Rear underbed gas tank conversion

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Rear underbed gas tank conversion

Post by MOPAT »

:Thumbsup
The reason I was measuring mine is that I am looking @ doing something similar during my build.
I had a 75 gal. 'L' shaped "fuel transfer tank" under my crossbed bed tool box. The extra weight smoothed out the ride considerably and it was
GREAT for BOONY CRUISING but 70 gal @ $3.50/gal got a bit out of hand. :banghead :banghead :banghead
Next time it will be ~30 gal with a few 5 gal 'Jerry cans' strapped down in the back when I go exploring.
One of the guys I know locally put a '84 Ramcharger poly tank in his 70 W100 SWB and seems real happy with it.
I'm going to measure up the tank in my '79 B200 van and see if something similar will fit. It is 39 gal, and sits between the rails. :idea
I'd like to see some of your pictures as you progress..........
hanks
Pat
Last edited by MOPAT on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
68 W200 383/727 Dynatrac 35 spline 4.10 limited slip rear end
68 D200 CS {parts for the '68 W200}
71 D200 CS ADVENTURER{parting out
79 B200 van with 'crate' 360/360hp 3.23 Auburn limited slip
73 CJ5 304V-8 Metal Cab
"They ain't pretty But they're paid for"!

surfnuke9
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Churchton
State: MD

Post by surfnuke9 »

The ramcharger tanks are almost the same dimensions as the bronco tank.

Main difference was availability. Couldnt locate a used ramcharger tank (that didnt look in awful condition) or a new one, and the new bronco tank I got was only about 140 bucks.

I plan to take some mockup pics this weekend.
Tim

1971 W200 383 4-spd Utiline/long bed

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denton

Post by hampstead38 »

MOPAT wrote::Thumbsup
GREAT for BOONY CRUISING but 70 gal @ $3.50/gal got a bit out of hand. :banghead :banghead :banghead
Pat
I didn't know it was cheaper to fill up a 35 gallon tank twice than a 70 gallon tank once. :thinking

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MOPAT »

:lol:
ALL DEPENDS......on how much change you can find under the seat @ 1 time. :joker
73 CJ5 304V-8 Metal Cab

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hampstead38 »

How about clearance between the tank and the exhaust? I was thinking about a rectangular tank between the frame rails with a fill tube in the bed near the rear wheel well. Heck... I could even do TWO fill tubes for those times I just too lazy to make one more turn. :lol: I don't want the exhaust too close to the tank... is a few inches enough? Or should I add some kind of insulation?

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Post by JimE »

I went by a tank fabrication shop this morning and asked about putting one of the Ramcharger tanks behind the rear wheels. The response I got was "IT WON'T FIT", he says the frame is to narrow. That kind of put that idea out of my mind, what I'm still looking for is a tank big enough to go 350 miles with out stopping for gas and to get the 25 gallon tank out of the cab. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hampstead38 »

Jim,

I'm not a math whiz, but I think the area that holds the spare tire has got to be about 33" across since that's about how tall my tires are. A tank that is 33" by 33" by 12" deep will hold around 57 gallons. Even if you shave the tank to 10" tall you get 47 gallons. I figure around 50 gallons should get you from hither to yon in most situations. And I don't think it can hurt to put that weight on the rear of the truck when the roads are a bit slick. I don't know if this helps, but I hope it doesn't hurt.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

The '69 - '72 Blazer tank is nearly a bolt-in, as well. It's 30 gallons and is available through a number of parts houses.
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

moparbob71
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 21797

Post by moparbob71 »

Surf, I used a 16 gal Jaz cell and custom made the fill- goes where the spare tire was.I test fitted a 71 RR tank and it fits great but since it's a center fill I didn't want to cut my new chrome bumper. If I can help just ask.Cya!

jarheadsgt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: omaha
State: NE

Post by jarheadsgt »

I did this in the 70s whit an olds tank, a big flat one I got from the county boneyard and strapped to under the bed where the spare tire rack was. I used anout as much banding as I could and it worked well. I never ran out of gas running cross country to my girlfriends house. I had to add an electric boost pump or it would suck the fuel out of the front tank first, and the rear did not have a guage. I had to shut off the boost pump when it started thumping on the rail, you could feel it. I will look as soon as I get back to my truck rehab project in a couple of weeks to see how it is working

T748
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vallejo California

Post by T748 »

I mounted a 25 gallon tank in the spare tire area of my 63 longbed. The tank and mounting straps were taken from a mid 70's Chrysler New Yorker. The front strap tabs were welded to the shock crossmember, and the rear just uses carridge bolts through the bed. The fill tube comes out in the area between the bumper and the tailgate. It's behind the rubber flap on the right of the license plate in the bottom pic. -Tom.

asf93555
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ridgecrest
State: CA

Post by asf93555 »

[quote="jarheadsgt"]I did this in the 70s whit an olds tank, a big flat one I got from the county boneyard and strapped to under the bed where the spare tire rack was. I used anout as much banding as I could and it worked well. I never ran out of gas running cross country to my girlfriends house. I had to add an electric boost pump or it would suck the fuel out of the front tank first, and the rear did not have a guage. I had to shut off the boost pump when it started thumping on the rail, you could feel it. I will look as soon as I get back to my truck rehab project in a couple of weeks to see how it is working [/quote]

nice job and thanks for the great pics . . .

surfnuke9
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by surfnuke9 »

Here is a pic of the tank and a frame I made out of 1" square steel tubing and 2" angle iron to support it.

Plan is to hang tank and frame from the frame rails using 1/8" by 3" steel flat bar stock.

Shouldnt go anywhere.

Also, while I was at it, I found a Dodge decal that fits my tailgate very well and put it on.
Attachments
P1050743.JPG
P1050738.JPG
Tim

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MOPAT »

Looking good!
How far below the rails or above the ground will it be?
Where did you decide to put the filler?
I'd like to see the "installed" pictures when you get time.
Pat
73 CJ5 304V-8 Metal Cab

surfnuke9
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by surfnuke9 »

The top curvature of the tank fits the rear crossmember almost perfectly, but the tank hangs down too low in my opinion.

I plan to move the crossmember back about 4 inches from its current location. That will allow me to raise the tank another 3-4". Gett at the rivets to move that thing is going to be a PITA. Will likely have to pull the bed boards above the upper ones to get at them.

Figuring out where to put the filler on a Ute is a bit tough. My plan for the filler is to install a flush mount stainless marine style filler in the top of the drivers side rear fender and run the filler pipe/hose from there through/under the inner fender/bed bottom.

That was one of the reasons I picked the Bronco tank. Has a center, drivers side fill connection.
Tim

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hampstead38 »

How many gallons is the Bronco tank?

surfnuke9
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by surfnuke9 »

33 gallons
Tim

junior
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: san bernardino

Post by junior »

Look in plastic mart in the internet,they have 12 gallon plastic tanks cheap. Bought one for my 47 dodge 1.5 ton truck back in 2004. Good luck!

calmauzy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: SoCal

Post by calmauzy »

Here's what I did. Purchased a new 65 Mustang 16 gallon tank on line (came with sending unit), you can also get them in I believe a 22 gallon as well, both will work, the 22 gallon isn't flat on top but there's plenty of room for it. Had a fabricator make a square stock frame to which the fuel tank was bolted to. He drilled four holes through the tank frame into the trucks frame then spot welded the nuts to the frame. Four bolts hold the tank in place against the frame. Purchased a aftermarket fuel door for a Jeep and had him fab it up inside the trucks bed. No more gas smell inside the cab. Works perfectly, even the Mustang's sending unit works with the dash fuel gauge. Doesn't hang down, tank is hardly noticeable from the rear.
Attachments
Nuts welded to frame
Nuts welded to frame
Gas%20Tank%20&%20Bumper%20003.jpg
Gas%20Tank%20&%20Bumper%20002.jpg
Gas%20Tank%20&%20Bumper%20001.jpg
Gas%20Tank%20&%20Bumper%20005.jpg
Gas%20Tank%20&%20Bumper%20006.jpg

63d100sixer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside

Post by 63d100sixer »

calmauzy....thats a slick set-up there..Ive been pondering doing almost the same thing, with the filler door in the bed floor...my only concern is what if Im runnin with a full load...I guess I can always just fill up before i load the bed, but thats too easy... :thinking
Kevin. Loyal dodge enthusiast since I could hold a wrench

Put your seat belt on. I'm gonna try something
1968 D200 318 727
1972 D100 360 4 speed
1973 d100 318 727
1973 W100 440 727