wheel on 71 short wide

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
MODOG

wheel on 71 short wide

Post by MODOG »

I went to chuck truxs today and there heads are so far up there :censored
I need some help.I would love to put 18" rims on front and 20's on the rear.
I know the stearing arm is a problem.Because I have 6" rims and 235/75/r15
and if I do a big lefty the tire rubs. :2cents Also this is my 1st time.

Re: wheel on 71 short wide

Post by Guest »

MODOG wrote:I went to chuck truxs today and there heads are so far up there :censored
I need some help.I would love to put 18" rims on front and 20's on the rear.
I know the stearing arm is a problem.Because I have 6" rims and 235/75/r15
and if I do a big lefty the tire rubs. :2cents Also this is my 1st time.
Wheel size has as much to do width and offset as anything .. Another thing, big wheels, cause for extra stress on brakes, etc .. I would not suggest doing 20's with out some bigger brakes, etc ..

mopar-maniac

Post by mopar-maniac »

Do you have a 200? If so, here's something to drool over. http://www.chromewheel.com/dominator.htm Scroll down to see examples of Dodge trucks with big rig wheels. Hopefully, my crew cab will be the first picture of a swept with these wheels. :Thumbsup :dance

Also, :welcome ! What part of Missouri are you from? I live in Springfield, but have family in Sedalia. Also, what kind of truck do you have?

MODOG

Post by MODOG »

no I have D100 1/2 ton short wide box.But those are kool wheels. :Thumbsup

MODOG

bigger brakes

Post by MODOG »

I really did'nt think about the brakes.How would the wheel size mess with the brakes if the 20's with low pro would be the same size as my 15" 235's
Please somone let me know if i'm betting a dead horse and should just put
4 or 5" rims on the front and live with that.I will know soon if my pic went
threw hope I did it rite.I would like to know what everyone thinks about my
2nd wife.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

modog, welcome to the sight. ignore the big wheels need bigger breaks theory, i have already disprooved that. anything that will fit on a stock d100 you already have sufficient brakes for, as long as your breaking system is right, faulty or worn out parts dont count. 31x10.5 tires on 15x8 inch wheels fit on all four corners of a d100, i ran them for 2 years with absolutly no rubbing on a stock truck. the backspace is the issue. anything more then 3 1/2inches of backspace will rub the steering arm. but, you also need to make sure your truck has the proper alignment, the king pins are in good shape, as well as the tie rods. any of these parts can effect a wheel that would normally not rub. run the 20's, it would be sweet to see. keep your front tires under a 31inch totall diameter, and narrower then 10.5 inches wide and youll do ok with the right backspacing on the wheels. as far as out back goes, you can get away with a 33inch diameter and up to 11 1/2 inches wide. this is posted from road experience, i too had 235's up front that rubbed, swapped wheels and back spacing, and the 31's fit perfect, but a 32 rubbs the front lip of the fender. comes in handy having a buddy that works for a tire shop, we spent 3 hours and a 12pk of budwieser to see what fit and what didnt after hours one night! :Thumbsup

by the way, this was on a 66 d100 long wide bed, no mods to suspension at all, and running manual drum brakes on all four corners. :salut
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Trey's 66 D100 still has the 31x1050 on all four corners & still do not rub , stick to the 3x1/2 in back space it works :Thumbsup
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

MODOG

Post by MODOG »

Thanks guys it took over an hour at the wheel shop,and 30 sec on this
killer site.I think I will go with 19"x7" try to find 3" back space for the front
and 20"x10" on the rear with around what 4"1/2 back space?Or maybe 20's
on the front and 22's on the back.This is my day to day driver 80 miles a day
round trip.One day soon my dad and I will be putting togeather frame up rod
truck ok it will look like a truck but will only hall me and my fat :moom .If I need to hall any thing I will use the trailer and the wifes Durango with the high $ tow package.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

ill measure the backspace on my 10's while they are off this weekened and let you know. got 2 sets, 1 mis a little closer to the inner fender then i would prefer, but both sets have 33x12.5x16.5 tires and they dont rub. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

Big Dad

BIG wheels

Post by Big Dad »

I'll add my opinion -- When larger diameter wheels 1ST hit the market , it was a result of needing clearance for LARGER brakes .. never was it intended as something that "looked cool"- Then as always we no longer like 17"s It gets carried away to the point that cars look like cartoons, never mind how they drive .. I even heard one RAP star admit on MTV cribs that he had to take the 24"s off cuz da Escalade stopped and drove terrible- A 1970 Dodge D100 with manual brakes has no where near the quality parts needed to utilize those types of wheels, no ABS, no disc brakes dinky little drum brakes - Parts like tie rods, spindles, wheel bearings, etc will never hold up to the stress of a wheel that weighs at least twice as much as what it came with -- You are just going to cause problems -- will they FIT maybe , Can you drive truck, maybe .. is it safe .. no f'in way -here is link if you want to see a truck with 20's on
http://imageevent.com/moparnorm/sweptli ... 27&w=2&z=2
Or look at http://www.dodgesweptline.org
Before you do changes like this, consider some basic rules of science, reciprocating weight, bigger wheels, bigger tires bigger footprint, need better brakes to be able to slow down in a safe manor --Sorry, big difference between 20's and
15's -- set them side by side
It is only my opinion not meant to start a big arguement Me, I'll stick to my pee wee 17's .. and I have DISC brakes

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

not trying to start a big debate, but i have to disagree a bit. theres no way a set of aluminum 20's with the low pro rubber wieghs more then my steel 16.5's with 33" bias tires on them. and my truck stops fine. yeah the wheel is bigger, but its alum, not thick dodge steel. i would be willing to bet the 20's would wiegh less then the 16 or 16.5's i have, thus giving you better performance. :thinking
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

Big Dad

Post by Big Dad »

The question was, can I go from 235/15's to 20's
Like I said, sure you can make anything work/fit-etc.But how well will it work ?
If you take a "stock" D-100 and go from 15 inch whatever --to 20's you will end up with something that will get to 60 mph very poorly, gear ratio will change , rolling mass is increased by at least 20%
its the flyweel affect , like when I was a kid and you roller skated and got on the end of the whip, closer to the center, the slower it moves.. the stopping distance will be horrible just based on that alone -- then you move to unsprung weight on each wheel increasing , -- "for every action there is a opposite and equal reaction" -- The parts that were engineered in these trucks were never made to take any of this HIGH TECH stuff, if it was just a matter of something fitting fine, don't you think you should be able to drive it ... safely ?
I will find out what 20's with tires weigh
and yes, I think they still weigh more that some old skinny 16.5"s but that , I think J-LO looks just fine .. I wouldn't give her a boob job either
A 20" x 10" wheel weighs more than a 16.5" x 7
Yes, I will bet that
A 285X55X20 tire weighs more that a 8.25 16.5" yes, I will bet that too
Again, no one needs to agree with me, you want it build it .. but don't drive behind me, thanks

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Post by cudajimmy »

Modog welcome to the site!

I had a 69 SuperBee I put 18's and 19's on a few years ago. Gives them a modern look. I loved it, but someone else loved it more and his check cleared! I'm gonna put 18's on my 70 Utiline. The hardest part is getting 18" wheels with 3.5 b.s. and with 4.5" bolt patterns. Wheels are limited. Post some pics up when you get it done!
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

Big Dad

Post by Big Dad »

i weighed a stock 20 inch wheel from a 2004 ram 1500 it weighs 54 lbs .. JUST the wheel
I weighed a police car wheel those are 15 x 7 and it weighs 22 lbs

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

he did say he was going from 235's to 20 inchers. my comparison was being made on my 31's with alum eagles i ran without any brake problems. and also my 65 i have now has 16.5x10 steels with 33" biased HD hiway tires and i have no brake problems. if that wheel and tire is a bit under 80 freakin pounds id be real surprised. not trying to get in a big arguement, but an open 20" aluminum after market wheel with the rubber band tires cant wiegh in any more then my 15" alum truck wheels and the load rated 31" tire. it may, never actually wieghed them. but in any case, i havent had any braking problems. truck actually stopped faster with the wider tires. just going off experience, no theory involved, aint smart enough for theory! LOL!! :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100