steering wheel restoration

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
dxdan

steering wheel restoration

Post by dxdan »

Has anybody gone through the trouble of having a sweptline-era steering wheel restored? I'm working on a '62 D-400, and the steering wheel is pretty tired looking. I've not even begun to shop around for who might be able to do the work, but I know enough about it to know I don't think I'll try to tackle it myself. There are just too many contours. I really like it, though.

Thanks much everybody!

Dan

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

You can check HEMMINGS.com for people that speacialize in that. I think that POR15 has a kit for the "Do It Yourself" folks. I just scraped all the loosed plastic off of mine, and repainted it. Looks nice, but I am not sure how much a daily driver would hold up.

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

File any cracks in the plastic down to the metal, using a triangular file. Fill the grooves and low spots with flexible bumper patch, you can get it at NAPA. Sand to 320 grit, hit it with a good rattlecan etching primer. Sand the primer to 400 grit. Spray with high build rattlecan primer. Spray with white or black rattlecan appliance epoxy. 2 or 3 coats should more than do the trick. Good project to kill a couple weekends.
-WD
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

dxdan

steering wheels

Post by dxdan »

Thanks Jim and WD. I'm familiar with the POR kits for steering wheels, but have never done one myself. Maybe it's time I learned. My only concern was that there are a lot of ridges on the Dodge steering wheels of this vintage, and I wasn't sure if a kit would do a good job. I guess I won't know until a try. Thanks again and take care.

Dan (dxdan)

dodgelover

sterring wheel

Post by dodgelover »

Gary's Sterring wheel restoration is very good. They are currently doing my 64 sweptline. Eastwood has a kit to do it yourself if you are interested.