Vintage Air Install

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
Cleanfingernails
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Vintage Air Install

Post by Cleanfingernails »

A mechanic is going to install a Vintage Air air conditioning system into my 1963 d300 this week. My research of our forums suggests I have purchaed the right system. I would like to draw on the collective wisdom of our members. For a competent mechanic who has done a few such installs over the years, what are the major non obvious challenges he will encounter, and, what have you learned, in hindsight, to overcome those challenges to get the job done right the first time?
Cleanfingernails
1963 D300 Poly318 Custom Original Camper

joshmeacham
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: St.George UT

Re: Vintage Air Install

Post by joshmeacham »

Just put one of these kits in my d100...No problems thus far. Going to make hoses tomorrow and charge it. I used larger evap out of a chevy van, and ended upgoing with a set of flex-a-lite fans. Pretty straight forward overall. I am using the stock heater setup - the a/c will be routed through the stock a/c dash.

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

i put in a Classic Auto Air unit.

It is probably about the same in terms of quality to the Vintage Air - i couldn't decide between the two so i went with the one that was in my state. i also liked the under dash that CAA sells since it matched my gauges in shape and finish- see photos below.

for the hoses i wanted a real clean install rather than run the hoses thru the fire wall so i used a bulk head connection. this way the hoses can make a 90 degree bend at the fire wall and allow me to tuck the hose up tight along the fender and firewall. an added benefit was it allowed me to clean up my underdash install as well.

i am not sure where you plan on mounting the compressor but i mounted mine below the alternator - i purtchased a Bouchillion Performance bracket kit. this created the need to put in in-line charge ports. i put one up close to the bulk head connector and the other is just behind the alternator.

i did not want to drill any holes in my dash so i constructed a few brackets out of angle iron and allowed for some slop by slotting the holes. this way i could use the existing holes in the dash that the reinforcing struts bolt into. i also did not want the unit to vibrate at all so i fabbed up a bracket for the firewall side of the unit so it would be suspended front and rear. i used one of the wiper motor mounting bolts as an anchor.

the biggest point i'd like to share is i drilled and tapped any bracket i made that a bolt would go into. this way i would only need one wrench when working under the dash to secure the nut side of the fastener.

ben

Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

Doubleup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Salinas
State: CA

Post by Doubleup »

Any tips on which Vintage Air system you used? I see a number of them under the builder series
Under Dash
Gen II Compac and Mini
Gen II Super & Magnum
I'd assume under dash is best however looking for input.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

There is at least one YouTube video. Search YouTube for: sweptline A/C or sweptline AC or sweptline air conditioning
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

nice may one day do mine
hope the 6 has enough hp to power it
any pics of the compressor

68swep
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Matthews
State: NC

Post by 68swep »

Nice work! Im actually having a shop put a vintage air and power steering on my 68 in two weeks. I have a slant six so im worried about not having any power after. Im considering getting a header with the two barrell manifold. Hopefully that will help?