**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

my new crew, need some answers please.

Post by wideblock »

ok, heres what i deducted thru research and educated assumptions as to how this truck came to be. im told it was bought from the dealer this way with one of them huge cab over campers on it. so, heres what i have come up with, feel free to add to or correct anything. rolled of the factory as a d200 long bed crew. shes a 65 d200/300, 318 poly, 727 dash shift, dana 60 w/4.10's. possibly camper special package, but theres no emblems. then it goes to the rv shop. where its modified with over load springs, under dash a/c, p/s, p/b, converted to dually, wired for the camper, auxillary fuel tank is added, camper slid in and hooked up, and everything is sent back to the dealer and sold as a package. am i way off base on my new ride? or am i at least close. this is an original dually, im just trying to track down if its dealer optioned original, or factory original. this is the only one i have ever seen like this, and i have seen a lot of swepts. any idea how many might have been produced? i have seen plenty of cab over camping conversions, but never any dually's.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Post by cudajimmy »

Trey, looks like you may have an ultra rare there! Are the rear fenders glass?
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

i dont get it till next weekend. so all i know is whats in the pics. i posted more pics at my webshots page. http://community.webshots.com/user/wideblock
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

FredM, Frank or Terry might be able to shed some
light on this for you. I have never seen a 200
with duals from the factory. I have never seen that
type of fender flare either. This is an early '65
right? It does have the narrower tailgate... yes??
Congrats on your new truck(s)! :clap :clap
John

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

Those fender extensions look familiar, but I'm not sure from where. It's definitely a conversion. Duals aren't even listed as an available option for a 3/4-ton...but then, you could get damn near anything done if you had the $$$ and/or the connections necessary. Cool rig! The blue trucks' successor, I take it???
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

the fenders are universal for the dually conversion kit. i have seen the exact fenders on 60's era fords and chevys in the past. but this is the first dodge i have ever seen with them. funny thing, im told the passenger fender is actually mounted rearward about 2 or 3 inches compared to the drivers side to clear the bed mounted tool box door. look close, you can see it in the pic. and yes, its early 65, round tail lights, narrow tail gate, 4 headlights. check the link in my signature to my webshots page, i uploaded all the pics i have of it so far. what im wondering, its titled as a d300?? this clearly is built off a d200 chassis. are these rigs titled as to capacity and not neccesarily from what the started life as??
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

The crew long bed frame were all streched at the factory
to take the long full size beds. After that who knows...
the rest could all be post dealer or dealer/RV mods.
Must take a Texas mile to trun that thing around.... :Thumbsup
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Are you keeping the dual set up or still looking
for a SRW 3:54 DANA 60?
John

FredM
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by FredM »

I would guess that someone took it to a shop or did the mods them selves
in later years.

If the title is for a d-300 someone has fibbed some, check the vin numbers to see what it is, and try to get it right when you title it.

300 would have 6 lug wheels and a straight frame fron to rear.
ENJOY LIFE, --- It's the longest thing anyone ever does-- --

When seconds count, Help is only minutes away-----------------

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

i still want to hook up a 3.54 sooner or later. gonna have to see in person how the duals are mounted, might just wind up changing gear packs on this rear end. most of my driving will be in the freeway, so the 4.10s will be out the door soon as i can afford it. and i will be keeping it dually, mainly for the novelty of it.

fred, i agree with you on the 300 vs 200, youll get to see it next weekend, cant roll by your place without stopping. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

I think I've seen those fenders on toyota/minnibeggo duelly trucks too. Thats a wholelottatruck.Ilike it.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Those fenders are STILL available. If it was converted at an RV shop, then the tonnage is correct on the title at 300 series. Once an RV shop gets it, the tonnage is corrected (usually) to reflect the changes in the suspension, regardless of the chassis. There should be a conversion VIN plate on one of the jambs or under the hood on the firewall. If there is not a second VIN plate, it was not shop converted. Oh, and the toolbox door looks to be out of a Ford bed, just FYI. Removed from the front bottom corner of a 61-64, and grafted into the Dodge bed beltline.

Dodge used to build whatever you could come up with the scratch for. That is why if it looks factory on an older Dodge, you keep it that way (externally at least). I had a truck that never existed according to the books (dealer and parts store), yet the VIN plate (riveted on) showed the truck as leaving the factory with those parts. You may have lucked into a hyper-rare factory built. I've even seen a 66 with the placard reading 426H in the engine ID box. And yes, the truck had a factory installed 426 Hemi. The owner had the build sheet from when the truck was ordered.

Can't wait to see this one get done. A plain vanilla CC dually!?! What a canvas to play with. I'm jealous.
-WD

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

im workin a deal with my buddy at the ford dealer to get me the conversion spacers ford has used for years on the front of thier duallys. they have regular hubs, with these cast steel spacers to account for the dually offset on the front end. if i can, shes getting a set of chrome dodge dually wheels with the rams head center caps, limo tinted windows, and "arrest me red" paint to go with the black interior. not to mention the "look at me" exhaust system, twin dvd screens mounted in the front seat heads rests for my kids, 40 gallon ram charger tank located in the rear of the frame, and a blow your ears out sound system. since this ones gonna be paid for, free and clear, i can toss the extra money into the things i want. my woman is a sales rep for the local paper, shes got contacts that hook us up on stereos, paint and body, wheels and tires etc. all i got to do is advertise thier bussiness on my show plaque. gonna take full advantage of that. :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

Post by Guest »

Wideblock, before you go showing it, turn the fenders around, they are mounted on the wrong side of the bed. You can pull the same spacers off 72-78 Dodges. Or get them through JC Whitless. Fenders available same source if they get damaged.
Ramcharger 40 or Suburban 60 gallon will fit where the spare tire is supposed to be. If it hasn't been done already, spray the inside of the toolbox with Hammerite or bed liner. They are notorious for rotting out. If you have room, 235/85/16s are the mutt's nuts on fullsize duallies. You can get super aggressive rears, highway fronts, and have a nearly unstoppable on/offroad truck.
Definitely dump the 4.10s for something friendlier. I bet you pull 6-8mpg tops until you do. Local boneyard has a set of poly truck headers on the shelf if you need them. Light surface rust, no deep pits or blowouts. Also has a poly tri-power intake, with carbs, that came off the same truck. Pricey as hell (over a grand), but would sure go good with that truck of yours. Same yard has a two speed rear axle under a 4 headlight 1 ton. You'd need the front end too though. It's the 6 lug dually set-up it left the factory with.

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

can you get me some pics and a price on just the headders?? 2 dueces are a pain in the nards to keep running right, been there, done that, wont do it again. as far as the 235's, that what i have always run on my duallys, all 6 tires. usually an agressive set on the back, and a good all terrain up front. and your right, with a posi, thier aint no stoppin you. what makes you think the fenders are backwards, they look right to me? if they were turned around, the bottom edges wouldnt line up right.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

mopar-maniac

Post by mopar-maniac »

Wish I had answers for you, but really I just want to congratulate you on the truck. It looks like a good driver, and the red and black scheme should look good. Mine has that combo and I like it even though it is faded. With all the mods, it sounds just like how I want my CC to turn out.
:Thumbsup

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

Wideblock, it could be an optical delusion, however, the fat and angled part of the dually fender usually goes to the rear. In the picture, the wide section looks like it is toward the front of the bed. Probably what was meant.
-WD

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by wideblock »

i figured the pointed part was at the front to help in aerodynamics! :lol: :Thumbsup
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

Nice truck. The fenders look like their backwards to me also. Have fun with all your mods.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

On the dually part the only trucks that came as a dually were the 300s and they have the straight frome with the added filler panel in the front to hide the lift of the cab. Also the only box available for the 300 was the utiline only in the w series, after that you could get a flatbed but most of them were done by body installers. I'd say that your truck is not originally a dual wheel. How many lugs does it have. 6 lug for all 1 tons to 68 and then 8 lugs after.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed