Re-powering to a 5.9 cummins?

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
hammerhands

Re-powering to a 5.9 cummins?

Post by hammerhands »

I am considering a power upgrade to a 5.9 litre cummins. I would also be looking to put a 6 spd man. trans behind it. I currently have the 318 w/4 spd. Is there anybody out there that has done this kind of re-power? Thanks in advance for any help!

Post by Guest »

Hammerhands,

I've seen it done a couple times, but no solid tech tips. One thing to consider; the motor mounts on the `72-`93 trucks for small blocks cross are compatible with `61-`71 Dodge trucks (the bracket on the motor). Considering that, you may be able to get the same mounts on the `89-`93 truck to fit with little or no mods on the `61-`71 Truck Frame.

Also, remember that the diesel is a heavier motor. I've heard the `89-`93 engines/controllers only require one wire hookup to get them running... `94 and later is more complicated. See also http://www.fordcummins.com/.

Kris

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

you are going to run into a few problems.

#1= the 5.9 is too long for the engine compartment, so youll have to sink the fire wall a bit or relocate the rad support for it to fit.

#2= the 5.9 is way heavier then what the front springs are rated for. so an upgrade to suspension is a neccesity for proper handleing.

#3= lots and lots of wireing and fuel system changes.

#4= the low end torque the 5.9 cummins puts out is going to require both frame and motor mount strengthening or it will eventually rip itself out of the truck.

these are just a few of the problems that have been discucced in the past. hope it helps.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

The Cummins is a Ford built engine. Keep it all Dodge. Put in a Ford Powerstroke, made by "Innertrashenal", which is owned by Dodge. Easier to fit in too, it is a V8. Not as much power as a straight 6 diesel, but...
Just a thought.
-WD
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

steveinaz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Phoenix
State: AZ

Post by steveinaz »

WD wrote:The Cummins is a Ford built engine. -WD
Ford does not build Cummins engines. Cummins is its own company and not affiliated with any auto manufacturer.

steveinaz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Phoenix
State: AZ

Proof

Post by steveinaz »

This is a question posted on the Cummins website....

http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/prod ... C4A8F00000

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

If Ford owned Cummins, they'd sure as hell would be installing the rattler we all know and love in THEIR trucks rather than that PowerChoke thing. Ford has never owned that company, ever.

Daimler-Chysler owns Freightliner, not International. They also have contracts with Mitsubishi Fuso for medium-duty trucks, and are separate agreements, no cross-pollenation.

Cummins and D-C still have at least three more years left in their present agreement to provide engines for the Dodge truck. In MY 2009, allegedly all of the new Dodge trucks will have M-B five- and six-cylinder Diesels (same as the M-B-produced Freightliner and Dodge cargo vans.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

WD when did Daimler buy Navistar? I was aware that Freightliner, American La France was owned by Daimler/Chrysler but not International/Navister.
I had heard that Ford owns a portion of Cummins but due to a long standing contract with Dodge the Fords can not use the engine plus they would have to retool their trucks to accept the longer straight 6.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Guess the big rig diesel guy who did my Mack/International engines didn't tell me the right info. Figured he knew what he was talking about based on his HOT 92 3500 Cummins 4X. Which had no trouble pulling my 74 Mack after I spit the drive shaft out. Hmm, mud, low range twin stick trans, 100K pounds of wet sod on a truck rated for 54K. And his one ton pulled the whole shooting match. 26K pound tractor, 10K pound trailer, 100K load, 3500 pound forklift.

Was given the same info at a Dodge dealership in farm country in late 93 when the new body style (for then) came out.

And by a Cummins shop in Memphis in 2000.
-WD
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

Looks like steve had the answer. The Cummins web site said that Ford does not own any part of Cummins.
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

68crewcab

Post by 68crewcab »

wideblock66 wrote:you are going to run into a few problems.

#1= the 5.9 is too long for the engine compartment, so youll have to sink the fire wall a bit or relocate the rad support for it to fit.

#2= the 5.9 is way heavier then what the front springs are rated for. so an upgrade to suspension is a neccesity for proper handleing.

#3= lots and lots of wireing and fuel system changes.

#4= the low end torque the 5.9 cummins puts out is going to require both frame and motor mount strengthening or it will eventually rip itself out of the truck.

these are just a few of the problems that have been discucced in the past. hope it helps.
The 1th generation 5.9 with out the intercooler and the fancy electronics fit and look factory, there are a few on the web if u look thru all the dodge truck websites, think i saw it on powerwagon.com, no firewall was touched and just a simple wire to the fuel pump for the solenoid, most dont have a write up so it is still no mans land with the swap, there is even a 6 cyl perkins swap or 2 out there to with no butchering, remember the perkins was a dodge factory option on sweptlines. I dont buy the ripped frames stuff, if that was true the 440 inch trucks would have discovered any weakness, IMHO. But for sure put new springs under the front of any truck u swap it to especially if a w100 witgh saggy onesLOl