Door lock guidance wanted

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Noble
State: OK

Door lock guidance wanted

Post by 67D100Pickup »

I want to shore up my door locks. They haven’t worked for 23 years and the little connectors that block the door latch operation had both fallen off or been disconnected.

To start the process I stuck the key in one of them. It got stuck and I had to use WD40 and compressed air to get it back out.

I’ve heard WD40 in lock tumblers is a nono but it seemed reasonable in this case.

Everywhere I look for new ones they’re offering a different style, fatter than mine and they won’t work.

So, can a locksmith break them open and restore them? Should I inquire for new/used ones in the parts forum here? Do you know anywhere that sells the correct style or how to find them?

What would y’all suggest?

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Re: Door lock guidance wanted

Post by martincom »

I would think a locksmith would be able to disassemble, clean, lubricate and re-assemble. I'd start there.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Take them out and soak in solvent or penetrating oil.. Blow out and shoot full of lithium grease.
You might get lucky. Document missing parts and put ad in Wanted section. :thinking :thinking :salut
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 12:12 pm
Take them out and soak in solvent or penetrating oil.. Blow out and shoot full of lithium grease.
You might get lucky. Document missing parts and put ad in Wanted section. :thinking :thinking :salut
Yes to the solvent, EXCEPT, DO NOT USE OIL OR GREASE IN A LOCK!
I've done a ton of locksmith work and grease will gum the pins and springs so bad that it would fail to work at all.
Here is some info:
>Polytetrafluoroethylene, or PTFE, is a Teflon-based lubricant that dries inside the lock to leave behind a non-stick, water-repellent film on all the surfaces. Since it's dry, it doesn't attract dust or dirt.
>https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... +of+a+lcok

67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100Pickup »

martincom wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 4:51 am
I would think a locksmith would be able to disassemble, clean, lubricate and re-assemble. I'd start there.
Yes, I'm going with the locksmith. Less chance I destroy them worse :-)

--Jeff

67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100Pickup »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:56 pm
dodgeboykim wrote:
I've done a ton of locksmith work and grease will gum the pins and springs so bad that it would fail to work at all.
Here is some info:
>Polytetrafluoroethylene, or PTFE, is a Teflon-based lubricant that dries inside the lock to leave behind a non-stick, water-repellent film on all the surfaces. Since it's dry, it doesn't attract dust or dirt.
I went with a locksmith on this deal but that sounds like a good product for future reference.

The locksmith thought there was a good chance the doors would take a different key from the ignition. Do y'all have same key or different keys for doors and ignition?

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

My doors are different than the ignition in my 65 and in my 60. In later years I think both are the same key.
I pulled a pair of door locks from a truck with push button handles that matched the ignition. I’m not sure what year it was.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

67D100Pickup wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:53 pm
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
dodgeboykim wrote:
Here is some info:
I went with a locksmith on this deal but that sounds like a good product for future reference.

The locksmith thought there was a good chance the doors would take a different key from the ignition. Do y'all have same key or different keys for doors and ignition?
Make them work first if possible and then worry about correct lubrication.
And Sweptine ignition and doors is the same. Things get changed over the years.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

I stand corrected. Maybe mine have a similar problem as the original post.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 11:34 am
67D100Pickup wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:53 pm
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:

Here is some info:

Make them work first if possible and then worry about correct lubrication.
And Sweptine ignition and doors is the same. Things get changed over the years.
When using the key in the door lock. Are the teeth pointed up or down?

My ignition key won’t even go all the way into the lock.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

Up. Same as ignition.

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

if not going in all the way in keep spraying and wiggling ...unless something is stuck in it

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

nutz wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:29 pm
if not going in all the way in keep spraying and wiggling ...unless something is stuck in it
E
That has been the plan so far. Spray one day wiggle the next then rinse and repeat.
I thought about something being in there. But both are the same.
Being a fire department truck for its first 30 years I can’t help but wonder if the door locks were ever used. Probably just crusty inside.
Time and patience may prevail in the end. 🤞🤞
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100Pickup »

BigBlockTrucks wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 1:46 pm
nutz wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:29 pm
E
That has been the plan so far. Spray one day wiggle the next then rinse and repeat.
Being a fire department truck for its first 30 years I can’t help but wonder if the door locks were ever used. Probably just crusty inside.
Fire department! That's cool. Mine was Parks and Recreation maintenance. My mechanic friend has two of them, one outfitted as a tow truck. These trucks were work horses.

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

[quote=6l
E
[/quote]

Fire department! That's cool. Mine was Parks and Recreation maintenance. My mechanic friend has two of them, one outfitted as a tow truck. These trucks were work horses.
[/quote]

After the soak wiggle and rinse for a few days. The passenger side is working and the drivers side at least the key fits all the way in.
I used liquid wrench and patience. Next I may pull both locks and latches to work with them on the bench.

Thanks to the help from the board here.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Post by nutz »

i dont have one but one of my friends loves his
a sonic cleaner....think a small one is cheap think it would work great for something like that

Papaof9nine
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: BLAIR
State: NE

Post by Papaof9nine »

Have any of you replaced the door latches and handles without body work with a different type Mine have gotten very stiff and difficult to open Ihave been locked in as the door will not open The star wheel teeth have pieces chiped off from missalignment I'm guessing Also handles are stripping teeth on door Can not find replacement parts

Papaof9nine
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Papaof9nine »

Additional question Will car latches of the 60's fit

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

Papaof9nine wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:24 am
Have any of you replaced the door latches and handles without body work with a different type Mine have gotten very stiff and difficult to open Ihave been locked in as the door will not open The star wheel teeth have pieces chiped off from missalignment I'm guessing Also handles are stripping teeth on door Can not find replacement parts
Lets start with year of truck to confirm but by your comments its a 61 to early 65 truck.
. Refrigerator door handle latch assemblies can be rebuilt. Someone is doing them.
Good used inside handles can be found. If not installed correctly they will strip.
No you can't change whats there with something different without cutting and bodywork.

Papaof9nine
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Papaof9nine »

sorry it is a 62 d200