Headliner

Body, Trim, Interior, Dealer options, Paint e tc..
GreenHornet
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Friday Harbor
State: WA

Headliner

Post by GreenHornet »

Have a '69 Custom. Headliner long gone and looking for a replacement. It has the silver metal channel and the little screw and mounting point centered. Suggestions for a replacement or possibly an upholstery shop trip? Thanks.

martincom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Five Points
State: AL

Re: Headliner

Post by martincom »

I'd reach out to these folks and see what they can do for you:

https://smsautofabrics.com/

If you strike out and I haven't actually done this, but I would start with a sheet of 1/8 hardboard, from a lumber yard or big box home improvement store, and create a panel that will fit in the headliner opening. I would then glue a foam headliner material to it utilizing the 3M spray upholstery adhesive.
Last edited by martincom on Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1*1971 D100 318 A/T
1*1970 Charger R/T 440-6PK A/T
2*1969 Daytona Charger 440 A/T
1*1969 Coronet R/T awaiting restoration
1*1969 Torino Talladega awaiting restoration

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

martincom wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:26 am
I'd reach out to these folks and see what they can do for you:

https://smsautofabrics.com/

If you strike out and I haven't actually done this, but I would start with a sheet of 1/8 hardboard, from a limber yard or big box home improvement store, and create a panel that will fit in the headliner opening. I would then glue a foam headliner material to it utilizing the 3M spray upholstery adhesive.
Interesting idea, as the insulation value helps a lot with the high temperature problem from the steel and might also have acoustical value, but one would need a way to tuck that composite under all four edges of the interior sheet metal sufficiently that it retains its arch. Let me know how it comes out next fall!
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The 69 Custom headliner is different than what fits into the center of the roof. The Custom headliner is a cardboard/poster board type material that is formed to the shape of the entire roof and is trimmed on the edge by the aluminum edging mentioned by the OP. It is held in place by shape, the edge trim and screws.

I have one here for sale if wanted as a pattern to match to.