Adventurer / Dude / Css .......what's the difference?

**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Adventurer / Dude / Css .......what's the difference?

Post by cudajimmy »

Okay. It's no secret I'm a former E body guy, who then went to B bodies, and is now into A bodies. I'm getting into trucks now, too, as you can probably tell by the fact that I'm here. I had a 70 sweptline in high school, but it met it's end in an unfortunate missed turn and a farm pond.

Fact is, I don't have a clue what the differences are between trim packages. I've get a Dodge truck book, but it doesn't help a bit.

I want to know the differences between:

ADVENTURER

DUDE

CSS

and any other trim/option packages that our trucks could come with.

Thanks in advance.
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

CSS - http://www.cssregistry.com/css
- http://www.sweptline.com/hist/css.html
offered from 1964 thru 1967 and are considered by many to be the rarest and most desireable dodge truck package produced esp if order with the High Performance Package.
the basics are Bucket seats from a dart, console from a fury or polara, racing stripes, and hand stitched carpet. engine options were 225, 318A, 318LA (1967), 383 two barrel (1967) and 426 street wedge (part of the 1964-1965 High Performance package)

Adventurer - 1968 - 1971
not as rare as a CSS or Dude but is still very desireable.
split bench buckets and nice chrome trim options - http://www.sweptline.com/hist/css.html

Dude - http://www.sweptline.com/hist/68-71.html
- http://www.rkcabinets.com/dude.htm
trim only option offered in 1970 and 1971 - very rare truck and also very desireable
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

wideblock
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: las cruces nm
State: NM

Post by wideblock »

you got the last 2 backwards ben, the adventurewr was trim only, the dude was trim and HP options as well. the css and the dude are the same effort at a performance truck, just different genrations. the css faded out, and the dude came in. the adventurer was various trim levels that made the later trucks pretty. they were available with any of the engine tranny combos, as well as 4wd that the css and dude never came on. then you got bens Hpp package. no show, all go!! thats the way i prefer them. :Thumbsup then theres the camper specials, rigged for hauling big loads. and last, but not least, the custom cabs, a few options to make them pretty, and available with any engine tranny combo. campers and customs were also available on the 4wd.
Trey

1965 CSS Utiline.

ex trucks:
70 D100
66 d100
66 d100
67 d100
69 d100
69 d200 crew cab
65 crew cab
66 d100
66 d100

"i don't know it all, but i know enough to be dangerous"

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

wideblock66 wrote:you got the last 2 backwards ben, the adventurewr was trim only, the dude was trim and HP options as well. the css and the dude are the same effort at a performance truck, just different genrations. the css faded out, and the dude came in. the adventurer was various trim levels that made the later trucks pretty. they were available with any of the engine tranny combos, as well as 4wd that the css and dude never came on. then you got bens Hpp package. no show, all go!! thats the way i prefer them. :Thumbsup then theres the camper specials, rigged for hauling big loads. and last, but not least, the custom cabs, a few options to make them pretty, and available with any engine tranny combo. campers and customs were also available on the 4wd.
sorry trey - i beg to differ with you on some of this.
you are right the CSS and the Dude are related but both are Trim and interior only options. the Dude is based loosely on the Adventurer trim package by using the interior upgrades offered on the Adventurer. the difference being the Dude used special stripes and colors. these efforts were used in an effort to boost industry wide laging truck sales and leverage some of the high impact graphics used on the succesful muscle cars being sold by dodge of that era. plus they used the high profile actor Don Knots to pitch the truck to the target audience. the Adventurer was built in responce to the CSS but with a catchier name. the Dude was built upon the success of the Adventurer but with muscle car good looks.

IMHO stripes, colors and a 383 2 barral used in the Dude and late CSS trim packages does not make up a performance group. check the Don Bunn books on the Dude option package.... he makes it perfectly clear that it is a trim only package...

the ONLY performance package ever offered in the sweptline series of truck was the High Performace Package. it was "officially" offered from 1964-1965. this is a SEPERATE and DISTINCT option group from the $235 CSS trim package. the $1250 HP Package consisted of the 426 wedge, loadflite tranny, power steering, rear axle traction bars, HD gauges witrh 6000 rpm tach and dual exhaust. the HP Package was only offered on LWB D100 and D200 trucks. keep in mind that some CSS trucks have the HP Package but most CSS trucks are 225, 318 or 383 equipped - http://www.cssregistry.com/css/reg.html

BTW - the CSS was offered on wide range of trucks from D and W 100 and 200, sweptline, utilines to chassis cabs - visit http://www.cssregistry.com/css/reg.html - i worked very hard to keep the site updated with my latest research. as for CSS PowerWagons there is now one VERIFIED example in the registry - http://cssregistry.com/css/64W200css-rlanier.html

i don't think i made mention the Adventurer as being billed as a HP group. if i am not mistaken the only factory built four barrel engine ever offered in 1961 to 1971 Sweptline Dodge truck was the 1964 to 1965 High Perforamce Package 426 Street Wedge. based on a quick look through my literature i don't think the Dude's 383 was a factory four barrel. the marketing of dodge trucks after 1965 was for comfort and towing a heavy load be it work or pleasure.
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

dude brochure -

the dude could not be ordered with the adventurer package as it deleted the chrome trim

Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Dude

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Wow, Learn something new everyday, thanks for the info, So none of the 383's had four barrells??? :thinking

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

yes sir - i may stand corrected by someone else but to my knowledge and all the literature i have read no 383s in our series truck had 4 barrels from the factory. i am not familiar with the heavier 300's and up type truck so there may be some sort of 413 4 brrl available for them. the 440 4 brrl was not introduced until the next series with IFS came out. i have heard rumors of a 70 or 71 440 truck from the factory but i'd have to see some sort of proof on that one to make me a believer in it being a real deal.
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y