1967 D100 Door Window Weatherstrip and Seals

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Noble
State: OK

1967 D100 Door Window Weatherstrip and Seals

Post by 67D100Pickup »

I'm ready to fix the rattling in my door windows.

It looks like there are four different parts/styles, one piece around the top and rear, one at the inside bottom, one at the outside bottom, and one for the front in the vent window.

Does anyone have tips on the best vendor for all of these?

-- Jeff

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg
State: NJ

Re: 1967 D100 Door Window Weatherstrip and Seals

Post by nutz »

make sure you post what you find its on my list
there are other posts on it but so many choices

BigBlockTrucks
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Binghamton
State: NY

Post by BigBlockTrucks »

Check with a company named rubber the right way.
I bought a windshield seal for my 60 dodge truck from them. I’m happy with it.
Late 65 w 200.
Factory LU-2 winch.
Updates: 205 transfer case,4.10 gears, disc brake Dana 60 front with lock out hubs
440 repower in the works

60 d100
383 with 727
4 wheel disc
3.73 geared rear

67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100Pickup »

nutz wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:41 pm
make sure you post what you find its on my list
there are other posts on it but so many choices
Forgive me if you've told me before but can you point me to your list?

67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100Pickup »

BigBlockTrucks wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:17 pm
I'll check them out now. Thx.

--Jeff

67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100Pickup »

BigBlockTrucks wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:17 pm
Wow. They have great service. They're sending me a kit now, driver and passenger side $125 delivered.

Thank you!

--Jeff

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by nutz »

nice post how it fits

67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100Pickup »

nutz wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:04 pm
nice post how it fits
Ok. I installed the first two pieces called belt line seals. These are the strips on the bottom of the window inside the slot in the door.

The window rolled up fine but the pieces were so flimsy they folded inward and peeled off the mounts when the window went back down.

I ripped them off and will return them.

Still looking for decent quality window weather strips.

-- Jeff

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by nutz »

well that sux.....
i was reading how some fit better then others
guess need cross them off my shopping list

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

nutz wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:07 pm
I have not used them, but Steele Rubber Products has a huge selection, including many more-esoteric parts: https://www.steelerubber.com/
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by nutz »

i know if steel doesn't have them they will make it for you

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

I purchased nearly all my rubber as a master kit from Restoration Specialties. It was a mix of different manufacturers that made up the kit: Steele, Precision, etc. As to the pieces along the bottom of the glass, there are are two types. The catwhisker type that has a felt like material bonded to a stainless backing which, in turn, has clips on the backside to hook into slots in the door skin. The other type is a rubber flap material that also has clips on the backside to engage the slots in the door skin. I'm going to speculate this is the type you received. The rubber, by itself, is not rigid enough and the friction between it and the glass will cause it to drag up/down with the glass, possibly pulling it out of the clips or the clips from the slots in the door skin. The catwhisker type will not have this issue, due to the stainless backing.

None the less, I went with the rubber type to minimize how much water/sediment, foreign material was washed into the door. To prevent the issues you had, I glued them to the door skin, in addition to the clips, with 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. This adhesive keeps the rubber in place. Its been three years with no issues.

A tip for installing, lower the glass to expose the slots in the door skin. To do this, remove all but one of the regulator attaching bolts and loosen the third. This will allow the glass to drop lower. Be careful, however, to not let the regulator arm rollers come out out of the track at the bottom of the door glass, allowing the door glass to fall into the bottom of the door. Tape off the top of the doors to protect the finish from excess adhesive and to provide a straight edge to guide placement of the rubber, for a near appearance.

Also, to really quiet your doors and give them a "solid" feel when closing, apply Hushmat or similar product to the inside of the outer door skin. It makes a big difference. It does require pulling all the glass and vent wing assembly to do so, however. I had pulled all my glass as part of the restoration.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Niagara, ON
State: Foreign

Post by 67step100 »

I also purchased all my window rubber from Restoration Specialties but I did not use the rubber window scraper they provided in their kit. As martincom says, they are not rigid and rather flimsy. I used the felt cat whiskers and they installed quickly and are solid with the steel belt backing. I've never seen rubber used for whiskers. Even my '51 Studebaker pickup had felt whiskers and they work just fine. I believe I got the whiskers from Rock Auto. They are made by Fairchild so they are probably available from other suppliers.

67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100Pickup »

martincom wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:03 am
I purchased nearly all my rubber as a master kit from Restoration Specialties. It was a mix of different manufacturers that made up the kit: Steele, Precision, etc. As to the pieces along the bottom of the glass, there are are two types. The catwhisker type that has a felt like material bonded to a stainless backing which, in turn, has clips on the backside to hook into slots in the door skin. The other type is a rubber flap material that also has clips on the backside to engage the slots in the door skin. I'm going to speculate this is the type you received. The rubber, by itself, is not rigid enough and the friction between it and the glass will cause it to drag up/down with the glass, possibly pulling it out of the clips or the clips from the slots in the door skin. The catwhisker type will not have this issue, due to the stainless backing.

None the less, I went with the rubber type to minimize how much water/sediment, foreign material was washed into the door. To prevent the issues you had, I glued them to the door skin, in addition to the clips, with 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. This adhesive keeps the rubber in place. Its been three years with no issues.

A tip for installing, lower the glass to expose the slots in the door skin. To do this, remove all but one of the regulator attaching bolts and loosen the third. This will allow the glass to drop lower. Be careful, however, to not let the regulator arm rollers come out out of the track at the bottom of the door glass, allowing the door glass to fall into the bottom of the door. Tape off the top of the doors to protect the finish from excess adhesive and to provide a straight edge to guide placement of the rubber, for a near appearance.

Also, to really quiet your doors and give them a "solid" feel when closing, apply Hushmat or similar product to the inside of the outer door skin. It makes a big difference. It does require pulling all the glass and vent wing assembly to do so, however. I had pulled all my glass as part of the restoration.
This is great info! Especially the part about lowering the glass. I have ordered new felt style OEM beltine seals. I'm guessing that will work.

Thanks for the details!

--Jeff

67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100Pickup »

67step100 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:04 am
I also purchased all my window rubber from Restoration Specialties but I did not use the rubber window scraper they provided in their kit. As martincom says, they are not rigid and rather flimsy. I used the felt cat whiskers and they installed quickly and are solid with the steel belt backing. I've never seen rubber used for whiskers. Even my '51 Studebaker pickup had felt whiskers and they work just fine. I believe I got the whiskers from Rock Auto. They are made by Fairchild so they are probably available from other suppliers.
Yeah. I guess you'd have to glue those rubber strips on like martincom did. I have the felts from Fairchild on the way.

-- Jeff

67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100Pickup »

nutz wrote:
well that sux.....
guess need cross them off my shopping list
Well. Martincom said he glued them on and had good results. I guess they'd be fine if I had done that but I think I will prefer the steel-backed felt version.

-- Jeff

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by nutz »

yeah thanks for the explaining it
i was thinking the whisker type ...but now i know the advantage of the rubber
might do rubber out side and whisker on the inside

67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100Pickup »

Wildergarten wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:29 am
nutz wrote:
I have not used them, but Steele Rubber Products has a huge selection, including many more-esoteric parts: https://www.steelerubber.com/
The steelerubber site has some good stuff. It looks like their vent division bar weatherstrips are just what I need...

https://www.steelerubber.com/vent-divis ... 70-2135-56

Thanks again!

--Jeff

67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100Pickup »

I have the steel backed felt strips now but they don’t just push into the slots, they must slip over the steel.

I can’t see how on earth you are supposed to align all of these clips and slide them over the steel inside the slots, presumably all at once
Sample clip on test panel
Sample clip on test panel
Any tips on that?

— Jeff

67D100Pickup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67D100Pickup »

Replying to self in case it helps anyone…

I dropped the window completely inside the door to get it out of the way. (This tip was inspired by martincom)

Then I got a helper to help hold the steel-backed strip in position while we carefully positioned all of the tabs at their attachment slots using screwdrivers to help hold the strip toward the steel. Then started pushing the strip down over the steel until all were done.

Mission accomplished.

—Jeff