**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
pfury369
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: rochester
State: NY

big truck questions

Post by pfury369 »

why is this 1966 d-500 have it's motor mounted in the front center instead of the sides like the 64 w-500 i had?was this a design or year upgrade ? this truck has a bigger truck 5speed and a bigger bell than a normal 500.it is a new process. i haven't read all the tag yet. was this 2 speed rearend shift circuit running thru the speedo like the manual showns? this truck has much that is new ground for me. but i like it!

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: big truck questions

Post by digdoug »

All that stuff is normal. :Thumbsup
I'm glad that truck went to a good home...its worth its weight in chrome.

caseman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ithaca

Post by caseman »

pfury369 wrote:why is this 1966 d-500 have it's motor mounted in the front center instead of the sides like the 64 w-500 i had?was this a design or year upgrade ? this truck has a bigger truck 5speed and a bigger bell than a normal 500.it is a new process. i haven't read all the tag yet. was this 2 speed rearend shift circuit running thru the speedo like the manual showns? this truck has much that is new ground for me. but i like it!
Well When you Bolt the Bellhouseing Solid You Cant do the same on the Front[Bolting it with Motor mounts each side of the Block with out Braking it When the FRAIM Twists ]there for BIG Truck Use the Center Mount in the Front.400 series and up use this mounting set up.They some how have enought give in the mounts[ Rubber ] on the 100's -200's-300's D &W series and get away with it.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

I'm not sure exactly what the method was to dodges madness.

I had a 1970 d400 once .It came as a /6 truck from the factory.When I got it it had a 318la with the side perches. I dropped in a 361 with a front perch.When I did ,I had to drill out the rivits in the tranny x member and drop it down to the lower holes to level the engine out.

pfury369
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pfury369 »

how do you tell the difference between an eaton 16802 and a 13802 rear end. it has a 2 speed with 6.33 gears ? also is there a inner fender ( splash guard)for the drivers side that has the shock located behind the wheel for the power steering models ?

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Do you have a picture of the box on that power steering setup? I haven't seen one like that before...

pfury369
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pfury369 »

i will get a better pic of that gearbox form the top. the whole truck was upgraded from new,the front end is the heavey 5000lb with the ps . the front left shock was angle back to clear that steering gearbox. the motor is a 413 with and clutch and bell from a 700. the trans went to a 5 speed np542 ,and the rearend went to a eaton from the rockwell. the frame was doubled and there is 2 hugh under cab gas tanks to feed it. you mite as well have bought the 600 or 700 truck. truely a white elephant , thanks for any help figuring this out

pfury369
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by pfury369 »

on the d-500 eaton rearend,what is the best way to lube the wheel bearing, the oil bath or the grease conversion ? where can you still buy the outer axle spindle nut with the seal in it that keeps the rearend oil out of the hub cavity ?the nut is a 2.5-12 tread. this conversion was done on this truck and there is no number on that "outer seal nut " and no one seems to no about this part. i would like a choice on what to do ?

EGroscup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Escondido
State: CA

Post by EGroscup »

A decent big truck parts shop should have all the seals and hardware whichever way you decide to go. With the older stuff, bring it in and play match up. Sometimes if you get super lucky, one of your local Napa stores might have a counterman that is familiar with their heavy duty line. Erik