Installing Side Window Whiskers

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Niagara, ON
State: Foreign

Installing Side Window Whiskers

Post by 67step100 »

Did a search and someone asked this question but there was no discernible reply. I am replacing the window whiskers on each door, as well as all the channels and seals. I am not removing the glass but it is in the way if I am to get the clips in place. This will especially be the case if I get one side in, there will be no room to push the glass aside to install the opposite side whisker.

To drop the window a bit to get it out of the way, is it enough to just unscrew the 4 screws holding the window winder in place and lower the winder with the glass to get it out of the way? It looks straight forward but maybe lowering the winder and glass will mess up something else. Before I go ahead I thought I would ask the question. Thanks.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Installing Side Window Whiskers

Post by Jims68 »

It's been a long time since I did mine, but I think I had all the screws OUT of the regulator so the window would drop all the way below that lip. Otherwise, you can't get the whiskers in.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

Jims68 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:22 pm
It's been a long time since I did mine, but I think I had all the screws OUT of the regulator so the window would drop all the way below that lip. Otherwise, you can't get the whiskers in.
Thanks Jim, that is what I was hoping. Yes, I will remove the 4 screws and then lower the whole unit maybe 2", just enough to be able to get the whiskers in place.

MikeM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: tucson
State: AZ

Post by MikeM »

Been a long time since I mine as well but I recall once I remove the all lining that goes on the front, top and back of door glass there was enough movement in glass for me to install those whiskers. I need to replace mine again so let me know how it goes

Thanks
.MikeM

67step100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 67step100 »

Just wanted to follow up as I have one side complete. I did not lower the window as I was planning. I removed 3 of the 4 screws and the whole unit wanted to move. Worried I would not be able to get the holes lined back up again I put the 3 screws back in place. I should point out that I used the Rockauto whiskers, which are the felt ones. After reading up on the difficulties others were having with the original rubber ones I opted for the stiff felt ones. I would recommend doing the inside whisker first. You just tilt the whisker so the catch is inside the hole, then straighten up and push down at the same time. Dodge should have designed a much larger access hole behind the panel for easier installation of the window channel felt and general cleanup and repairs.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Post by martincom »

I just did mine the other day. I was concerned about removing all of the regulator screws and having it fall into the bottom of the door. So I proceeded as 67step100 did and only removed three of the four. I left the lower front, bottom, regulator screw in place and only loosened it. The glass can then be pushed down enough to allow for installation of the cat whiskers. Do not push down any more than necessary as the regulator rollers will disengage from their track channels.

I utilized the rubber cat whiskers as they appeared as they would seal against the glass better and they came in the complete weatherstrip kit I had ordered from Restoration Specialties. However, I was concerned they would not be rigid enough to remain in place. So in addition to the clips, I glued them in place with 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. They look good and remain in place.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration