**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
petee33333
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Edgewood
State: NM

1969 D100 383 - Carburetor Help?!?

Post by petee33333 »

I need some assistance with my newly installed rebuilt carb on a 383 Engine (for my very close to running well 1969 Sweptline.)
It looks like this Image.

Here is my problem. It had a BIG YELLOW WARNING STICKER on it that said basically ... "Do not remove the Brass Fuel Line Fitting, it is the needle valve seat and if it is removed the thing will flood and or run like crud. etc.. " (OK, I am summarizing) ...
BIG YELLOW TAG!
BIG YELLOW TAG!
Well, as you have probably already guessed... I removed that stupid thing without thinking.. took it down to the auto parts store and found an adapter for my fuel lines...(seemed like a smart thing to do at the time) I slapped the whole thing back together and ... FLOOD.. gas is flowing out the top like old faithful. Only after that happened did I find and finally really pay attention to the BIG YELLOW WARNING STICKER.... brilliant..

So, my question is... If I open this thing up, is it pretty straight forward how to reseat the needle or whatever needs to be done? Or am I better off taking it to a rebuilder? I don't (usually )consider myself an idiot, but I am very much a newbie when it comes to carburetors.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
1969 D100 Adventurer 383 Automatic

Trailmaster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ellicott
State: CO

Re: 1969 D100 383 - Carburetor Help?!?

Post by Trailmaster »

Did the needle come out with the brass fitting? If it didn't you will probably need to take the top off the carb to retrieve it. If it did come out look to see that it didn't wind up somewhere that you can retrieve it and reinstall it. If you cant find the needle you can always buy a new needle and seat, but you may have to readjust the float level to make it run right.

Where did you get such a nice looking carb?
70 D200 Camper Special 383/727/4:10/AC/PS/PB
74 Trailduster 318/727/NP203/3.55/PS/PB
75 Duster 225/904/PS
76 D300 Adventurer Sport 440/727/4:10/AC/PS/PB/Cruise

truckluvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eastern
State: OR

Post by truckluvr »

When you removed it did you loose the needle valve? It fits in the brass part that you removed. Without it nothing is there to stop fuel flow. Plus the reason why the yellow sticker says that is basically the float is set with it installed. If you remove it and reinstall it tighter it will raise the float level which could cause a flooding situation. Too loose and it could lower the level not allowing the accelerator pump well to fill or other issues. They are actually fairly simple carbs to rebuild but without a carb rebuild kit and some basic knowledge on assembly and disassembly you could be in trouble. first thing I'd check would be to see if you lost the needle valve. If you did you will need to get a carb kit and replace it and see if that solves your problems.

petee33333
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by petee33333 »

Ask and you shall receive... ..
Thank you gents for confirming what I just found out... I lack patience even more than knowledge about carburetors, so i tore into it before waiting for an answer.

I took the top off and looked at the float and stuff and realized that there was something missing between the float end and the valve... So I asked myself... What would go in a needle seat valve? hmmmm.. a NEEDLE seat valve.. nope.. I'm stumped.. I finally looked in the pocket of the shirt I put the valve in when I took it to the store... and... what is this little thing?!?!? looks like a bit for one of those all in one screwdrivers that don't work that well. Wait a minute... Perhaps this is.... A NEEDLE!! Wow... I am feeling very brilliant about now..

I put that sucker in there, put it all back together and installed it.... My crash course in carburation has been completed...

VROOM VROOM!! It started... and... after a minor adjustment of the mixture screws.... it even IDLES!!!!!

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

Thanks everyone!!

petee33333
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by petee33333 »

Trailmaster wrote:Did the needle come out with the brass fitting? If it didn't you will probably need to take the top off the carb to retrieve it. If it did come out look to see that it didn't wind up somewhere that you can retrieve it and reinstall it. If you cant find the needle you can always buy a new needle and seat, but you may have to readjust the float level to make it run right.

Where did you get such a nice looking carb?

Actually that is a picture off the internet that looks just like mine, but it is not an "actual" photo. Mine looks about that good, it was a refurb on Ebay... It is a carter BBD 1 1/2 .....

Seems to work pretty well... I will put some pictures up of mine soon... I am pretty excited about the possibility of actually driving it tomorrow. Tires first...

runcharger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: B.C.

Post by runcharger »

Dang! Sorry but I just have to chuckle about this one. Glad it came out okay for you. And yeah we need pics!

Sheldon

legacyABQ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Albuquerque

Post by legacyABQ »

Were the people selling it on EBay like a regular shop?

If so, what's the name if you remember?

Thanks!

I'd like to look them up; that carb is nice and it's OE..
..there's no longer anything new to say about corn..

1968 D200 Camper Special 383ci 727 PwrSteering

Trailmaster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ellicott
State: CO

Post by Trailmaster »

And it looks like the same one that's on my truck, except a whole lot cleaner.
70 D200 Camper Special 383/727/4:10/AC/PS/PB
74 Trailduster 318/727/NP203/3.55/PS/PB
75 Duster 225/904/PS
76 D300 Adventurer Sport 440/727/4:10/AC/PS/PB/Cruise

petee33333
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by petee33333 »

111509 034 (Medium).jpg
This is the actual Carb installed. It looks nice and clean compared to the rest of the engine compartment!

I will post the ebay sellers info soon, It wasn't purchased with my ebay account so I had to ask my Dad to find it for me...

surfnuke9
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Churchton
State: MD

Post by surfnuke9 »

do an EBay search for "383 carb" or for dodge truck carb and they will come up.

not bad $$ either. usually run 129 to 159 for a "reman" carb.
Tim

1971 W200 383 4-spd Utiline/long bed