**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
MJRODKUSTOM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oakland
State: CA

Yoke U-joints and driveshaft recommendations needed

Post by MJRODKUSTOM »

Lost my driveshaft yesterday while on the bridge coming home. I was cruising around 75 mph when it dropped and kicked out the side. Luckily it didn't hit any other cars, I was in the right line and I was able to coast into a turn off area of the bridge.

I've read through some posts but couldn't find all the information I needed regarding part numbers and brands for slip yoke, rear yoke and u-joints. I've heard that Spicer is highly recommended, Yukon, Strange, etc. My truck is a 71 D100 with a 440 conversion, 727 trans. The rear case is a 489. I was lucky to have the Caltrans driver go back and let me pick up the driveshaft. From the pictures, you can see I need just about everything underneath there. Does anyone have some part numbers for the slip yoke, front and rear u-joints, and rear yoke? Any help would be appreciated. I'll be taking all the parts into a driveline shop next week to see what it'll cost me.

Thanks!
Attachments
truck on bridge.JPG
tailshaft after.JPG
slip yoke.JPG
IMG_2612.JPG
IMG_2611.JPG
IMG_2610.JPG

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Yoke U-joints and driveshaft recommendations needed

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

San Mateo, eh? Probably have all of that sitting around the yard here somewhere. Any good shop can figure it all out by looking at it. What's wrong with the slip yoke?

MJRODKUSTOM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MJRODKUSTOM »

Yep, the San Mateo bridge. I'm going to drop it off at the driveline shop tomorrow. The slip yoke may be OK but I don't want to take any chances.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

Maybe this will help? It is after all in one piece.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-1970- ... TO&vxp=mtr
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

MJRODKUSTOM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MJRODKUSTOM »

Thanks for the link but I already had a new one made. I needed a new pinion and slip yoke as well. I installed it yesterday and when I backed out of the driveway it started leaking bad. Turns out the tailshaft case is cracked. I guess when the driveshaft let loose it put a lot of stress on transmission. Looks like the truck will be down and out a little longer. I'm going to the pull the trans and have it gone through. Not sure if I'll replace the entire thing or have it rebuilt with a new tailshaft housing.
Attachments
cracked case 3.png
cracked case 3.png (204.47 KiB) Viewed 786 times
cracked case 2.png
cracked case 2.png (184.89 KiB) Viewed 786 times
cracked case 1.jpg

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Ugly crack!
U can get about 40c/# for the scrap case, cleaned, at Aaron metals over on 105th :lol:

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

If the trans was working fine before a tail shaft is easily replaceable. No major issues with that. Externally if it looks the same and its a 727 it will bolt up and work. No fuss. Just four bolts and a clip.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

MJRODKUSTOM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MJRODKUSTOM »

PwrWgnDrvr- you're right, collect a little cash to help pay for a new one! I've been to that place before.

MadMC63- The trans was working fine but the fluid is dark gray, almost black in color. I'll be draining everything, replacing the filter, pan gasket, etc. The tailshaft is about 18"long so I need to find one soon. I know there is a clip that needs to be removed, never done it before. Is there a special tool to remove it?

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

You will see two phillip head screws on the tail shaft holding a metal plate. Remove the screws and the plate. Under it is an access hole to get at the clip on the tail shaft support bearing. You will need snap ring pliers that expand to release it and then pull the tailshaft housing off.
1971 Dodge D100

MJRODKUSTOM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MJRODKUSTOM »

Thanks for the advice! Just hope the output shaft isn't damaged too.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by MadMC63 »

Probably not. I've known a lot of people who thought a torque strap was a good idea until they realized if the engine doesn't move something else will. Seen many broken tail shafts but few bad parts.
1971 Dodge D100