinge

Post by davie »

Russ, when you said you purchased new ones from the dealer were they the pin or the entire hinge?
Jim, Does the pin kit come with a bushing for the hinge part or is it usualy just the pin that wears? Great tip to tack the end of the pin if installed upside-down! (or can the pin be removed and inserted the other way?).

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

I have never bought new pins. My hinges were OK when I restored my 68. I also did not remove my pins. The only thing I would suggest if you try to remove the pin to flip it over... be prepared to buy new pins if you try that. Sometimes the pins are rusted to one part of the hinge and they would almost be impossible to remove without ruining it. This is why I mentioned "tacking" the pin in. If you do that, just Tack the pin. In other words, just put a small dot of weld on the pin. Do not weld it to the hinge itself. This way, if you ever need to remove the pin to replace it, you just cut the pin out, and the hinge isn't ruined by a nasty weld job. Here is another thought, I have seen in stores like PEP BOYS they have a "HELP" section with lots of small parts to repair things. I have seen these pins and bushings in that section. However, I do not know which pin kit you would need to buy. If you go that way, just measure the length and diameter and see what the store has. I wouldn't go by "FITS DODGE" or FITS CHEVY" as the years may not be the same as our Dodges.

Jim
Jim

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

the 67 i just bought has good hinges if you want to cheat and do it the easy way. :Thumbsup send me an email if your interested in purchasing them.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Re: door hinge

Post by RussRoth »

davie wrote:Russ, when you said you purchased new ones from the dealer were they the pin or the entire hinge?
Jim, Does the pin kit come with a bushing for the hinge part or is it usualy just the pin that wears? Great tip to tack the end of the pin if installed upside-down! (or can the pin be removed and inserted the other way?).
That was just the pins with no bushings. Seems like they were only about 6 bucks.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

I would most definatley try MOPAR first. Then aftermarket.

Jim
Jim