Carpet on gas tank - ACC Kit

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
mnwebb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: St.Paul
State: MN

Carpet on gas tank - ACC Kit

Post by mnwebb »

Hey all - I've ben trying to fit my ACC carpet and it doesn't help that it hasn't warmed up in these parts yet so the carpet isn't very moldable. I'll try more weight and some more time with he heat gun.

What I'm really curious about is how people suggest that you get the carpet to stay vertical on the gas tank. I would really like to find a solution where it doesn't have to be glued down, but maybe that isn't possible?

High strength magnets aren't staying put, but perhaps I can find larger ones.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
W

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Carpet on gas tank - ACC Kit

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Originals were held in place by a row of screws along the top.

mnwebb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mnwebb »

PwrWgnDrver -

Did they go into the top seam of the tank, the lip where both sides of the tank come together?

Thanks,
W

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Are talking about carpet and not the vinyl flooring from ACC? If carpet, pretty sure it was only used in the CSS with bucket seats and not with a bench seat. That carpet/curtain was attached above the tank on the cab just below the window (at least it was on my '68 Adventurer with buddy seats.) I attached it in that location on my '67 when I added the buddy seats. I used snaps to easily remove and had binding around the perimeter.
Attachments
IMG_2370 (2).JPG
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

mnwebb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mnwebb »

Txas2step -

Yes, just the carpet. I think that you are correct, it was just the CSS models.

Good idea with eh snaps, thanks!

-W

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

I believe the carpet over fuel tank came with Buddy Seat option. And the top edge is attached to cab , Not the fuel tank. And passenger side has snaps to access the jack if so equipped. I have the Buddy Seats from a 68 and the carpet Thats in my 66 W100 came from the 68 donor truck.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

mnwebb wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:07 am
Txas2step -

Yes, just the carpet. I think that you are correct, it was just the CSS models.

Good idea with eh snaps, thanks!

-W
The gas tank carpet was also used on the Adventurer in 1968 :salut Mine had screws with a trim washer and screws down the driver side. On the Passenger side they had these "snaps" so you could pop the carpet loose and remove the jack that is held behind the carpet on the passenger side.
Attachments
688P8250036.JPG
687P8250035.JPG
685P8250033.JPG
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

ACC's floor carpet has added length and it appeared to be cut to fit the floor area beneath the fuel tank. As many folks opt to eliminate the behind the seat fuel tank, that is a nice feature. I retained my cab tank and just let that excess rest against the tank, with no adhesive.

The front edge of the ACC carpet is long enough to go to the top of the factory fiber firewall insulator. As the carpet has as much or more insulating quality, I eliminated the factory fiber firewall insulator and let the carpet replace it. I utilized large flange Christmas tree fasteners to secure the carpet through the holes formerly occupied by the fiber insulating board retainers.

My first ACC carpet shipment didn't fit well and would actually rub against the side of the accelerator pedal, potentially causing it to stick. I had ordered it through Rock Auto. Both Rock Auto and ACC made it right and sent out another carpet. The second fit much better.

The tricky part is cutting out for the steering column. It is easy to over cut and I did with the first carpet. I was far more conservative with my cuts on the second installation and obtained a better fit around the column.

Did your fuel tank cover carpet come with the edges hemmed or was it just a raw edge. If hemmed, what is the PN and where did you order it?
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

martincom wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:41 pm
Did your fuel tank cover carpet come with the edges hemmed or was it just a raw edge. If hemmed, what is the PN and where did you order it?
The original had the edges bound, but the one I put on my tank was a home made job from black 5X8 area carpet I bought at Walmart for $10. It had the edge bound around it, but it was a bigger piece, so I used the bound part at the TOP. the sides are kind of hidden by the seat, so that didn't matter. This is what I used and it worked great!
Attachments
599P8250026.JPG
Jim

mnwebb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by mnwebb »

Thanks Jims68 and Martincom -

Those pics were very helpful, and the descriptions.

Turns out that I didn't have the carpet far enough up the firewall and the ACC kit isn't meant to go on the tank as well. That and, as one of you said, there is some extra material that needs to be trimmed in order to make it fit.

She's well on the way now, thanks!
-W

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Thanks for the update. I never mentioned that I have the rubber mat in mine and I don't know about the ACC carpets.
Jim

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

Jims68 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:51 pm
The original had the edges bound, but the one I put on my tank was a home made job from black 5X8 area carpet I bought at Walmart for $10. It had the edge bound around it, but it was a bigger piece, so I used the bound part at the TOP. the sides are kind of hidden by the seat, so that didn't matter. This is what I used and it worked great!
It must have been awhile ago. I couldn't find any carpets like that on Walmart's web page, let alone for $10. I found a number of online outlets that offer it by the yard, but quite a bit more plus shipping, which ceased to be affordable a few years ago. Once we get moved and I get my tools unpacked, I'll likely do something. It "cleans up" a raw appearance and it should offer some deadening, as well.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

martincom wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:39 am
It must have been awhile ago. I couldn't find any carpets like that on Walmart's web page, let alone for $10. I found a number of online outlets that offer it by the yard, but quite a bit more plus shipping, which ceased to be affordable a few years ago. Once we get moved and I get my tools unpacked, I'll likely do something. It "cleans up" a raw appearance and it should offer some deadening, as well.
That was the price the FIRST time I bought it and when that photo was taken. But, I had to replace it back in Sept. 2020 when I had a gas leak. My carpet was ruined, so I went to the store itself and was able to buy it. AT that time, the price was $20 for that carpet. You may have to get it during the time when kids are going back to college... so they will have carpet in their dorms. Here is a picture of my account purchase the last time I bought it at Walmart.
Attachments
Carpet.jpg
Jim

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by martincom »

Thanks Jim. I found it on Walmart's web page. Out of stock online and not carried in any of the stores near me. I'll check again towards fall and see if it is available then. Still $19.99.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

martincom wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:56 am
Thanks Jim. I found it on Walmart's web page. Out of stock online and not carried in any of the stores near me. I'll check again towards fall and see if it is available then. Still $19.99.
It probably will be available then because I think it was for college dorms. Seem to remember something about that on the sale sign in the store. I kinda forget now. :thinking
Jim