Tilt(?) parts...

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**

Tilt(?) parts...

Post by Guest »

I read in an older post that someone saw one of our trucks with a dump bed and a tilting one piece front end. How do you do this? I've only ever seen kits for mini trucks. It would make servicing the engine much easier for me, and I occasionally haul bark and such in the bed. Shoveling it out is getting a mite too hard.
Thank you gentlemen for any assistance you may render. And I thank the ladiesonthe board for just being here. Does an older guy's heart good to see you getting involved as well.

cudaboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by cudaboy »

If my memory serves me correctly ( and sometimes it doesn't) a company called U.S.Body Source makes one piece tilt front caps for sweptline pickups as well as for ford and chevy.or at least they did about ten yrs ago when I had their catologue.
M.O.P.A.R. =
My Own Private Adrenaline Rush !

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

No such luck on the US Body Source they only cover flat fenders and 72 and newer.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Tilt front on a swept is going to be a challenge. The fenders go past the front edge of the cab and along the side of the cab for about 10", and the cowl hangs over the top edge of the fender.
Saw this one along the hiway and HAD to get some pics:

mopar-maniac

Post by mopar-maniac »

Here's something from the everything store. It'd take care of the rear tilt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... RK:MEWA:IT

Not the type of airbags generally thought of on classic trucks, but hey. If it wasn't for the price, I'd sure like one.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Dump bed can be done with all new parts for under a grand. Look for the kits in any of the horse magazines (western, not that silly English stuff).

Tilt isn't hard either. Angle cut the front inner and outer fenders. Remove the hood hinges, Drill 3 holes per side and bolt the hood to the fender sections. Install Mack or related hood hinges to front panel under grill and to frame. Run strut rods from core support to firewall so the radiator won't fall over. At the fender cuts, weld on some angle iron. Drill a couple holes per piece, use bolts for alignment. Or weld in dowel pins on one piece to mate up to the other piece. Add limiter straps to keep the front end from over extending. Use two terminal blocks and some extra wire to extend the harness. You also need to relocate the battery, under the floor with an aftermarket 47 Chevy-style box works great. I've done the conversion to a couple other trucks (64 F250, 70 something IH). Hardest part is getting everything gapped correctly and lined up right before the final hardware tightening. A hinge kit from one of the aftermarket shops speeds it up significantly. Oh, and lowering or notching the front bumper helps.

Sounds like the original questioner is older than most of us. Full size Caddilac or Thunderbird convertible top hydraulic cylinders and pump are more than strong enough for a power tilt front end. The book "How to Build Hot Rod Trucks" walks you through the process two ways if pics are needed.
-WD
If I didn't build it, it ain't mine.

1949 Dodge B1B-108; 1969 D100-128; 72 Super Beetle; and a bunch of others...