**OPEN TECHNICAL HELP FOR ALL SWEPTLINE MODELS AND PROBLEMS**
Daveyboy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Re: Fuel tank relocaton

Post by Daveyboy »

HAIRYBIKINI wrote:Yes, I had to drill out the original swedges and relocated the brace further to the rear, and put in a new cross member to support the tank. I think this is a 16 gallon, but I'm not sure, it's an OG Ford Mustang tank I had laying around. I plan to use a pop top coming up through the bed, since the tank sits above the license plate.
Do you have anymore pics of your install? I am playing with the idea of mounting the tank in the rear as well but for some reason just cant grasp how to make it clean looking.

vabchmopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: mesa
State: AZ

Post by vabchmopar »

I used a chevy tank relocation kit from LMC. I took a challenger sending unit (because it was inexpensive) and replaced the resister pack on the chevy unit with the challenger one. The gauge works correctly and this is how it looks
Attachments
DSCN0077 (Custom).jpg
DSCN0077 (Custom).jpg (21.19 KiB) Viewed 2037 times

vabchmopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: mesa

Post by vabchmopar »

here it is finished
Attachments
IMG_20150405_144221_205 (Small).jpg

sweatybetty
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.w.
State: OR

Post by sweatybetty »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:I own over 30 swepts and have driven them daily since 78. With a leak free tank, fill pipe and cap, there are NEVER gas fumes in the cab. On the couple times there were, it was a leak somewhere that needing fixing. It is NOT normal.
+1

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: strathmore
State: Foreign

Post by builder »

if you go to the fb site for 61-71dodge sweptline shop and swap site there is a guy whom installed a dodge b body gas tank and i thing a filler tub for an imperial comes out right at the rear license plate hole

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Cris
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Cris »

JimE wrote:Both Surfnuke and I used a 33 gallon Bronco tank. The sending unit fits it fine, it is only off by a 1/8 of a tank. Jim
Howdy, what year Bronco tank did you folks buy.? 33 gallons & getting the tank out of the cab sounds excellent.!

Thanks in advance,

Cris
My truck, '66 W200 Crewcab. Got any parts.?

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,

Post by JimE »

76-79
03 Hemi Ram 2500

shopguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Central
State: NJ

Post by shopguy »

anyone use the side filler tank??????????? curious how the filler could route. I like the additional 4 gal. of capacity . 21 rather than 17.

builder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: strathmore

Post by builder »

FlatTop wrote:yeah I saw that episode also and the show was called Fantom works they are located in Norfolk Virginia. I wonder where they got the pop up filler cap from as it did not seem like something they made in the shop. it was a nice clean set up. I too am looking to relocate my fuel tank because I'm tired of trying to get the original filler cap to stop leaking and it would be nice to get the fuel smell out of the cab. so definitely looking at this option and thought I saw on here somewhere that folks were using the fuel tank from a Ram Charger.
you cAN BUY POP UP FILLER CAPS FOR CHOPPER TANKS sorry hit the caps and thats motorcyle.

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

Didn't someone put a newer dodge truck plastic tank in that fit between the frame rails. Then they ran a longer filler tube to keep the stock fill location? I seem to remember something like that.

Cody100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Inwood

Post by Cody100 »

Cody

1966 D-100 Custom

RH62
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RH62 »

Yeah that's it. I could have sworn though I saw somone make a filler tube that went into the cab and used the stock fill up location. Maybe I was dreaming.

Jhollett
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Norris Arm

Post by Jhollett »

You weren't. Unless we have had the same dream! Lol

hitparader
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Post by hitparader »

shopguy wrote:anyone use the side filler tank??????????? curious how the filler could route. I like the additional 4 gal. of capacity . 21 rather than 17.
The old aftermarket "saddle" tanks usually had a fill in the bed side, usually with a locking door. They were popular back in the days of campers. Many of them were super crude though, poorly welded steel boxes. Still, today that approach seems safer than the behind-the-axle approach, these frames were never engineered to protect a fuel tank on that location. Not that having 20 gals of fuel inches from your back in the cab is terribly safe either...