possibly changing from carb, dist. to fuel injection, elect.

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
Goodboy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Silver city
State: NM

possibly changing from carb, dist. to fuel injection, elect.

Post by Goodboy »

I'm getting tired of my carb. , Ignition system setup. I would like to know if changing to EFI and EI would work for my motor. Also would like some leads for the parts , prefer quality parts.
I have a 1970 D-100 318. recently rebulit .30 over with new cam and most internal parts. Has 13,000 miles on new motor now. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

Going from points and a carb to Fuel injection and electronic ign. is always an inprovement. You can try eldelbrock on the fuel injection or see what Summitt racing offers. I would stay away from the Holley injection systems I've heard that they are very tempermental and supseptable to dirt in the fuel.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

mopar-maniac

Post by mopar-maniac »

Depending on how handy you are with wires, and assuming it is a LA block 318, I believe stock Mopar parts could be used from a FI Magnum motor or such. I know there is some difference with the Magnum heads, so there may be a difference in the intake manifold as well. I haven't done this swap..., yet. If you have a buddy with a later motor, maybe you could take some measurements and make sure the angles are right etc. It's getting to the point where these components aren't that expensive from a junk yard. So if money is a problem (like it is for me) it would be worth looking into. Otherwise the other kits are much easier, proven to work, and plus they have a customer support hotline. :2cents

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

I've also wanted to go EFI. Here's what I've found.

The magnum manifold will not bolt to the LA motor - the bolts on the magnum bolt straight down vice angled on the LA. I have heard of someone modifying the magnum mnfld to fit but haven't gotten any confirmation. The Edelbrock system would be the easiest to install - but is not cheap. A custom system could be made from the stock magnum parts. A manifold (performer, torquer, etc) would have to be machined (injecter bungs welded in), the injectors and fuel rails from the magnum intake fitted to it, computer robbed from the magnum donor vehicle, and sensor fitted to the flywheel.
THis is also not cheap.
Makes me wonder if it would have been better to just swap in a magnum 360.

mopar-maniac

Post by mopar-maniac »

Bummer that the new manifold won't work. I wonder if the intake could be notched or use an angled spacer so that the bolts could seat properly. Is this the only thing keeping the swap from working?
As far as going for a whole new motor, I was thinking along a similar line. I've heard the Magnum heads bolt to the older block with a little machining. So... :idea why not add the magnum heads for more power anyway, then everything above it works! Then I realized, :thinking I may as well just buy the whole engine. :banghead

I'm hoping to swap in a NV4500 five speed as well. So I'm saving my pennies for a wrecked donor truck. I'm just glad that used Magnum prices have dropped now that there is new Hemi. :dance

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Seabee »

My thoughts followed the same path...
The magnum heads go on with some machining, different pushrods and lifters to accomodate through pushrod oiling... etc...
If you're going to stay small block... Blast it all, just put in the magnum!
Then there's an easier transformation to turbo... hmmmmm.

mopar-maniac

Post by mopar-maniac »

Hmm, turbo. Now that's an interesting thought! Generally the small block has all the power I need. I don't really intend to drag race it as it is a crew cab and will be a 4X4. But, on the other hand. A turbo would mean I could run it in mud drags. ...That would be interesting.

Do you have any more info on the turbo setup. How does the Magnum make it easier. Are there kits, or is this strictly build it yourself. My grandpa taught me a lot about mechanicing, but I learned what I know about fab work myself and am still learning the skills that a lot of the people here already know. Crossing my fingers that it's a kit.
:Thumbsup

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Seabee »

Sadly no, no kit, but there's not really that much to it. The reason that the magnum makes it easier is that it's already fuel injected. You can do turbo with carb, but modifying the carb for blow-through and jetting/metering it for the boost is a pain. Fuel injection allows you to pick injectors of proper flow size, and computer control of the mixture. Much easier.

Here's my thoughts on reasonably priced turbo setup for small block mopar;
Two Garrett T-3 / T-4 turbo's. These are readily available and were used on MANY production 4 and 6 cyl auto's for years. They are oil and water cooled and come with integral wastegate. Two of them are just right for 318 - 360 sized motor.

Pressure bonnet, to direct all that boost down it's throat!

Blow off valve; to dump the boost when the throttle plates are closed.

Plumbing. If stock exhaust manifolds can be flipped and dump to the upper front, it's simply a matter of fab'ing a mounting plate to mount the turbo's to them. Tubing/hose is then fabricated from the turbo's to a pressure bonnet on the intake. Exhaust tubing fab'd to the rear.

Of course as they say, "the devil is in the details", but this is essentially all there is to it.
You would want to visit with an experienced turbo engine builder (there's a great communitiy out there) and determine what fuel system mods (higher pressure/volume pump) etc, might be needed along with possible computer reprogramming or replacement to handle the new fuel curve that would be required.

Do an eBay search for garrett t-3 turbo's and see what's available. You'll be intrigued I'm sure. I see doing a complete twin turbo sweptline project for well under the cost of a Magnacharger or similar blower setup as being a real possibility.

When I've got a couple grand extra to throw at my truck; there will be turbo's in it.

mopar-maniac

Post by mopar-maniac »

Oh, no! Now there are thoughts of a 66 single cab, sb utiline with chrome rims and a raked stance set up with the twin turbo setup. It's okay to build a truck around an engine, right?!

Okay, I see what you mean about the swap being easier. I heard even GM had trouble with the carb turbo set-up on their (correct me if I'm wrong) early 80's 305 small blocks. Something like in order to keep the mix from predetonation, the pressure was so low that the turbos were essentially just an engine ornament. The later buick 3.8T was a different story, but I think it was efi and computer controlled. I don't have a clue about the 2.3 turbo Fords though. I heard they were a decent motor to put in a bug or dune runner.

Sounds like a solid plan for the motor though. Turbo prices have plummeted while expertise has skyrocketed in the last several years. The electrical sounds very doable, but I might get hung up fabricating the other components. I'll add it to my "big dream" list. First though will be finding the motor and trans. What setup are you running Seabee? Your truck looks sweet, but what year 318 are you running? I'd sure like to see a close up of your hood scoop. I've been wondering what that would look like on an early hood, but cardboard and old paint don't give the same effect that your's does.

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Seabee »

My 318 is a '75. The 727 auto is as far as I know the original '68. they've both been rebuilt with some go-fast pull-hard goodies.

Here are a couple of shots from when I was fitting the scoop to the hood: