**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
69D200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Minot, ND
State: ND

More modifications?

Post by 69D200 »

OK, you guys were VERY helpfull when I decided to work over the rear-end of my 69 D200. I now have the 4.11 rear out of an early sweptline in my truck (originally a 4.88). It was a straight over swap after removing the brake plates from both axels and swapping them. The axel housing bolted right in.
Now on to the next project.
I have three late 60s early 70s vintage 383s with the automatic transmissions attached. At least one from a parted out Road Runner. All need to be rebuilt. My truck has the original 318 Poly that is in desparate need of rebuilding and a NP four speed. I am toying with putting the larger power plant into my truck. My question is this, will the 383 bolt straight into my current bell-housing or will I need to locate a big-block four-speed bell for the exchange. If I swap to the larger engine, I will have use of the truck until the new ponys are ready to drop in.
I also have a new style complete small block and automatic transmission. That engine could be redone (it is disassembled). That is also an option to be considered.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Cageman
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Bismarck

Re: More modifications?

Post by Cageman »

If the truck had a poly it isnt original. If it is indeed a 69, does it have a z bar or is it hydro clutch, should be z bar linkage. You will need a big block bell.

69D200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 69D200 »

Cageman wrote:If the truck had a poly it isnt original. If it is indeed a 69, does it have a z bar or is it hydro clutch, should be z bar linkage. You will need a big block bell.
The truck is indeed a 1969. It has the original 210hp 318 V-8 coupled to a New Process model 435 4-speed. It has the Z linkage you mentioned. I thought (maybe incorrectly) that all the sweptlines had the "wide block" 318. Isn't that a Poly? If this is a run of the mill 318, I should be able to drop the small block V-8 I have in my garage into this without changing anything else. Or am I wrong about this? The engine in my truck is red, I was lead to believe that the small block mopar V-8s were blue (like my spare engine).

If I need a differant bell housing for the 383, anyone know where I can lay my hands on one for a reasonable price?

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

If the valve covers are held on with bolts in the top of the cover, it's a poly. It the valve cover bolts are on the lower edges like most engines, it's an LA
M.O.P.A.R. =
My Own Private Adrenaline Rush !

69D200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 69D200 »

cudaboy wrote:If the valve covers are held on with bolts in the top of the cover, it's a poly. It the valve cover bolts are on the lower edges like most engines, it's an LA
OK, now I know that I have an LA 318. Educate me further. Is the wide block a Poly, an LA or both, maybe neither. If I want to utilize the before mentioned options for a swap, what works best with what I currently have. What problems can I expect to encounter? Do I still need a different bellhousing for the 383? What about clutch, clutch linkage, pressure plate, pilot bushing etc. Do the motor mounts stay the same for 318/383? I hate to be such a pest, but I am still trying to decide which path will be best. :thinking

Maybe I should just sell the whole works and get a Ford or Chevy so I can get all the new/remanufactured replacement and restoration parts I need from LMC... NOT!

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

The Poly is considered a wide block. You will need to change your bell housing, and not sure about the linkage. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will pipe in. You will need the bigblock mounts. You may also need a bigger radiator, but chances are that you were going to need a new one either way.
M.O.P.A.R. =
My Own Private Adrenaline Rush !