**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Grill repair...how?

Post by WD »

I want a mid-65 to 67 on my 69. However, I'm not having much luck finding a good one. By the time I straighten and repaint one, I'll probably have decided not to use it.

So, here's the meat of my question. Do I fix the aluminum 69 (which is truly trashed), or rebuild a not quite so trashed 66/67 steel grille? Haven't got a clue how to fix the aluminum grille, which is squished from the top, pushed in at the top, and torn in the upper mounting flanges. The steel ones I could pound out, weld if needed and repaint, no problem. But, I kind of like the bright grille.

These are the grilles available in the area : 65 4 headlight (D300); 66 D100; 67 D200; 70 or 71 D100 (trashed like mine); 69 D100 (trashed like mine).

I don't know diddly about aluminum welding. Have neither the equipment or the patience or the money to learn. Quite open to ideas. 66 and 67 have damaged pie plates, bad lenses, and are somewhat rusty. 65 is nice, but I don't have a 4 headlight D300. Getting close to building a steel replica of what I have now, but would prefer an actual Dodge grille.
-WD
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...

FredM
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by FredM »

being I can't remember anything, I'm sure that someone will correct me on the wrong parts of this

when you decide what grill you want,you will know what hood you want also.

you can remove the 300 from the 4 headlight grill but you will need the hood to match it

I think that 68 hood has the same lines as the 69-71 just above the grill
kind of a transition hood, with the fake louvers like the older hoods

keep looking and you will find your grill, lots of steel 70-71 grills out there, just paint it or have it cromed

there I typed a lot and didn't say much
ENJOY LIFE, --- It's the longest thing anyone ever does-- --

When seconds count, Help is only minutes away-----------------

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

My opinion; anyone who could weld aluminum good enough to fix a grille has sold his soul to the devil :joker

A good aluminum grille is tough to find and expensive. Good steel grilles are around and cheaper. It might be cost effective to take one of them to the plater and have it chromed.

dodgetkboy78
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Big Lake
State: AK

Post by dodgetkboy78 »

i have (3) nice 70-71grills and am lucky! (they are all nice)ones absoulutly perfect! i was wondering too, there is no good way to fix them?