paint gun

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
flyngreenmole
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sandy
State: OR

paint gun

Post by flyngreenmole »

im looking for a decent paint gun for primer and paint. not needing top of the line but also dont want a pos. im not scared to spend a bit of money but also dont want to drop a grand on a gun i may only use a couple times. what do you guys suggest? not hobo freight! :lol: thanks for any input! brian
your only crazy until your not!

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: paint gun

Post by Hobcobble »

flyngreenmole wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:30 pm
im looking for a decent paint gun for primer and paint. not needing top of the line but also dont want a pos. im not scared to spend a bit of money but also dont want to drop a grand on a gun i may only use a couple times. what do you guys suggest? not hobo freight! :lol: thanks for any input! brian
Maybe talk with a local body shop? :thinking :2cents

John

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

Hobcobble wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:12 am

Maybe talk with a local body shop? :thinking :2cents

John
Bodyshops don't use cheap "er" guns. :lol: YEARS ago, I would say bet the BINKS #7 spray gun... but that gun is a dinosaur now. We used that gun for Synthetic Enamels, and other paints like Imron too. If it were me, I'd just buy a HF job Gravity Fed gun. Maybe not the cheapest one, but "IF" I needed one, I would get one from them. Especially IF I was only going to use it a couple of times.

Check out Harbor Freight spray guns on Youtube. I looked (real quick) and found they are liked by people. :salut Good Luck!
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg

Post by nutz »

it depends on what your spraying
the newest paints need the newest guns
i haven't painted in years ,since i made friends with a couple of body shop owners
but different types of paints need different guns
you need a stable air supply and a controlled enviroment for a great paint job
i would think a couple of $200 guns will get 90% of your needs

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

I'm as old as Jims68 and still have a couple of Binks Model 7s hanging on hooks. I didn't have a dedicated paint booth in my shop and painting anything of size just makes far too much mess in the shop, so I've been hiring it out.

For what I have been spraying, I've been utilizing a "turbine" system, which is a HVLP with a dedicated compressor that feeds air to the paint gun via rubber garden hose. Similar to: https://www.tptools.com/Showtime-99-Fin ... l?b=d*8049 Other than primer and some tractor enamel, I haven't done much automotive painting with this. I've sprayed hundreds of gallons of polyurethane and varnish for the woodwork on the last new home I built and furniture projects.

I do purchase buffing supplies from a vendor that specializes in auto body supplies and sells the better grade of products at a good price. I know they offer name brand paint guns. You may want to give them a call and ask for a recommendation. https://www.tptools.com/HVLP-Paint-Spray-Guns.html

I'm toying with a paint booth for my new shop. So please keep us informed with what you purchase and how it performs. I may also be in the market.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

I am a house painter by trade but have shot vehicles a few times. For most of my needs the HVLP type worked great, but it was slower to me than a conventional air gun.
I was comfortable with a DevilBiss JGA siphon gun but that was ages ago. I have used gravity guns on piece work but never did an entire vehicle with one.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

martincom wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:24 am
I'm as old as Jims68 and still have a couple of Binks Model 7s hanging on hooks. I didn't have a dedicated paint booth in my shop and painting anything of size just makes far too much mess in the shop, so I've been hiring it out.

For what I have been spraying, I've been utilizing a "turbine" system, which is a HVLP with a dedicated compressor that feeds air to the paint gun via rubber garden hose. Similar to: https://www.tptools.com/Showtime-99-Fin ... l?b=d*8049 Other than primer and some tractor enamel, I haven't done much automotive painting with this. I've sprayed hundreds of gallons of polyurethane and varnish for the woodwork on the last new home I built and furniture projects.
I just wanted to add.... since we (actually my dad) closed the body shop I had to do all my stuff at home. And you're right about a dedicated paint booth, but I STILL did all my work on my '68 Sweptline AND my '56 DeSoto all at home in my garage. I see you mentioned the TPTools turbine unit. YES, when I did my work at home, I had bought one of those and it worked great. (I still have it, but never use it anymore) I believe mine is the TP90. So, you don't have to worry about any oils or conatminates in your compressor OR your air line as this setup uses it's own supply. AnyHOO... just thought I'd add that in too.
Jim

nutz
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: phillipburg

Post by nutz »

my friend would say why spend $300 on a helmet for a $200 head
just saying unless your going all in you will most likely get good results from a ok gun

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

At the price of paint, purchasing a dud paint gun can be an awfully expensive mistake.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

flyngreenmole
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sandy
State: OR

Post by flyngreenmole »

thanks for all the feedback, you guys have givin me a lot to chew on! my air is good, i spent some time and money building a compressor to keep up with my needs. i have been gravitating toward the devilbiss guns, they seem to provide quality and value. this is attractive to me for the bang for buck without going too cheap.... im a ways out before paint but trying to accumulate the stuff i need...
your only crazy until your not!

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

DeVilbiss always made a good gun, but to be honest, I've been "out of that work" for so long, it's really hard for me to say. Other than that TPTools system I bought. Anyway, GOOD LUCK with your truck! :salut AND other projects down the road. It seems they always keep coming. :lol:
Jim

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Yes things that were of excellent quality in the 70s, 80s & 90s may not be so today. So much has changed over the years, greed has pushed quality aside in several industries.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab